Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

What is your MBTI Personality Type?

Tags: Personality | Poll
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
Poll Question: What is your MBTI Personality Type?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
55 [25.35%]
51 [23.50%]
12 [5.53%]
13 [5.99%]
86 [39.63%]
You can not vote in this poll

139 messages over 18 pages: 1 24 5 6 7 ... 3 ... 17 18 Next >>
Tenebrarum
Groupie
United States
Joined 5191 days ago

84 posts - 115 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi

Message 17 of 139
21 June 2011 at 10:17pm | IP Logged 
ISFP

Introverted (I) 79%     Extraverted (E) 21%
Sensing (S) 50%     Intuitive (N) 50%
Feeling (F) 70%     Thinking (T) 30%
Perceiving (P) 82%     Judging (J) 18%

Edited by Tenebrarum on 21 June 2011 at 11:12pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Quinn
United States
Joined 6108 days ago

134 posts - 186 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Italian, Spanish

Message 18 of 139
21 June 2011 at 10:20pm | IP Logged 
Interesting that the results are so lopsided so far. I would have expected that more language lovers here would exhibit extroverted characteristics stemming from their desire to interact with others.

Perhaps many of you are introverts like myself and, like me, would rather spend time cultivating your skills in your home library than going to parties or whatever it is that more social folks like to do. : )

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5819 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 19 of 139
21 June 2011 at 11:02pm | IP Logged 
A long long time ago I did the Myers-Briggs test and scored as INTP. More recently I did it again and, surprise, I was an INFJ ^_^'. These things are not set in stone, attitudes change. It does make me wonder, however, why there is no INFJ in the poll.

Edited by Sennin on 21 June 2011 at 11:09pm

LebensForm
Austria
Joined 4835 days ago

212 posts - 264 votes 
Studies: German

Message 20 of 139
21 June 2011 at 11:38pm | IP Logged 
Ta-dah, your personality type is ISTJ!

Introverted (I) 96% Extraverted (E) 4%
Sensing (S) 64% Intuitive (N) 36%
Thinking (T) 90% Feeling (F) 10%
Judging (J) 100% Perceiving (P) 0%

Interesting... 100% wooow... otherwise my results didn't suprise me much.

simonov
Portugal
Joined 5374 days ago

222 posts - 438 votes 
Speaks: English

Message 22 of 139
22 June 2011 at 11:08am | IP Logged 
Ta-dah, your personality type is INTP!
Introverted (I) 55%      Extraverted (E) 45%
Intuitive (N) 55%      Sensing (S) 45%
Thinking (T) 70%      Feeling (F) 30%
Perceiving (P) 68%      Judging (J) 32%
Result seems to be spot on according to the description given on the haleonline results page.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6488 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 23 of 139
22 June 2011 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
Kuikentje wrote:
I think that
...Iversen is INTJ

Kuikentje, sometimes you amaze me! I actually took both tests, but these things have been discussed before so in an old thread I found a link to a whole homepage about the test, and there were some descriptions which could be used as an alternative to a test. The 'long' test said "Ta-dah, your personality type is ISTJ!". The short test said INTJ. My own evaluation based on the pathways homepage also said INTJ. The percentages in the long test were Introverted (I) 82%, Sensing (S) 68%, Thinking (T) 100%, Judging (J) 73%.

OK, next question: why didn't I get the same result in all three cases?

Wikipedia says this about ISTJs: "ISTJs are faithful, logical, organized, sensible, and earnest traditionalists (traditionalist?? I don't even own a tie..). They earn success by thoroughness and dependability. Shutting out distractions, they take a practical, logical approach to their endeavors. Realistic and responsible, they work steadily toward their goals. They enjoy creating order in both their professional and personal lives. (Order? me? My lists are orderly, but they lie around in 100% chaos).

The short test (Hale) said this about INTJs: "You are a strong individualist who seeks out new angles or novel ways of looking at things...enjoy coming to new understandings ... insightful and mentally quick...but this quickness is not always obvious to others since you keep a lot to yourself...you're logical and analytical and ingenious.. You are very determined and trust your vision of the possibilities, regardless of what other people think...you are VERY independent...you are quiet yet firm....You're a damn perfectionist!! Appear serious and reserved... might be labelled "brains" by others...you probably do/did well in school because you set internal goals for yourself.. being sociable just isn't worth your time and energy...unless there's a purpose for you...you don't like bureaucracy icky because you have to fit into other people's systems and not your own...You might be frugal unless the money is spent on something you value (like education or a Storm Palace subscription)...you learn best when you can design your own approach...you have a thirst for knowledge..you probably enjoy lectures, libraries, courses and so on... "

This is 100&% spot on.

Wikipedia's INTJ's are like this: "INTJs are analytical. Like INTPs, they are most comfortable working alone and tend to be less sociable than other types. Nevertheless, INTJs are prepared to lead if no one else seems up to the task, or if they see a major weakness in the current leadership. They tend to be pragmatic, logical, and creative. They have a low tolerance for spin or rampant emotionalism. They are not generally susceptible to catchphrases and do not recognize authority based on tradition, rank, or title."

Generally much better than the one about ISTJ, so I buy the INTJ verdict (see also this).

So where did the long test go wrong? The difference seems to be that its authors didn't take independent thought into account, - they thought that being fuzzy about details and rules and prudence was a sign of orderliness and a conservative mind, and that order was something given which you just had to adhere to (or not). But my order is selvimposed and only concerns limited areas, and those areas are surrounded by piles of intuitive fluid chaos.

This reminds me of a language learning style test, where the authors thought that you either were details-oriented OR structure-oriented. The problem is that I'm both to an extreme degree, but with areas where I don't care about neither details nor structures. And the test couldn't catch this.

Edited by Iversen on 23 June 2011 at 11:14am

LebensForm
Austria
Joined 4835 days ago

212 posts - 264 votes 
Studies: German

Message 24 of 139
22 June 2011 at 4:55pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Wikipedia says this about ISTJs: "ISTJs are faithful, logical, organized, sensible, and earnest traditionalists (traditionalist?? I don't even own a tie..). They earn success by thoroughness and dependability. Shutting out distractions, they take a practical, logical approach to their endeavors. Realistic and responsible, they work steadily toward their goals. They enjoy creating order in both their professional and personal lives. (Order? me? My lists are orderly, but they lie around in 100% chaos)[/QUOTE> .

I am ISTJ and I dont agree with the traditional part either. I hardly ever wear dresses, I do not by any means live the traditional woman stereotype. Maybe I should take the short test and see if my results change, I do question the validity of personality tests in general, but I'll save that for another time.

Edited by LebensForm on 22 June 2011 at 4:59pm

This discussion contains 139 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version