63 messages over 8 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next >>
Giovanni
Spain
Joined 4686 days ago

3 posts - 5 votes
Studies: English

Message 1 of 63
21 June 2011 at 6:24pm | IP Logged 
I am an undergraduate language student, with the aim to be a Translator and interpreter when I finish my studies. But I see more and more people using online softwares, GoogleTranslators above all, to translate sentences, documents, websites etc. even fellow language students using them to do university work.
Are free Translations Softwares online killing future Translators? Question have your say.....

In a university in Barcelona there is a convention to discuss those issues today and tomorrow, go if you are there. more info here:

http://www.language-culture-translation.blogspot.com/
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5380 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 2 of 63
21 June 2011 at 6:59pm | IP Logged 
"Those damned motorcars are killing my future" cried the farrier.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4896 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, Toki Pona, German, French

Message 3 of 63
21 June 2011 at 7:07pm | IP Logged 
Even in Star Trek Enterprise, when the universal translator (way beyond Google Translator) already existed, Hoshi Sato, linguist extraordinaire, was still essential. So you should be good for a few centuries, anyway.
10 persons have voted this message useful

xees
Joined 4833 days ago

28 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Vietnamese

Message 4 of 63
21 June 2011 at 7:11pm | IP Logged 
They will never translate idioms and slang accurately and that is such a large part of language. I wouldn't worry too much

5 persons have voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5866 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 5 of 63
21 June 2011 at 7:15pm | IP Logged 
Have you actually tried using one of those translators? There's a huge chance that what you want will come out as gibberish -- or at the most inaccurate.

An English student of mine uses this at work and says it's very unreliable for writing his e-mails. Most words used at the company for emails (require, according to, concerning, included, accept) usually so twisted in some business jargon that they don't make any sense when you run them through the translator. I won't be overly critical of those things. I use them for language study. It's still a great help to business people who don't speak a second language, but it has to be taken with a grain of salt and there has to be a reliable checker (aka person) so that misunderstandings don't occur.

That's still a far cry from translation. Being a translator is not just competing with Google, you have to be very advanced. (A lot of translators go into some technical or juristic field -- that's where translators are needed the most.) It's a tough and underpaid profession unless you're really specialized. As many forum members will attest..

Edited by Sunja on 21 June 2011 at 7:19pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4911 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 6 of 63
21 June 2011 at 7:30pm | IP Logged 
Giovanni wrote:
Are free Translations Softwares online killing future Translators?

No.

Online translators will not replace interpreters, nor will they replace any sort of legal documentation, among many other types of binding documents.

As others have asked, have you actually used any of these online translators for anything professional? They don't cut it. They won't cut it for a long time. And frankly, if I were a university professor, I'd be able to spot such translated documents in short order and grade accordingly.

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 21 June 2011 at 7:33pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6363 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 7 of 63
21 June 2011 at 8:00pm | IP Logged 
Automated translation is pretty crappy at the moment. I suspect it will become pretty good in the near future—
certainly before your carreer is over if you're just starting it now. However, while I'm pretty sure machines will be
able to generate correct and understandable language pretty soon, translation of works of art such as novels and
poetry will require more than just that. And as such, the need for translators will probably be diminished, but I
don't believe it will disappear completely anytime soon.
7 persons have voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5866 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 8 of 63
21 June 2011 at 8:30pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
translation of works of art such as novels and poetry will require more than just that

Let's not forget translation of "business English".

I've seen what runs through the email databases those big companies. whoo, we need people to help decipher through that mess, too!

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 63 messages over 8 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version