United States
Joined 6310 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 49 of 131
03 July 2011 at 6:37am | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
4) There is something wrong with your learning plan and execution.
Probably the only thing we could help you out with would be 4). But that would require you giving a detailed
description of what you've done to learn this language.

Despite your dismissal, I think this is some pretty good advice. Post your language plan, and we might be able to
help you. Or, if you prefer to leave it up to lucky guesses, please continue to defend your rant.
1 person has voted this message useful

Kitchen.Sink
United States
Joined 5940 days ago

20 posts - 67 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 50 of 131
03 July 2011 at 6:48am | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
Or, if you prefer to leave it up to lucky guesses,
please continue to defend your rant.

If you had bothered to read this thread you would see that not only have some good
solutions been discussed, but also my method for learning Korean was talked about (Anki +
sample sentences with audio). I know it's fun to join in on all the useless criticism of
me, but one thing can be said of the others: they at least bothered to read the thread.

Edited by Kitchen.Sink on 03 July 2011 at 6:49am

3 persons have voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6310 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 

Message 51 of 131
03 July 2011 at 6:55am | IP Logged 
I read the whole thread. Maybe I couldn't believe that was your entire language plan; can't remember. I'll read it
again. In the mean time, maybe you could consider the possibility that not all the criticism is useless. Having an
open mind is a plus. Too bad I can't follow my own advice.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6310 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 

Message 52 of 131
03 July 2011 at 7:27am | IP Logged 
Kitchen.Sink wrote:
I have listened to hundreds upon hundreds of hours of Korean radio.

Kitchen.Sink wrote:
I learned the ins and outs of hangul, with the various rules and exceptions, and was able to start
reading newspapers online.

Kitchen.Sink wrote:
these sites provide some decent Korean samples to use with flashcard
software...

Kitchen.Sink wrote:
ScottScheule wrote:

LingQ, as I mentioned, has Korean mp3s with transcripts. You can chop them up with
Audacity or something (I go by sentence) and add to your Anki cards. This is what I do
with LingQ's Spanish.

Thanks for the suggestion, Anki is a great program and I have been using this process
with my flashcards for quite some time.

This is all I could find regarding your language plan. I'm sure this isn't complete.
Here are some
sample language plans. Some are pretty complete, some aren't. If you could organize and flesh out exactly what you've
done, are doing, and plan to do to get to the stage where you are merely using native material to study (I call that stage
"heaven"), then we will be much more likely to make constructive suggestions.

Kitchen.Sink
United States
Joined 5940 days ago

20 posts - 67 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 53 of 131
03 July 2011 at 7:47am | IP Logged 
I appreciate your patience to go through and re-read the thread. It's clear that your
intentions are good, that you are not here to flaunt or condescend like some of the
others, and for that I apologize for being testy with you.

The truth is that my language plan extends only as far as what you have listed. I use
Anki to make flashcards of full-fledged, native Korean, with audio accompaniment if it
is possible. The sources range from websites, textbooks, grammar banks, Korean
dictionaries (Naver is great), Kdramas, Kpop, and so on. I couple that process with
listening to Korean news radio off and on throughout the day. Sometimes it's for a few
hours, sometimes for a few minutes, but I have done it consistently for about two or
three years. I will admit that at times it just becomes background noise, but I do
spend plenty of time actively focusing on the broadcasts.

This method was popularized by Khazumoto at the 'All Japanese All the Time' website. It
is a process I have faith in. As mentioned earlier in this thread, in just 4 months of
learning Chinese with this method I saw incredible results. I can still understand much
more Chinese than I can understand Korean, getting a good grasp on Mandopop and Chinese
news casts. I also saw solid results with Japanese. Korean, though, has gotten me
nowhere. And if this method doesn't work with Korean, I'm convinced that no method
will.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5526 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 54 of 131
03 July 2011 at 10:04am | IP Logged 
Oh well. There is no sense in listening to a register that you don't learn in your other study time, so scrap the news and listen to content that you actually have a chance of understanding, like ripped audio from your dramas. And if you don't do it already, do pronunciation practice.
2 persons have voted this message useful

LegendaryLvl1
Australia
Joined 4674 days ago

5 posts - 6 votes

Message 55 of 131
03 July 2011 at 11:07am | IP Logged 
Hmm.. Being Korean, I can sort of understand what the OP is going through. When I was
younger, the hardest aspect of the Korean language was not speaking itself - but the
written form, which would lead to complications in my grammar, which would ultimately
result in my speaking skills deteriorating.

It seemed as though the more I was learning Korean, the worse I was getting.

Of course I realised my mistake later on - I was focusing too much on the written form.

I corrected this by just immersing myself in Korean speech (Which I am obviously fluent
at) - from which my written skills developed (by dabbling in a few articles).

I think OP needs to stop going for the artificial never-to-be-used podcasts and radio
broadcasts. He/she should focus more on conversational Korean.

But then again, one would need a Korean friend to converse with :(

Ultimately, I believe that the OP just needs a Korean friend to force some Korean
skills out of him (24/7).

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4938 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 56 of 131
03 July 2011 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
I am so proud.
As I can speak Korean.
There is still a way to go, but I am understand more and more from Korean TV.
Well, I don't think it's so hard language.
Maybe because I like Korea.

Anyway, Korean sounds, they are not so hard, I find sound inventory of Swedish etc and other Germanic language much harder, and French? open and closed e?
i don't hear a difference!

Grammar is quite regular compared to let's say Spanish.

And people consider Spanish an easy language.

so, maybe it depends on a person.

Vocabulary learning is hard, but once you know the Chinese roots...

Using polite speech can be quite difficult.
When you should talk politely and when not?
When formally?

This discussion contains 131 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version