Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6369 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 81 of 131
11 July 2011 at 10:25pm | IP Logged 
God damnit, you guys. I didn't want to learn Korean. I thought "Possibly Japanese, but I don't think I want to learn Korean."

So much for that.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5132 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 82 of 131
12 July 2011 at 1:49am | IP Logged 
Can Korean be that much harder than Japanese though? I've repeatedly seen the comment that Korean is very easy for native speakers of Japanese.
2 persons have voted this message useful

vientito
Canada
Joined 6125 days ago

212 posts - 281 votes 

Message 83 of 131
13 July 2011 at 1:09am | IP Logged 
She is straight out of the show "미 수다". She's from Finland. Her Korean skill is one
of the very best out there.

Check out her commercial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANR904We530
1 person has voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6337 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 84 of 131
14 July 2011 at 3:39am | IP Logged 
Juаn wrote:
Can Korean be that much harder than Japanese though?

Unlikely. The reason used on this thread is mostly unclear word boundaries. The professor claimed significantly
more difficult grammar. But I believe that the Japanese writing system easily trumps these things. I suppose it
depends on what makes a language hard for a given person.

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5746 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 85 of 131
14 July 2011 at 4:41am | IP Logged 
Sprachgenie wrote:
Sweepdecking is a method for learning vocabulary that refers to mastering 1000 new words/phrases in a 6 day period. A test is then administered on the 7th day by another person. Assuming that Korean is the language being learned, the person who studied is shown 1000 index cards in sequence in a mixture of the other languages he can already speak. So if he knows Russian, Arabic, and Polish, then the cards will be written in those languages (ideally 1/3 each). The point is then to be able to say and write the corresponding Korean word immediately once he sees the word in another language. This forces you to think on your feet as you won't know what source language is coming at you for which word. By getting all 1000 cards correct you have swept the deck. This cycle should be repeated every week (with new words of course).

This sounds like a particular SAFMEDS application. SAFMEDS is an ABA precision teaching approach. My understanding of SAFMEDS is that it is always timed, always uses the same number of cards per deck, constantly pushes you to go as fast as possible, has regular testing, requires graphing your progress (the tests as well as the deck work). Based on the graphs, you modify the routine as needed to work through any bumpy spots.

Edited by Snowflake on 14 July 2011 at 4:44am

janalisa
Triglot
France
janafadness.com/blog
Joined 6677 days ago

284 posts - 466 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Japanese
Studies: Russian, Norwegian

Message 86 of 131
14 July 2011 at 5:06am | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
God damnit, you guys. I didn't want to learn Korean. I thought "Possibly Japanese, but I don't think I want to learn Korean."

So much for that.

Yeah, gosh darn you all! I want to learn it now too. I do know Japanese though... I'm sure that would help at least somewhat. =P

Minya
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4689 days ago

22 posts - 38 votes
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 87 of 131
14 July 2011 at 6:00am | IP Logged 
I don't think Korean is hard if you love it.

starrye
United States
Joined 4881 days ago

172 posts - 280 votes 
Studies: Japanese

Message 88 of 131
14 July 2011 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
This is touching on what some other people have already suggested, but I know that I had a lot of difficulty hearing word boundaries in Japanese too, despite listening to a lot of it. Particularly when spoken fast or slurred, as I personally have some hearing loss, which can be challenge when it comes to listening comprehension. I have to really pay close attention sometimes when people speak.

I haven't studied Korean myself and I don't know what is out there for materials. But one thing that helped me with this issue was doing a lot of reading along with audio. Getting a text that is narrated (or an audio program with a written transcript) and then reading along with the audio playing simultaneously. This helped me to really connect what I was actually hearing with word boundaries I could physically see. Also watching Japanese films and dramas with Japanese language subtitles on (not sure how easy these are to find for Korean).

You could use Anki and start with just sentences for now. See if you can find material which has both audio and a corresponding transcript. You could make yourself a listening card with just the audio on one side. Then on the answer side, both the audio again along with the written text (and translation if need be). Hit the audio button to listen to it several times and try to shadow and read it out loud.

This discussion contains 131 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version