Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4833 days ago

498 posts - 905 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Azerbaijani

Message 26 of 43
07 July 2011 at 9:07pm | IP Logged 
I thought of putting English as my native language, since I moved to the US as a child and attended school and college there, but then decided on selecting Russian, as that is the language in which I can feign written and verbal fluency for the longest time.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5793 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 27 of 43
07 July 2011 at 10:11pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
leosmith wrote:
In all honesty though, I typed a meaningful title, then just cut out words until it fit. I was too tired to worry about the correctness. Do I
need to take the star off of my English now? :)

Oh, no you'll just be taunted for a while.

Indeed, Señor Esmíth.

Rob_Austria
Heptaglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4784 days ago

84 posts - 293 votes 
Speaks: German*, Italian, Spanish, French, English, Portuguese, Japanese
Studies: Croatian, Mandarin, Russian, Arabic (Written), Turkish

Message 28 of 43
18 August 2011 at 8:25pm | IP Logged 

Does anyone know the German equivalent...?[/QUOTE]

In German I might say 'fair zu jmdm sein' or 'jmdn fair behandeln'

You are right, one can use both expressions but I would not use them in the context given.

I'd translate "to be fair on/to others" as "anderen gegenüber fair sein".

Example: This is not fair on his brothers = Das ist seinen Brüdern gegenüber nicht fair.

If you said "seine Brüder fair behandeln", the meaning might be slightly different. Besides, you would have to change the construction of the sentence.

But as I said, the expressions you mentioned are both correct and valid, I would just not use them in the context provided by the asker. Honestly, I am astonished at how well many forum members speak and write German as a foreign language. If it were not my mother tongue, its grammar would probably drive me crazy ;-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

AriD2385
Groupie
United States
Joined 4632 days ago

44 posts - 60 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 29 of 43
18 August 2011 at 11:31pm | IP Logged 
I have never heard the phrase "fair on..." or any permutation thereof (and my English is very much home grown!). I might have heard "good on you" before, but if so, it was probably in a British or Australian context. Perhaps that indicates why, outside of pure grammatical rules, it can be difficult to judge someone's language usage when it can vary across countries and regions within countries. I could travel to many places in the US and learn new turns of phrase and "cool" ways of saying things that are just a result of regional differences and fads.

But with respect to the question asked, I can see certain situations (as have been explained above) where someone might put "native English". It would seem to depend on when and how they started learning English, how long they've been exposed, etc. And for me at least, in reading language proficiency descriptions, I got the impression that "native fluency" is something that can be reached without the language actually being your native language. It seemed to be more of a description of mastery rather than an indication of the first language you ever learned.

Edited by AriD2385 on 18 August 2011 at 11:36pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Barrabbas
Joined 5843 days ago

9 posts - 9 votes
Studies: German

Message 30 of 43
19 August 2011 at 3:23am | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
leosmith wrote:
I hope you keep on doing it, because it's just one more thing that makes this board interesting.

It would be better if they stopped, because learners try to copy the patterns used by natives, and if people with bad English claim to be native... well, it's just not fair on the others.

LondonKiwi
United Kingdom
Joined 4983 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 31 of 43
21 August 2011 at 3:03pm | IP Logged 
I'm a native English speaker (born/brought up in NZ, lived in London for 20 years).
"Fair on.." is a natural expression for me (though not to the total exclusion of "fair to..", which also has its place).

misslanguages
Diglot
France
fluent-language.blog
Joined 4628 days ago

190 posts - 217 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: German

Message 32 of 43
21 August 2011 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
Do people really do that? Wow, that's a bit sad. I mean, there is such a thing as "fake it till you make it" but that's just pathetic.
I believe in being honest at all times.

This discussion contains 43 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version