1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 25 of 39
18 May 2006 at 2:30am | IP Logged 
hagen wrote:
I like this quote by the British linguist J.R. Firth:

"You shall know a word by the company it keeps."

What a fantastic quote!

I've followed this thread with interest because I have been in the past an enthusiastic advocate of flashcards. I have only ever produced and tested via native to target flashcards (you get the active vocabulary and the passive comes by default).

Had you asked me 6 months ago, I would have probably dismissed extensive reading as an alternative out of hand. Primarily because personal experience with French seemed to indicate that it produced massive passive vocabulary without any discernible associated increase in active.

The problem with flashcards is, regardless of their efficiency, they are extremely boring to use and I've found it difficult this time round to get motivated enough for their production or even to find time in my schedule to actually run through them.

I've also been following the "listening before speaking" discussions (another passive exercise). In consequence, I've spent the last couple of months doing nothing much more than listening and reading.

The result has been an obvious increase in my ability to comprehend written and spoken Spanish but the surprising thing (to me anyway) has been the increase in the active vocabulary. It's obviously been a slower process than simply producing the cards and drilling them (and if I had to learn the vocab quickly I would do it via flashcards) but the big difference is that by ensuring that I pick resources I'm interested in reading and listening to, it has been enjoyable and also an invisibly painless process.

I suspect that my experience with French was simply that I didn't give it enough time - looking for the quick fix that the flashcards would give.

Andy.

2 persons have voted this message useful

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6738 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 26 of 39
18 May 2006 at 6:39am | IP Logged 
Andy E wrote:
I've spent the last couple of months doing nothing much more than listening and reading.

The result has been an obvious increase in my ability to comprehend written and spoken Spanish but the surprising thing (to me anyway) has been the increase in the active vocabulary.

This would be especially obvious if you went to live in another country - after some number of years, you'd have a vocabulary that's not that far from native. It's a mysterious process indeed.

I do wonder about looking up at least some of the new words one meets (without recording them) versus just relying on context. Can one really figure them all out from context alone? What are the criteria for knowing which words should or shouldn't be looked up?

Edited by frenkeld on 18 May 2006 at 7:05am

1 person has voted this message useful

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6898 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 27 of 39
18 May 2006 at 6:47am | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:
I do wonder about looking up at least some of the new words one meets (without recording them) versus just relying on context. Can one really figure them all out from context alone? What are the criteria for knowing which words should or shouldn't be looked up?

It would be difficult to figure them all out from context alone - particularly where a meaning is quite figurative or abstract. However, if the meaning of a phrase remains particularly opaque because of an uknown word, then I will look it up immediately but I never record them. I usually wait until I've come across a word more than once (thus targetting higher frequency words) and had a stab at its meaning before resorting to the dictionary for confirmation.

Quite often, I find the key to guessing a word is often a known cognate in the target language rather than context alone.

Andy.

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6738 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 28 of 39
18 May 2006 at 7:03am | IP Logged 
Andy E wrote:
I usually wait until I've come across a word more than once

I've been also thinking of deliberately using a modest-size dictionary (10,000 words or so) for a while. One problem with this approach is that while it allows to select for words to "ignore" at a given stage in learning, one often ends up immediately needing to look up the same high-frequency word in a bigger dictionary because the smaller one may not have all the needed meanings or uses in idiomatic phrases.

Edited by frenkeld on 18 May 2006 at 7:14am

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6563 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 29 of 39
18 May 2006 at 8:37am | IP Logged 
My own approach to vocabulary is to work through vocabulary books, write
my own sentences using those words (paying close attention to how they're
used in the dictionary), and then have my tutor check and correct my
sentences for proper usage.

Edited by Captain Haddock on 18 May 2006 at 8:37am

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7000 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 30 of 39
13 July 2014 at 6:05am | IP Logged 
I didn't realize it until re-reading
this thread that I was talking about listen/reading before
the famous Listen/Reading thread.
2 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4623 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 31 of 39
13 July 2014 at 8:15pm | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
I didn't realize it until re-reading

this thread
that I was talking about listen/reading before

the famous Listen/Reading thread

Indeed! You were ahead of the curve.

I suppose there is nothing really new under the sun, although obviously technology has
enabled, first on tape, then CD, then MP3, it to be done much more easily and by more
people.

It's just possible that in days gone by, learners might have paid native speakers to
read out loud to them, while they read along, so it could have been done without modern
technology, but I doubt if it was very widespread.

MRoss
Australia
Joined 5973 days ago

15 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, German, Spanish

Message 32 of 39
31 August 2014 at 3:43am | IP Logged 
In my learning, I was restricted to reading/translating as I was having troubles getting
flashcard software to work. While the idea of flashcards with the top 1000 words was
appealing, I couldn't take advantage of it. So my vocabulary list grew organically from my
translating.

Yes there were words I needed to translate six or seven times until their meaning sunk in,
whiles others stuck after just one translation. But doing this has surprised me at how I can
understand large chunks of text I've not previously read.

I think, now that I've had good results without flashcards, that flashcards are best used as
a memory jog only. Say, as a way to flick through a few dozen words now and then when you
have a moment. As a reinforcing tool, not a learning.

This discussion contains 39 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version