Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
IansDad
United States
Joined 5528 days ago

28 posts - 41 votes
Studies: French, English

Message 1 of 3
22 June 2011 at 6:13pm | IP Logged 
Does anyone have any suggestions for learning characters without cutesy "stories" to memorize.

I found an Amazon Reviewer by the name of "Dà Máo Hóuzi" http://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/AL1T0H805CDH3/ref=cm_a ya_bb_pdp, who is quite scathing in his reviews of chinese character books. In effect, he says they wrong-headed in not following a more traditional approach, like as is done in China.

I found this very interesting. (He also has his own line of books.)

Thanks.

Edited by IansDad on 22 June 2011 at 6:51pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5413 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 2 of 3
22 June 2011 at 6:44pm | IP Logged 
I think the traditional approach means tenacious rote-memorisation.

If this works for you, fine. Go on with it and be content.

But it is nice to have an alternative. The cutesy (or how the heck this word is written) stories à la Heisig are only a crutch, until the characters are a natural part of your internal syllabus. They can be fun. But there are certainly hosts of foreigners who have learnt them successfully in a more traditional way.

PS. That guy gives really a detailed criticism of some books. The idea in one book to associate the Chinese tones with dwarf, giant, fairy, teddy bear and robot is really cute. I personally try it with the colour method, so why not fairyland creatures :-)

Edited by Cabaire on 22 June 2011 at 7:04pm

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version