Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Intermediate Korean Textbook W/ CD ?????

Tags: Intermediate | Korean
 Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
Po-ru
Diglot
United States
Joined 5290 days ago

173 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Spanish, Norwegian, Mandarin, French

Message 1 of 5
18 July 2011 at 6:33am | IP Logged 
Hi everyone. I am looking for an Intermediate Korean text with a GOOD accompanying audio
component. I have so for gone through Dr.Arguelles course an Integrated Approach to
Korean, several Korean books I bought in Korea, and some online stuff, but I am really
wanting a good textbook with good sample dialogues and relevant grammar. I am not a big
fan of drill patterns on the CD, so that's not really what I am looking for.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
1 person has voted this message useful

GREGORG4000
Diglot
United States
Joined 5333 days ago

307 posts - 479 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Amharic, French

Message 2 of 5
18 July 2011 at 7:10am | IP Logged 
Intermediate College Korean is pretty great and it has full online audio.

Balliballi
Groupie
Korea, SouthRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4502 days ago

70 posts - 115 votes 
Studies: Korean

Message 3 of 5
21 January 2012 at 5:49am | IP Logged 
"Korean Grammar in Use" is an excellent book for intermediate grammar students. It also has a great CD. But if you want to learn the language thoroughly, don't stay stuck on this book. Even though it seems thorough, it isn't. It only covers less than 10% of the grammatical terms you will meet when reading Korean in newspapers etc. or when speaking with Koreans.

After this book, study "Korean Grammar for International Learners". I would skip the first chapter and move onto Nouns. The first chapter will only confuse you.

This is a great book if you intend to be an advanced learner of Korean.

IronFist
United States
Joined 6247 days ago

663 posts - 941 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 4 of 5
28 January 2012 at 7:43am | IP Logged 
The "Integrated Korean" series is pretty decent. I've only used the beginner books, but I would rate them among the top of the Korean books I've seen (not saying much, as I've only seen 2 or 3 Korean books that weren't completely worthless).

Intermediate Korean 1:
http://www.amazon.com/Integrated-Korean-Intermediate-Textboo ks-Language/dp/0824824199/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1327732888& sr=8-4

Intermediate Korean 2:
http://www.amazon.com/Integrated-Korean-Intermediate-Textboo ks-Language/dp/0824824229/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1327732888& sr=8-2

I'm not sure where these books start so I don't know if they would be too easy/hard for you.

Odysseus
Diglot
United States
Joined 4801 days ago

19 posts - 28 votes
Speaks: English*, Korean
Studies: Mandarin

Message 5 of 5
28 January 2012 at 11:26am | IP Logged 
I'm currently up to Advanced in the aforementioned Integrated Korean book series, and I think the Intermediate books in the series sound like exactly what the original poster wants. The audio in each chapter has one or more sample dialogues, accompanied by a few narrated texts. Unlike the beginner level, in which everyone speaks in an unnaturally slow and precise fashion, the speakers in the intermediate audio dialogues speak in at a completely natural rate. It also clearly and adequately explains new grammar points in each chapter.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version