WentworthsGal
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4684 days ago

191 posts - 246 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Swedish, Spanish

Message 1 of 13
11 July 2011 at 9:46pm | IP Logged 
I was just thinking, letting my train of thought run (as you do) and it stopped at an intriguing place... Do polyglots think a lot? Not just about languages, but thinking in general. Thinking is mostly (I believe) words with the odd feeling etc thrown in; so maybe words in other languages become a desire too... Does that make sense? Plus learning itself takes a lot of thinking. Are we obsessed with thinking and cannot get enough of it?

I admit, I think all the time, my brain never stops and 99% of the time it takes me ages to get to sleep because of this... And of course I love languages :oD

So my fellow language lovers... Do you think a lot too??

Edited by Fasulye on 16 July 2011 at 8:06am

1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5130 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 2 of 13
11 July 2011 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
Now that is an angle I haven't seen before. Nice to come up with a new topic, even if I doubt if I can come up with a meaningful answer.

Sure I think a lot, my mind is all over the place, particularly if I am gardening or exercising - I could come up with whole yearly strategies for the organization I was heading while taking a 30 minute swim in the ocean, but since I have no way of getting into other people's heads I would not be able to say whether I was doing more or less thinking than the next person.

I am not sure that polyglottery would lead to more thinking, just thinking in several languages. To asess the quantity or quality of it would be beyond my capability.

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6811 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 13
12 July 2011 at 12:20am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Now that is an angle I haven't seen before. Nice to come up with a new topic, even if I doubt if I can come up with a meaningful answer.

My thoughts exactly. It's a very interesting angle indeed.

WentworthsGal wrote:
So my fellow language lovers... Do you think a lot too??

I do, even when I'm not trying to. My mind is never at rest, even when I'd like it to be, and most of the time it's nothing to do with languages.

Personally, I can't imagine a worse fate than the loss of coherent thought. Then again, I suppose that if I did take leave of my senses, I'd probably be unaware of it.

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5141 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 4 of 13
12 July 2011 at 1:43am | IP Logged 
Thinking is pretty much all I do. That's why in order to unwind I enjoy watching a little entertaining television before going to bed. Otherwise, I'd still be going over some topic of medieval economic history in my head by the time I've laid down and have a tough time getting to sleep.

And yes, the pleasure I take in language-learning is intimately connected with language's relation to thought and knowledge.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5562 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 5 of 13
12 July 2011 at 3:57am | IP Logged 
Finding it difficult to unwind doesn't necessarily mean you think more than the average person, it simply means you find it difficult to unwind. (As I happen to do, it's almost 4am again ...)

nway
United States
youtube.com/user/Vic
Joined 5211 days ago

574 posts - 1707 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean

Message 6 of 13
12 July 2011 at 4:05am | IP Logged 
I doubt polyglots think "more". They'd just think of things from a different angle, seeing the etymologies in words and the various cultural and idiomatic contexts of various ideas. But it's not all that different from an engineer/chemist/physicist/doctor/biologist considering various things with an amplified sense of awareness, or a musician constantly composing in his head (I used to do this all the time) or an artist or photographer considering the aesthetic qualities of everyday scenes.

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6664 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 7 of 13
12 July 2011 at 6:50am | IP Logged 
I second nway: Most people do think a lot and it can be both good and bad. My mind is often very active, be it about languages or anything else. As an amateur linguist I try to use my mind to "interpret" what other people say into a language I'm learning. It's not perfect, but it's a good exercise to get the mind started thinking in that language, and also helps you find vocabulary or expressions you are still lacking.

Most of the time I try to watch my thoughts as if it were a TV and don't really have much of an opinion of what goes through my mind.

Great question!

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6378 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 8 of 13
12 July 2011 at 7:41am | IP Logged 
It's interesting that nobody has yet to answer "no" to the question. Everyone is saying (as would I) "I'm thinking about all sorts of stuff all the time". The question is: would the answers be different in another forum?

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version