131 messages over 17 pages: 1 2 3 4 57 ... 6 ... 16 17 Next >>
Faraday
United States
Joined 5877 days ago

129 posts - 256 votes 
Speaks: German*

Message 41 of 131
03 July 2011 at 2:44am | IP Logged 
I have to laugh at the sheer comedy here of berating non-constructive comments in a thread designated to be non-
constructive!

Kitchen.Sink wrote:

This is not a thread for constructive discourse

Kitchen.Sink wrote:

I have little patience for people who contribute nothing to the conversation

Edited by Faraday on 03 July 2011 at 2:48am

6 persons have voted this message useful

Kitchen.Sink
United States
Joined 5939 days ago

20 posts - 67 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 42 of 131
03 July 2011 at 3:04am | IP Logged 
Faraday wrote:
I have to laugh at the sheer comedy here of berating non-constructive
comments in a thread designated to be non-constructive!

Kitchen.Sink wrote:

This is not a thread for constructive discourse

Kitchen.Sink wrote:

I have little patience for people who contribute nothing to the conversation

I'm impressed. You were very keen to catch that seeming contradiction. But do please
try reading the last two sentences of my original post. Try being every bit as
discerning as you were with the first two sentences.

If you take the time to look beneath the surface, you will see that it is a work of
rhetoric that employs rhetorical devices throughout.

It helps to read things to their completion before you jump to conclusions.

And notice, too, how by trying to argue with me you further derail the conversation and
do nothing but contradict your own statement about the value of honey over vinegar.

Edited by Kitchen.Sink on 03 July 2011 at 3:09am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Faraday
United States
Joined 5877 days ago

129 posts - 256 votes 
Speaks: German*

Message 43 of 131
03 July 2011 at 3:20am | IP Logged 
Kitchen.Sink wrote:

If you take the time to look beneath the surface, you will see that it is a work of

Thin-skinned AND inflated sense of self-worth: not a good combination for language learning, friend! Good luck
with your Korean.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Kitchen.Sink
United States
Joined 5939 days ago

20 posts - 67 votes 

Message 44 of 131
03 July 2011 at 3:25am | IP Logged 
Faraday wrote:
Kitchen.Sink wrote:

Thin-skinned AND inflated sense of self-worth: not a good combination for language
learning, friend! Good luck
with your Korean.

But...where is the honey you spoke so highly of only a few posts ago?
5 persons have voted this message useful

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 4987 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 45 of 131
03 July 2011 at 3:37am | IP Logged 
Kitchen.Sink wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion, Anki is a great program and I have been
using this process with my flashcards for quite some time. LingQ's Korean section,
though, left me rather unimpressed last time I looked at it. It completely left out
grammar on most of its lessons, used Google translate for a lot of its definitions, and
sometimes the audio would only partially fit the written transcripts. Was this because
I was using a free account, maybe?

I don't think that affects the type of material you have access to. Whether or not
grammar is left out of LingQ, or Google translate is used, would seem to be beside the
point, since I was merely suggesting using it to work on listening comprehension, your
problem, as I understand--I presume you've learned grammar and vocabulary elsewhere, or
at least can. To every task a tool.

If the transcripts do not match the audio, that's a significant problem. I find small
problems from time to time in the Spanish transcripts, but am generally pleased with
the presentation. I have no idea how trustworthy the Korean is in this respect. There
seems to be some self-correction involved--people leave comments noting mistakes and I
believe the transcripts are modified in response. So if there were mistakes before, I
presume there are less now.

I'll happily admit to being one of the great unwashed who dared to venture an opinion
without studying the language. I treat the forums as a friendly place, despite
occasional aberrations, where people are free to speculate and ask questions of each
other--not an academic journal where one is required to have ironclad expertise before
opening his mouth, and certainly not an environment where anyone should be insulted.

Though I suppose nothing necessitates it being so, that seems a pleasant aim to me.

I can only imagine it is your frustration with Korean that has driven you to such
piqued responses, in which case, I join everyone else in hoping you overcome this
hurdle soon.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5525 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 46 of 131
03 July 2011 at 5:43am | IP Logged 
God, does this have to escalate? Could you guys please think about what you've written before you actually post it?

1.) Korean is a challenge. That doesn't mean there aren't languages out there that aren't more difficult to learn; I bet there are.

2.) It is possible that there are people for whom the acquisition of Korean phonology is easier than for others. If that is the case, I surely belong to the 'others'.

3.) The only thing that helped me so far was an incredible amount of repetition and using Japanese words/grammar as a model if possible. I would really like suggestions that tackle the actual phonology issue. What I tried so far with subs2srs was still too difficult, so my next plan was to actually memorize every single lesson of my Assimil Korean, and then ask the guys from TTMIK if they could also make a phonology/dictation series.
4 persons have voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6309 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Studies: Tagalog

Message 47 of 131
03 July 2011 at 6:18am | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:
From all I've heard so far from friends and experienced myself, Korean is more difficult for a beginner
and probably also for an intermediate student. (German and English native speakers, many having studied several
languages before. Comparision mostly with Japanese, but also Mandarin.)

I've had several friends who have studied Mandarin and Korean. They have said that Mandarin is harder all around,
and especially in the beginning, citing much harder pronunciation. Actually, this forum is the only place I know that
thinks Korean is the hardest language.

Bao wrote:
In my case the problem is definitely alien words for alien concepts consisting of alien sounds written
in alien letters and governed by alien grammar.

Been watching a lot of sci-fi lately?
1 person has voted this message useful

Kitchen.Sink
United States
Joined 5939 days ago

20 posts - 67 votes 

Message 48 of 131
03 July 2011 at 6:29am | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:

I've had several friends who have studied Mandarin and Korean. They have said that
Mandarin is harder all around, and especially in the beginning, siting much harder
pronunciation. Actually, this forum is the only place I know that thinks Korean is the
hardest language.

Your friends are free to have their opinions, but Korean being the hardest language for
someone of a Western background is not at all a claim relegated to people on these
forums.

Here's an interview with Barry Farber. Third question.
What's the hardest language you've ever attacked?
For two different reasons, Finnish and Korean.

http://meadowparty.com/farber.html

Read what Professor Arguelles, a polyglot who used to post on these forums had to say.
http://how-to-
learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=10

The Defense Language Institute.
Korean is the hardest language here, apparently it is 75 weeks long now, and they
are trying to make it a Cat V language.

http://usmilitary.abou
t.com/cs/education/a/dliarticle_5.htm

Here's a scientific study done on how it takes native Korean speaking children longer
to absorb certain aspects of their grammar (up to five years of age) than the children
of any other language.
--->Lee, H. and Wexler, K.: 1987, 'The acquisition of reflexives and pronouns in
Korean', Paper delivered at the 12th Annual Boston University Conference on Language
Development.

Another polyglot on Korean.
The average person, normal people who haven't dedicated their lives to being
language and martial arts study-monks, would imagine that learning Chinese is about the
hardest things someone could do. But two weeks into my study of Korean, I began to
suspect that Korean was harder. Six months later, when I could read and write with
ease, and possessed thousands of vocabulary words, and countless grammatical
structures, but still couldn't order off a menu, I was convinced, Korean is the hardest
of the ten languages I have studied.

http://www.asiantribune.com/index.php?q=node/39 36

There's plenty more of this out there on the internet. Korean is considered to be the
hardest language there is, not just by polyglots, but even by language learning
institutions. It is not at all isolated to these forums.

Edited by Kitchen.Sink on 03 July 2011 at 6:44am

11 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 131 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version