Studies: Greek, German, Dutch

Message 313 of 355
24 April 2013 at 2:19pm | IP Logged 
lwtproject wrote:
Gomorritis wrote:
By the way, what are exactly the advantages of archiving texts? Only
saving hard drive space?

About the difference between active texts and archived texts:

Well, I had already read that, I was just wondering about the advantages, because it seems to me that it's all
disadvantages for archived texts except for "They use a lot of space in the database.", and considering most people
have plenty of hard drive space nowadays, it doesn't seem a big disadvantage. Unless a smaller database will lwt
work faster, or I'm missing something.
1 person has voted this message useful

Valy
France
Joined 4134 days ago

39 posts - 47 votes
Speaks: French*
Studies: English, German, Spanish, Mandarin

Message 314 of 355
24 April 2013 at 3:57pm | IP Logged 
I have been using lwt for a few weeks and enjoy it a lot. I study a text every day. It would be great if there
was also an app ipad/iphone. I would buy it at once.

lwtproject
Pentaglot
Netherlands
https://learning-wit
Joined 4678 days ago

149 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: French, Dutch*, German, English, Mandarin
Studies: Italian

Message 315 of 355
07 June 2013 at 1:48pm | IP Logged 
Today LWT Version 1.5.1 has been released.

In version 1.5.0, released in April 2013, I had introduced the creation/edit/printout and display of hyperliteral translations as interlinear text.

Today's new version 1.5.1 brings you some nice features when reading such texts: Clicking the "T" or "A" lightbulb icons hides/shows the complete text or all annotations. You may also click on a single term or a single annotation to show or to hide it. This enables you to test yourself or to concentrate on one text only. Romanizations, if available, appear now while hovering over a term.

See also http://lwt.sourceforge.net/#il and http://learnanylanguage.wikia.com/wiki/Hyperliteral_translat ions.

Edited by lwtproject on 07 June 2013 at 1:51pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Bobb328
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4371 days ago

52 posts - 78 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 316 of 355
09 June 2013 at 6:48am | IP Logged 
Any plans to be able to automatically translate words instead of clicking on just the ones you don't know. I've been
looking for a way to make a quick, rough, interlinear text and this apps is works well except I know many of the
words I just don't want to click on all the ones I already know. It makes you choose the definition and type it in
rather than just automatically using Google Translate or something to translate all the words. Or maybe I'm just
using this wrong, any help?

lwtproject
Pentaglot
Netherlands
Joined 4678 days ago

149 posts - 264 votes 

Message 317 of 355
09 June 2013 at 9:55am | IP Logged 
@Bobb328:

"Any plans to be able to automatically translate words instead of clicking on just the ones you don't know..."

Not in the moment. As LWT is a software for any L1-L2 language pair you can imagine, this would be very difficult (and costly) to implement. Even Google Translate does not support every language and often produces wrong results, and it would cost money to use the Translate API. The alternative http://glosbe.com/ seems promising and is free... Maybe I'll integrate Glosbe at some time in the future.

In language learning there is no "fast lane". Clicking on an unknown word, reading the possible definitions, and thinking about them, is part of the learning process.

Edited by lwtproject on 09 June 2013 at 9:57am

2 persons have voted this message useful

lwtproject
Pentaglot
Netherlands
Joined 4678 days ago

149 posts - 264 votes 

Message 318 of 355
09 June 2013 at 1:49pm | IP Logged 
LWT 1.5.2 (June 09 2013) has been released today.

New features:

Easy navigation to the previous and the next text (according to current text filters and sort order) is now possible.

"Backup" does not store anymore the tables 'sentences' and 'textitems'. These tables are now automatically recreated (by reparsing the texts) within "Restore". This makes backup faster and the backup file much smaller, while "Restore" will take a bit longer.

Documentation and all screenshots updated.

Miuko
Triglot
Slovakia
Joined 5185 days ago

22 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: Czech, Slovak*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 319 of 355
09 June 2013 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
This software is outstanding and the person behind it is amazing. I am using LWT extensively (70texts, all words 20000) and I had problems to restore. Mr. lwtproject helped me in 10 hours!! (night excluded) during the weekend and apparently made a new version of LWT 1.5.2 that fixes a lot. I wonder if an other paid software company could be that quick and that good!
I understand some will of suggestions as lwtproject actively encourages to do so but if it stays as it is I would still be extremely happy.
I cannot understand complaints about the installation process etc and to me it is like bringing the water to a dying person in a desert and he would complain:''Damn, that is too cold!'' (water=LWT)

I call to all who are using LWT, spread the word, show it, maybe even install it and people will be amazed!

2 persons have voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6336 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 320 of 355
13 June 2013 at 12:09am | IP Logged 
lwtproject wrote:
Clicking on an unknown word, reading the possible definitions, and thinking about them, is
part of the learning process.

It can be, but doesn't have to be.

Unrelated, but I'm just curious why you aren't taking on LingQ head to head.

This discussion contains 355 messages over 45 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version