Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5525 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 73 of 131
05 July 2011 at 5:53am | IP Logged 
Yes, I didn't elaborate, I meant 'at a level where I can't yet work well with Korean only explanations or rephrase a sentence to fit a different register etc' because for me, when I can work with native-only material like that, the (at least passive) acquisition of new grammar points and vocabulary becomes so natural that I don't feel the need to SRS them.

Edited by Bao on 11 July 2011 at 11:25pm

1 person has voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6309 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 74 of 131
08 July 2011 at 2:47am | IP Logged 
Advice did to this thread what curiosity does to a cat.

Sprachgenie
Decaglot
Germany
Joined 5468 days ago

128 posts - 165 votes 
Speaks: German*, Dutch, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Faroese, Icelandic, Flemish, Persian, Swiss-German
Studies: English, Belarusian

Message 75 of 131
08 July 2011 at 7:06am | IP Logged 
It surprised me a bit to read that Korean is so difficult. I just hired a new translator for Korean-English who is American and didn't begin learning Korean until age 22. He is 32 now and has spent a total of 6 months in South Korea. He talks to Korean clients on the phone quite often in Korean, so he has excellent passive and active skills. I brought the comments from this thread to his attention and he said that certain languages require the use of very specific methods, which can vary greatly across languages and language family. For Korean it is critical to combine shadowing with sweepdecking. He used this to attain basic fluency in under 2 years (6 months of which were in Korea).
2 persons have voted this message useful

GREGORG4000
Diglot
United States
Joined 5282 days ago

307 posts - 479 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Amharic, French

Message 76 of 131
08 July 2011 at 7:29am | IP Logged 
What's sweepdecking?
5 persons have voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6309 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 77 of 131
09 July 2011 at 12:36am | IP Logged 
Sprachgenie, can you ask him to post a detailed language plan here? I think many members would really appreciate
that, myself included.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachgenie
Decaglot
Germany
Joined 5468 days ago

128 posts - 165 votes 
Speaks: German*, Dutch, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Faroese, Icelandic, Flemish, Persian, Swiss-German
Studies: English, Belarusian

Message 78 of 131
09 July 2011 at 3:33am | IP Logged 
I will ask him next week to post a message here about how he learned Korean. Today he told me he had a perfect score on his SAT but he says it's all about the methods. I think aptitude at least plays some role, however.

Sweepdecking is a method for learning vocabulary that refers to mastering 1000 new words/phrases in a 6 day period. A test is then administered on the 7th day by another person. Assuming that Korean is the language being learned, the person who studied is shown 1000 index cards in sequence in a mixture of the other languages he can already speak. So if he knows Russian, Arabic, and Polish, then the cards will be written in those languages (ideally 1/3 each). The point is then to be able to say and write the corresponding Korean word immediately once he sees the word in another language. This forces you to think on your feet as you won't know what source language is coming at you for which word. By getting all 1000 cards correct you have swept the deck. This cycle should be repeated every week (with new words of course).

Edited by Sprachgenie on 09 July 2011 at 3:39am

5 persons have voted this message useful

janalisa
Triglot
France
janafadness.com/blog
Joined 6649 days ago

284 posts - 466 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Japanese
Studies: Russian, Norwegian

Message 79 of 131
09 July 2011 at 5:56am | IP Logged 
Sprachgenie wrote:
Sweepdecking is a method for learning vocabulary that refers to mastering 1000 new words/phrases in a 6 day period. A test is then administered on the 7th day by another person. Assuming that Korean is the language being learned, the person who studied is shown 1000 index cards in sequence in a mixture of the other languages he can already speak. So if he knows Russian, Arabic, and Polish, then the cards will be written in those languages (ideally 1/3 each). The point is then to be able to say and write the corresponding Korean word immediately once he sees the word in another language. This forces you to think on your feet as you won't know what source language is coming at you for which word. By getting all 1000 cards correct you have swept the deck. This cycle should be repeated every week (with new words of course).

This sounds so interesting! I'd really like to know more about this "sweepdecking" method and how to implement it.
2 persons have voted this message useful

DNB
Bilingual Triglot
Groupie
Finland
Joined 4645 days ago

47 posts - 80 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, Estonian*, English

Message 80 of 131
11 July 2011 at 8:25pm | IP Logged 
I have no trouble with formal Korean, but the relaxed 'mumbling' drives me crazy...

I guess one would have to move to Korea for some years and study really hard if they
wished to really master listening to Korean...

This discussion contains 131 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version