Language Learning Forum : Cultural Experiences in Foreign Languages Post Reply
Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5504 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 1 of 3
12 July 2011 at 10:04pm | IP Logged 
Hi everybody. First, let me say that I know this post isn't explicitly related to languages, but I really hope it can slip under the radar. Look at it this way: some American tourists who can actually speak a little French want to have experiences in France that monolingual Americans wouldn't necessarily be able to have.

I'm currently on a three-week vacation with my family in Brittany, France. We just arrived on Saturday, and are staying for two weeks in Landrévarzec, a small village about 20 minutes north of Quimper. For the third week, we will be living right in the town of Dinan, south of St.-Malo.

Now, to the question at hand: so far, we've been to Quimper and to the small town of Locronan, which received an award for being one of the most beautiful cities in the region. They were both, indeed, quite lovely, but the experience was almost ruined for us by the extremity and intensity of the tourist atmosphere.

I understand that Brittany is generally quite a touristy region, but we would love to find some more genuine-feeling places to spend time in, places where people are just living their lives, rather than showing off preserved architecture like it's a magic trick and over-charging for ice-creams and horse-drawn carriage rides.

Does anyone have any recommendations and tips for me and my family? We can all get by in French (and the people here are amazingly nice, hardly ever switching into English), and we like the authentic old Breton culture. (I know, I know, just like every other tourist...)

We particularly love:
- Breton choral music
- old-book shops
- local dishes, e.g. sea food & crêpes
- buying fresh food at markets to cook for ourselves
- beautiful old buildings
- window-shopping and just strolling around (flâner?)

We tend to avoid:
- fancy restaurants (we're poor!)
- guided tours
- buying lots of souvenirs (again, the being-poor thing)
- some cathedrals (they all start to look the same after a while...)

By the way, we have a rental car, but we prefer not to drive for hours and hours (we already drove 14 hours non-stop from Paris to Quimper, an epic and foolish adventure).

I guess that's about it. Maybe I've given you all too much information, but I'm really hoping to figure out a more authentic-feeling way to experience this beautiful area of France. Any tips (in English or French) will be very gratefully accepted. Thank you very much in advance!

Edited by Jinx on 12 July 2011 at 10:10pm

1 person has voted this message useful

tibbles
Diglot
United States
Joined 5002 days ago

245 posts - 421 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Korean

Message 2 of 3
13 July 2011 at 3:28am | IP Logged 
Maybe post your question at tripadvisor as well? A lot of people there are very adept at avoiding the tourist trap places and finding authentic experiences.
2 persons have voted this message useful

troglodyte
Diglot
Groupie
BrazilRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5091 days ago

53 posts - 69 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC2
Studies: Italian

Message 3 of 3
13 July 2011 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
Salut Jinx.

Vous pouvez visiter ce forum francophone : http://voyageforum.com/

Lá vous pouvez rechercher des discussions sûr la Bretagne, où quand même commencer une
nouvelle avec vos questions.

Bonnes vacances.

Edited by troglodyte on 13 July 2011 at 9:48pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version