63 messages over 8 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 68 Next >>
Giovanni
Spain
Joined 4692 days ago

3 posts - 5 votes
Studies: English

Message 49 of 63
12 July 2011 at 12:12pm | IP Logged 
Considering how much machines are getting closer to match the capabilities of a translator, at the moment is probarly not a problem, but i think as more and more people are using machines to translate from my language to another. Eventually those softwares will reach a perfection that will mean that more and more Translators will loose more and more customers.
1 person has voted this message useful

SomeGuy
Groupie
Germany
Joined 4887 days ago

56 posts - 75 votes 
Speaks: German*
Studies: Arabic (Written), Turkish, Mandarin

Message 50 of 63
09 November 2012 at 4:47pm | IP Logged 
Microsoft research blog post:
http://blogs.technet.com/b/next/archive/2012/11/08/microsoft -research-shows-a-promising-new-breakthrough-in-speech-trans lation-technology.aspx#.UJ0j1WfJn06
Looks pretty promising.

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4455 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 51 of 63
09 November 2012 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
I'm a medical doctor and I have never said

''Vitamins, Fitness and Gyms'' are killing my future.

The aim of humanity is not to make doctors rich, but to make people healthy.

The same should be applied to those who study languages in order to make money.
You can't stop people from using their own brain and services instead of relying on paid, profit-making tutors and interpreters.

If you want to make $$$ learn Mandarin, or Japanese,
otherwise you'll end up whining you're starving on your Spanish-English translation career. The marked is flooded with Spanish, French and Italian interpretors.

Try languages which US Army labels as focus languages: Mandarin, Japanese, Arabic, Russian...

Edited by Medulin on 09 November 2012 at 7:10pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4455 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 52 of 63
09 November 2012 at 7:17pm | IP Logged 
crystal.yang wrote:
I don't think you should be worried now. The google translator can not translate accurate. When it translates a pieces of article, many mistakes will be found in the result .

The Google translations of Norwegian, and French pages are very readable.
The translations of Mandarin and Japanese are not.

So, in the future, all those ''similar to English' languages will be translated with a machine, while human translators /interpreters will be sought for only very different -from-English languages, like Arabic, Mandarin, Thai or Japanese...

For the time being, the purpose of Google translator is ''translate languages into English'', that's why Russian to English translation is many times more accurate than Portuguese into Spanish translation...All non-English translations are translated via English.

Edited by Medulin on 09 November 2012 at 7:18pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6490 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 53 of 63
11 November 2012 at 8:15pm | IP Logged 
More or less the worst language pair I have met is English <-> Latin, but contrary to expectation Danish <-> Latin or other combinations with Latin aren't much worse.

The Dutch <-> something translations are also fairly bad.

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5653 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 54 of 63
12 November 2012 at 3:24am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
The Dutch <-> something translations are also fairly bad.

Do you mean Dutch <> something other than English?

I've always considered Google Dutch <> English translations to be very good. But I have not used many others except Spanish <> English and German <> English. I'd say the Dutch <> English translations are comparable to those in Spanish and German.

Which XXX <> something do you consider better than Dutch <> something?

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4917 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 55 of 63
12 November 2012 at 4:44am | IP Logged 
Medulin wrote:

If you want to make $$$ learn Mandarin, or Japanese,
otherwise you'll end up whining you're starving on your Spanish-English translation
career. The marked is flooded with Spanish, French and Italian interpretors.

That's not really true, at least in the US. There are many, MANY people that claim to
be interpreters in these language pairs, but if you plan on doing any interpretation
for most state (or certainly federal) court systems, some sort of testing and vetting
is done in order to interpret in courts. Particularly for Spanish, both state and
federal level testing exists, and the courts rely on it. Interpreters also usually
need to be registered with their respective county/state and/or federally, and to be
registered as an official court interpreter a certificate demonstrating you've passed
these exams is required, although this varies from state to state. Larger metropolitan
areas do require it.

Unless you're registered with these agencies, you most likely will not see or hear
about most interpreting jobs. Pass the exam(s), get registered with your county, state
or federal agency and you'll have many opportunities.

R.
==
3 persons have voted this message useful

Majka
Triglot
Czech Republic
kofoholici.wordpress
Joined 4444 days ago

307 posts - 755 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, German, English
Studies: French
Studies: Russian

Message 56 of 63
12 November 2012 at 10:45am | IP Logged 
Well, Czech is still quite resistant to Google Translate - ranging from "what could it mean" to "completely wrong".

As for interpreters and, to lesser degree translators:

I suspect it is everywhere in the word the same. There are many people claiming to be interpreters/translators, some of them simply not seeing their own faults. But try to find a good, reliable one, especially in some slightly specialized fields (I don't mean the language but technical field or similar).

I had never claimed to be translator from/into English but I did few of such translations, because the results from professional translator were worse then mine (because of lacking terminology and knowledge of the matter and mentioned laws). My translations did need proofreading, had few grammar errors, but didn't need the deciphering the professional ones did.

As in any field, the top people will find work any time, and will be able to dictate their prices. Their names will get around very quickly.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 63 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version