United Kingdom
Joined 4437 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 17 of 18
02 October 2012 at 4:56pm | IP Logged 
viedums wrote:
According to myEtymology.com, the root in mordere derives from the Proto-IE *mer- “death”.

The wikitionary (whose source I don't know) claims it's rather PIE *merə- (“to rub, wipe; to pack, rob”). But well, "death" is not unbelievable..

edit: and "from Proto-Indo-European *(s)merd- (“to bite, sting”)" as the etymology of "smart". Cognates in Greek and Sanskrit give a 'd' as well, and don't seem to mention more than that.

Edited by vermillon on 02 October 2012 at 5:15pm

1 person has voted this message useful

viedums
Hexaglot
Thailand
Joined 4425 days ago

327 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: Latvian, English*, German, Mandarin, Thai, French
Studies: Vietnamese

Message 18 of 18
03 October 2012 at 7:16am | IP Logged 
vermillon wrote:
viedums wrote:
According to myEtymology.com, the root in mordere derives from the Proto-IE *mer- “death”.

The wikitionary (whose source I don't know) claims it's rather PIE *merə- (“to rub, wipe; to pack, rob”). But well, "death" is not unbelievable..

edit: and "from Proto-Indo-European *(s)merd- (“to bite, sting”)" as the etymology of "smart". Cognates in Greek and Sanskrit give a 'd' as well, and don't seem to mention more than that.

Yes, I was surprised to see the connection made between ‘mordere’ and death. I’ve just checked Pokorny’s Indogermanisches etymologisches Woerterbuch, which is available at openlibrary.org. The relevant entries are on p. 735 in vol. 2:

4. mer-, merǝ- ‘sterben’ (= 5. mer- ‘aufgerieben werden’).
5. mer-, merǝ- ‘aufreiben, reiben’ und ‘packen, rauben’.

This seems to be saying that the term for death derives from ‘being rubbed out’! I guess when we use ‘rubbed out’ meaning killed in English, we are thinking along the same lines as the ancient Indo-Europeans. Note also the glosses for the Greek ‘marasmos’.

I’m still not clear on how we get from rubbing to biting though. Looking through the glosses in entry 5., I notice that ‘nagen’ or ‘to gnaw, chew’ is one. But ‘mordere’ and its reflexes aren’t cited directly. Maybe this is the source of the discrepancy between our two online sources. Still, I could envision a semantic continuum along the lines of death – erasure – wearing down – eating away – biting, or something like that.

Pokorny's IeW

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version