9 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
LebensForm
Austria
Joined 4845 days ago

212 posts - 264 votes 
Studies: German

Message 1 of 9
24 June 2011 at 3:11am | IP Logged 
I know that it is better to teach a language that you are native in,but I've been told that I would make a good German teacher, not really sure what this is based on lol, but I really enjoy the language and think that I am pretty good at it, so far, I'm definitely not fluent yet and still have more schooling, plus 6-12 months study abroad in Germany/Vienna but i thought about becoming a German teacher, I would like to do something in which I use my German everyday because I don't want to lose it. How realistic is it to become a German (or any other foreign language teacher) when that may not be my first language, (I was born in Germany, but that is irrelevant now because I have lived in the US most of my life, so now I'm not sure why I mentioned that lol), just curious on thoughts and opinions on this. Do you know anyone who has taught a different language? Thanks all.

Edited by LebensForm on 24 June 2011 at 3:11am

1 person has voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4925 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 2 of 9
24 June 2011 at 3:25am | IP Logged 
Out of all the Spanish teachers I had, my favorite was a very enthusiastic woman born and raised in Minnesota. I still vividly remember specific things she taught us. She did university studies in Spain. The worst was a bitter Uruguayan born and raised woman who did her university studies in the US.

So, there ya go.

R.
==

Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6744 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 3 of 9
24 June 2011 at 5:09am | IP Logged 
For me, a language teacher whose native language is English is usually preferable to one who speaks my target language natively, all other things (teaching skill,
enthusiasm, etc.) being equal. This is for the same reasons given in the "textbook written by non-natives thread": they know what specific problems you might have and why,
and they can offer insights about how to overcome them. They've had to figure out the same things you're struggling with before, and can hopefully answer your questions in a
way that makes sense to you, unlike a native speaker who might never have thought about the question before and might dismiss it with an "I don't know, that's just the way
it is", or might not even understand your question in the first place. Of course this is not true of all native-speaker language teachers (incidentally, I happen to be one
myself!) but I find it's the case more often than with teachers who share the students' native language.

The points that students are most concerned about when it comes to being taught by a non-native speaker are accent and accuracy. If you want to be a teacher of German, I
recommend you work on your pronunciation as much as possible and (here's the hard part) have the genders and the case endings down pat. It's embarassing to have to look up a
word's gender in the middle of a class, and it's positively horrifying to discover after a class that something you've taught was wrong, and that you'll have to apologize
and correct yourself in the next class.

Edited by Lucky Charms on 24 June 2011 at 5:10am

LebensForm
Austria
Joined 4845 days ago

212 posts - 264 votes 
Studies: German

Message 4 of 9
24 June 2011 at 3:54pm | IP Logged 
Lucky Charms wrote:
It's embarassing to have to look up a
word's gender in the middle of a class, and it's positively horrifying to discover after a class that something you've taught was wrong, and that you'll have to apologize

Has this happened to you? Sounds like you may have some personal experience?
Thanks though, for your replies, good to know others opinions. Ya the cases and genders are always a pain lol, especially for all the acceptions.

Thanks again, now off to my "hopefully not my permenant job" lol.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5176 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 6 of 9
24 June 2011 at 4:37pm | IP Logged 
I had 4 German teachers: a French woman, a man from Burkina Faso, an Indian woman and a Quebecois woman.

So it's quite possible.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5806 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 7 of 9
24 June 2011 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
Lucky Charms wrote:
It's embarassing to have to look up a

That even happens to natives. A Spanish guy once tried to tell me that "agua" was masculine.

If he'd simply been using the word in conversation, he would have used it correctly, but when he tried to think about it, he got it wrong. (Agua (water) is a "false masculine": the water is el agua, but only because Spanish doesn't allow la (the normal feminine article) before a stressed A at the start of the next word.)

Being an "informed" speaker is more important than a "native" speaker when it comes to teaching. Ideally you'd be both, but when it's a choice, informed is more important.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5642 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 9
24 June 2011 at 7:42pm | IP Logged 
I work in a kind of high school (= Realschule) and all our English and French teachers are Germans. I can't estimate how good they teach because I am not allowed to sit in their lessons. Generally language teachers who are not native can explain the grammar of their foreign language easier because they have own learning experience with this language.

Fasulye

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version