Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Degree, 2 languages in 4 years, worth it?

Language Learning Forum : Languages & Work Post Reply
15 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
maiza
Spain
Joined 4726 days ago

9 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: EnglishC2

Message 1 of 15
08 July 2011 at 9:26pm | IP Logged 
A degree at the university, "Translation and Interpretation" will teach you two languages
in four years. is it worth? Could I learn two languages in four years by myself saving
all that money ?

When it comes to speaking languages to find a job, two persons that have the same level
but one of them studied by himself, do they have the same options to get the job or
people give more credit if you learned a language at college and not by yourself ?
1 person has voted this message useful

maiza
Spain
Joined 4726 days ago

9 posts - 9 votes

Message 2 of 15
09 July 2011 at 11:57am | IP Logged 
help

zekecoma
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5139 days ago

561 posts - 655 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 3 of 15
09 July 2011 at 1:11pm | IP Logged 
Well you do need to have a uni degree for a translator job. But I say learning a language
at home is much better than in a school.

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5093 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 4 of 15
09 July 2011 at 2:18pm | IP Logged 
maiza wrote:
A degree at the university, "Translation and Interpretation" will teach you two languages
in four years. is it worth? Could I learn two languages in four years by myself saving
all that money ?

When it comes to speaking languages to find a job, two persons that have the same level
but one of them studied by himself, do they have the same options to get the job or
people give more credit if you learned a language at college and not by yourself ?

If you want to be a translator/interpreter, then, and only then you'll want to do have this degree.
If you want a job that is not language related, it would be nonsense to study for translation, wouldn't it?
So your question is a little bit strange, to say the least. For most jobs languages are an additional qualification, when and if you are good at your real job. Being good at languages is not a good or sufficient qualification for most jobs. Ask the people who teach at your university, and they'll explain to you what you can expect or not. Don't make such a decision based on random forum opinions, it is your life.

Edited by lingoleng on 09 July 2011 at 2:19pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Alexander86
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
alanguagediary.blogs
Joined 4776 days ago

224 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German, Catalan
Studies: Swedish

Message 5 of 15
09 July 2011 at 3:27pm | IP Logged 
Languages are actually more useful than most of the other arts subjects that people
study since they give you a significant skill set which is in demand. Especially with
two language you could do a lot. And a university degree in languages is worth far more
than someone who has 'just studied them', just because that's how the world works these
days - accreditation and all that. But equally, if you went to be an engineer and
learnt German on the side, you would be in a much stronger position.

As the person before me said, it's your life and you have to make the decision. While
it may be worth it for some people to learn two languages in a degree it may not be
worth it for others. Think of a medium to long term timescale: where do you see
yourself? What would you like to be doing? etc. Then assess how to get there, which may
or may not include going to university for this course.

And for my two cents: learning at university is far better than learning at home
because it means you directly communicate from the start in the languages as well as
making friends and having fun, what could be better than that? (I both learn languages
at university and at home).
3 persons have voted this message useful

maiza
Spain
Joined 4726 days ago

9 posts - 9 votes

Message 6 of 15
09 July 2011 at 7:42pm | IP Logged 
The way I see it, at uni I will be with other guys that speak the same language as me.
And the teacher, not sure if is a native speaker of the language is teaching.

I I can translate but I studied at home or traveling or whatever other form...do I need a
paper to prove it ?

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5115 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 7 of 15
09 July 2011 at 8:52pm | IP Logged 
zekecoma wrote:
But I say learning a language at home is much better than in a school.

Only if you're extremely shy or a language genius who picks up languages easily.

If you study by yourself you can't ask and won't get any feedback from teachers, native teaching assistants and fellow students and you might pick up bad language habits.

maiza wrote:
The way I see it, at uni I will be with other guys that speak the same language as me.

That is very likely, but they might be better than you which will proably motivate you.

maiza wrote:
And the teacher, not sure if is a native speaker of the language is teaching.

Which is not necessarily a bad thing. One of my teachers had never traveled to the country whose language he taught, yet all of our native teaching assistants uniformly said that his knowledge of grammar, vocabulary and style was better than theirs and his pronunciation was near native.

maiza wrote:
If I can translate but I studied at home or traveling or whatever other form...do I need a paper to prove it ?

Usually, you only if you plan work for the government, the courts the police etc.

If you're unsure about the whole thing, why not get a business or science degree and spend a year abroad as an exchange student?

jimbo
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 6089 days ago

469 posts - 642 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Japanese, Latin

Message 8 of 15
09 July 2011 at 9:43pm | IP Logged 
Doitsujin wrote:
If you're unsure about the whole thing, why not get a business or science degree and spend a
year abroad as an exchange student?

Seems you could learn one or two languages while you earn a degree in any subject of your choice. "A ___ who
speaks _____ and ____ " seems more employable than someone who only speaks a couple of extra languages.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version