Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4797 days ago

365 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Dutch

Message 209 of 355
25 September 2011 at 9:34am | IP Logged 
lwtproject wrote:

http://lwt-online.tk does not seem to work anymore. The problem with all these free hosters are the limitations and
that you never know if the site still runs and your data still exist the other day ...

Indeed. It is down since friday. I hope it will be back soon. The host is down too. This happens with free host - more so with those offering unlimited databases number - disk space and transfer. This is the second time my site and host are down since I registred.

In therory this unlimited number of databases allow unlimited number of user but in reality few people are interested in lwt online so - using a host offering less could be enough and more stable. If you do not get enough from your host for your number of user you could consider opening a second account with your host or with another host.

I hope it will be back on monday - I will have to test my forum there - it could have a problem of its own.

1 person has voted this message useful

Michel1020
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4797 days ago

365 posts - 559 votes 

Message 210 of 355
25 September 2011 at 9:54am | IP Logged 
SimaYi wrote:
Hello,

I first wanted to thank you for this program, it is wonderful.

I was also wondering if anyone had come up with a good way to produce lists of common words that would make for nice "pre-loaded" dictionaries. While I find looking up words can be a good aid to learning them if they are brand new, it can also be a touch tedious, especially if one's internet is not working, and having a preloaded dictionary might speed things up. I have considered that it might be possible to construct a program to do it, but I haven't really hashed that through in my mind yet.

Otherwise, just wanted to say thanks again, I really appreciate the work and generosity that went into this and I enjoy using it.

I downloaded a few dictionaries that I use offline.

You could get some frequency lists - tranlate them and import a combined list into lwt.

You could get bilingual texts and understand the words from the translation.

Edited by Michel1020 on 25 September 2011 at 9:55am

dongsen
Taiwan
Joined 4589 days ago

30 posts - 44 votes
Speaks: English

Message 211 of 355
26 September 2011 at 6:13am | IP Logged 
The program looks like it might be very useful!

What is the difference between "Chinese" and "Chinese2" in the language option list? It is not immediately
clear which one should be selected from simply looking at the list.

As far as I can tell, "Chinese" splits the words into individual characters, which I think is fairly useless, and the
"Chinese2" appears to group words into phrases, which is also not that helpful.

Edited by dongsen on 26 September 2011 at 6:51am

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5449 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 212 of 355
26 September 2011 at 6:32am | IP Logged 
After using LWT for about a month, I have been impressed. As a result, I have made a small video on my youtube channel recommending it.
6 persons have voted this message useful

Michel1020
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4797 days ago

365 posts - 559 votes 

Message 213 of 355
26 September 2011 at 5:57pm | IP Logged 
dongsen wrote:

What is the difference between "Chinese" and "Chinese2" in the language option list? It is not immediately

As far as I can tell, "Chinese" splits the words into individual characters, which I think is fairly useless, and the

Am I wrong to think many chinese words are one character word ?
What about other chinese words with more than one character ? Are there many of them and are there many of them more than 9 characters long ?

Michel1020
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4797 days ago

365 posts - 559 votes 

Message 214 of 355
26 September 2011 at 6:06pm | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:
After using LWT for about a month, I have been impressed. As a result, I have made a small video on my youtube channel recommending it.

As many tutorials in youtube - I am not able to read what is displayed on the screen because it is too small. It is a little frustrating to see the texts so small on 1 left third of the page when 2 other thirds are empty.

However I hope people with bigger screen and deeper resolution screen will see this movie in better quality. Thank you for publishing it.

dongsen
Taiwan
Joined 4589 days ago

30 posts - 44 votes

Message 215 of 355
26 September 2011 at 11:55pm | IP Logged 
Michel1020 wrote:
dongsen wrote:

Am I wrong to think many chinese words are one character word ?
What about other chinese words with more than one character ? Are there many of them and are there many
of them more than 9 characters long ?

To put it simply, splitting up the chinese characters is about as useful as splitting up English characters.

the most common words have one character, but the majority of words have more than one character. For
the majority of words, when you put two characters together, the meaning and pronunciation of one or more of
the character can be different than if the word was written by itself.

The academic term for writing software that can split chinese characters correctly (so you can google for it) is
"chinese character segmentation"

Edited by dongsen on 27 September 2011 at 12:37am

2 persons have voted this message useful

dongsen
Taiwan
Joined 4589 days ago

30 posts - 44 votes

Message 216 of 355
27 September 2011 at 1:09am | IP Logged 
I have done a bit of research, i think your system is in PHP yes? Maybe this could help, im not sure:

http://www.phpclasses.org/package/2508-PHP-Segment-Chinese-t ext-using-the-MP-approach.html

This discussion contains 355 messages over 45 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version