katiekelly.wordpress
Joined 6669 days ago

795 posts - 829 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Czech, German

Message 9 of 50
14 August 2006 at 5:49pm | IP Logged 
Sinfonia wrote:
No one can deny that, but her view certainly reveals her wealthy, middle-class background. With the amount of travelling (especially by plane) she's done over her lifetime, which she encourages her fellow Americans to emulate, you have to wonder how someone of her intelligence can continue to turn an apparent blind eye to global warming.

You are right. While her biography states that as a girl, after running away from her father in his rundown trailer, she found refuge in a graveyard of old cars with other homeless children. What few people realize is that these cars were Rolls Royces and Cadillacs.
1 person has voted this message useful

Sinfonia
Wales
Joined 6556 days ago

255 posts - 261 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 10 of 50
14 August 2006 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
CaitO'Ceallaigh wrote:
Sinfonia wrote:
No one can deny that, but her view certainly reveals her wealthy, middle-class background. With the amount of travelling (especially by plane) she's done over her lifetime, which she encourages her fellow Americans to emulate, you have to wonder how someone of her intelligence can continue to turn an apparent blind eye to global warming.

You are right. While her biography states that as a girl, after running away from her father in his rundown trailer, she found refuge in a graveyard of old cars with other homeless children. What few people realize is that these cars were Rolls Royces and Cadillacs.

Assuming you're being sarcastic, that's very funny, in an American kind of way. I notice you didn't bother to respond to my remark about languages; I presume you didn't find it worthy of consideration, let alone comment? But what do I know, I've never even been in a plane. Never had the money, nor the arrogance to assert my right to destroy the environment so that I get to see the world and chat to local peasants in their own language.

CaitO'Ceallaigh
Triglot
United States
katiekelly.wordpress
Joined 6669 days ago

795 posts - 829 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Czech, German

Message 11 of 50
14 August 2006 at 9:14pm | IP Logged 
Sinfonia wrote:
I notice you didn't bother to respond to my remark about languages; I presume you didn't find it worthy of consideration, let alone comment?

I am agreeing with you, yet again!

lady_skywalker
Triglot
Netherlands
aspiringpolyglotblog
Joined 6702 days ago

909 posts - 942 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, French, Dutch, Italian

Message 12 of 50
14 August 2006 at 10:00pm | IP Logged 
Sinfonia wrote:
CaitO'Ceallaigh wrote:
Sinfonia wrote:

Assuming you're being sarcastic, that's very funny, in an American kind of way. I notice you didn't bother to respond to my remark about languages; I presume you didn't find it worthy of consideration, let alone comment? But what do I know, I've never even been in a plane. Never had the money, nor the arrogance to assert my right to destroy the environment so that I get to see the world and chat to local peasants in their own language.

This is somewhat off-topic but...if I follow this logic, it's only Americans who've ever travelled or been on a plane? Funny that as I tend to see more British tourists taking cheap EasyJet and RyanAir offers to go to places like Prague and Barcelona (where they proceed to terrorism the 'natives' with their binge drinking and lack of respect). Let's not blame the Americans or Maya Angelou for all the world's ills. :)

Also, travel, be it by plane or bicycle, does allow us to broaden our minds a little. How else can you expect to learn first-hand about other cultures and, by extension, languages? I guess one could just go to London as there's nary an English speaker to be found!

And by the way, not all people who travel by plane are arrogant or trying to destroy the environment. Businessmen have little alternative (no other way to travel from, say, London to Tokyo in less than a day) and some of us happen to have family abroad or work abroad. Should we all just be good little citizens and never leave our village boundaries? :)

Sir Nigel
United States
Joined 6916 days ago

1126 posts - 1102 votes 
2 sounds

Message 13 of 50
15 August 2006 at 2:02am | IP Logged 
lady_skywalker wrote:
.if I follow this logic, it's only Americans who've ever travelled or been on a plane?

It is worth noting that people in the States are more likely to go on an aeroplane if they need to travel within the country. Perhaps the need to travel large intra-country (I've made a new word) distances quickly by plane causes ones to think flying is more American.

lady_skywalker wrote:
Should we all just be good little citizens and never leave our village boundaries? :)

That makes me think of the series "The Prisoner" where the chap couldn't leave "The Village".

"Who are you?" "You are number six" "I am not a number, I'm a free man!"

Sorry for taking this so off-topic.

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6680 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 14 of 50
15 August 2006 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
I don't think she was turning a blind eye to global warming. I don't think
she even considered it, actually. She wants people to expand the minds
by traveling to plaecs they might usually not. Pollution by vehicles is
definately a topic worth considering (although perhaps elsewhere) but for
travelingn to see the world, which I for one love doing if I can, long
distance traveling methods are necessary. Airplanes aren't the only thing
polluting the planet. :-(

Like Sir Nigel, my apologies for continuing to be off-topic.

You are right, though, that pollution and global warming will destroy
loads of lives, cultures, and languages if something isn't done quickly.
But I'm not sure how much ceasing travel the world and seeing it is going
to stem that. Perhaps it will by a goodly (is that a real word?) number, but
I think that more people will be prompted to do something better if they
know what they are trying to save by having seen it themselves.

Sinfonia
Wales
Joined 6556 days ago

255 posts - 261 votes 

Message 15 of 50
15 August 2006 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
CaitO'Ceallaigh wrote:
Sinfonia wrote:
I notice you didn't bother to respond to my remark about languages; I presume you didn't find it worthy of consideration, let alone comment?

I am agreeing with you, yet again!

And by that very act of saying nothing you speak volumes.

In American English, loudly, of course.

Sinfonia
Wales
Joined 6556 days ago

255 posts - 261 votes 

Message 16 of 50
15 August 2006 at 5:26pm | IP Logged 
lady_skywalker wrote:

This is somewhat off-topic but...if I follow this logic, it's only Americans who've ever travelled or been on a plane? Funny that as I tend to see more British tourists taking cheap EasyJet and RyanAir offers to go to places like Prague and Barcelona (where they proceed to terrorism the 'natives' with their binge drinking and lack of respect). Let's not blame the Americans or Maya Angelou for all the world's ills. :)

Absolutely not; in fact, wherever the Americans blaze trails (often literally), the British are seldom far behind. Both nations seem to do what they do with a particular gusto and arrogance that often sets them apart.

lady_skywalker wrote:

Also, travel, be it by plane or bicycle, does allow us to broaden our minds a little. How else can you expect to learn first-hand about other cultures and, by extension, languages? I guess one could just go to London as there's nary an English speaker to be found!

You could indeed just walk around London (or New York); practically all the world's cultures are there in miniature. I'm not suggesting we all give up travel; only that we do it in much greater moderation, so that future generations still have a planet to live on. After all, nearly all people managed without air travel right up until the 1970s or 1980s.

lady_skywalker wrote:

And by the way, not all people who travel by plane are arrogant or trying to destroy the environment. Businessmen have little alternative (no other way to travel from, say, London to Tokyo in less than a day) and some of us happen to have family abroad or work abroad. Should we all just be good little citizens and never leave our village boundaries? :)

Moderation's the answer again. And businessmen don't *need* to travel anywhere near as much as they do, not in the high tech digital world where video conferencing is easy and cheap (something some firms have finally realised).

Seriously, air travel is a major contributor to global warming, and global warming is, despite what most Americans think, real and going to change global society perhaps irrevocably. Fragile cultures, and therefore languages, are already being affected and some will disappear -- perhaps even literally when societies are drowned by rising sea levels.

This discussion contains 50 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version