N/A
Joined 6646 days ago

174 posts - 177 votes 
6 sounds
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Hungarian, Turkish

Message 33 of 164
23 June 2006 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
IQ is everything. I say compulsory testing for aspiring political candidates!
1 person has voted this message useful

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6757 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 34 of 164
23 June 2006 at 5:41pm | IP Logged 
CaitO'Ceallaigh wrote:
Actually, in Kató Lomb's book, How I Learn Languages, she talks about using a dictionary to learn a language. Her system sounds quite similar to what Sigiloso is talking about.

Even though she likes to start out by poking around a dictionary extensively, after that phase her approach does include one rather conventional element, a textbook:

“Following this first assay, I buy a textbook and some works of Azilian literature, all together. Of the first, I always buy one with answers provided for the questions in the exercises ...

“I go through the lessons and do all the written exercises in sequence, as they come in the book. ...

“As all this is a bit tedious, right from the outset I start reading Azilian plays or short stories. If I’m lucky, there will be ‘adapted’ texts available. If not, I just start on any literature ...

Note that she is also willing to start with simplified readers.

So, her approach does not seem to be entirely devoid of conventional elements, although one should probably read her book to get a clearer sense of how "wild" her techniques really were.

Edited by frenkeld on 23 June 2006 at 5:43pm

Coovertown
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6543 days ago

57 posts - 58 votes 
Speaks: Korean, English*
Studies: French

Message 35 of 164
26 June 2006 at 8:48am | IP Logged 
The original poster/thread starter seems merely a "Donald Trump" of languages; doesn't have much to show for, so he (I know you women are smarter than us guys, that's why I say he) boasts about how many languages he pretends to know. I'm sure he's just a white racist biggot who forgets that the Iberian Peninsula was once under Arabic command.

Is it ok to use curse words in this forum? I'm a New Yorker and feel very much compelled to use one of "George Carlin's 7 words you can never say" whenever I feel angry. Beats smoking.

Edited by Coovertown on 26 June 2006 at 8:50am

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6757 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 36 of 164
26 June 2006 at 11:32am | IP Logged 
Coovertown wrote:
... who forgets that the Iberian Peninsula was once under Arabic command.

And that proves what?

Edited by frenkeld on 26 June 2006 at 11:48am

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6682 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 37 of 164
26 June 2006 at 11:35am | IP Logged 
Swearing back might not make the best impression here, even if it is easier on your lungs than smoking. :-P

I don't know what to make of the way these ideas have been presented. I think they are interesting, but the poster's comments have been so jumbled they are hard to follow, and at points even take seriously. That's unfortunate, because the mystery of what makes a polyglot tick (myself hoping to be one) is one of my favorite topics to mull on.

CaitO'Ceallaigh
Triglot
United States
katiekelly.wordpress
Joined 6671 days ago

795 posts - 829 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Czech, German

Message 38 of 164
26 June 2006 at 2:19pm | IP Logged 
When you go back to the original post, you can see that the motive all along was to get people worked up. It's not like we weren't warned. When you read a statement like, "Now, gonna come up here with something new, Im afraid; hope some of you don't get upset...dreaded territory for many I suppose," you know what's coming. We all took the bait. Serves us right!

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6682 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 39 of 164
26 June 2006 at 2:57pm | IP Logged 
:-) Well okay. Nevertheless the idea of IQ corresponding to polyglottery is still fascinating in my opinion, even if it did get terribly hard to follow in this thread. In anyway, there's probably a clearer way to handle all this, if it cannot be "resurrected" in a better form already. IQ corresponding to anything will probably ever be controversial. I've never taken an IQ test, and I'm not sure I want to anymore, but that won't stop me from wanting to learn languages and become a polyglot, even if I fail to meet all the alledged requirements stated in this thread, (and even if I do meet them, so what?)

Besides, I'm not the dullest crayon in the box, but I'm not sure a test would help, I haven't always been the most spellbinding test-taker this side of Dodge.

Coovertown
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6543 days ago

57 posts - 58 votes 
Speaks: Korean, English*
Studies: French

Message 40 of 164
26 June 2006 at 9:21pm | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:
And that proves what?

:)

Apparently, you haven't read the part where sigiloso said most whites are on the average "smarter based on mere IQ tests".

IQ's bullsh*t anyway. It does not test all varieties of intelligence. A "white man" may know various languages, but may not know how to survive when walking through the night in a predominately black neighborhood. Get the idea?

This discussion contains 164 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version