Diglot
United States
Joined 5267 days ago

173 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Spanish, Norwegian, Mandarin, French

Message 1 of 3
21 July 2011 at 8:43am | IP Logged 
Hi all. I am looking for an online Mongolian dictionary with sound! As anyone studying
Mongolian knows, it is largely not very phonetic and hearing the word is very important!
I was wondering if anyone knew of a good one with the pronunciation in Mongolian.

Thanks!
1 person has voted this message useful

jarm
Australia
Joined 4699 days ago

33 posts - 55 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 2 of 3
21 July 2011 at 10:52am | IP Logged 
Sorry, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist! There's only a few online dictionaries, anyway. Most Mongolian words are *fairly* phonemic, though... The only problem is, you need to know the rules, which were made far too convoluted.

Bolor Toli is about the best there is. There's another online dictionary which is on par with Bolor Toli, but I can't remember what it was called.

Mart is a new dictionary. I've never seen it before, but it seems pretty good.

Funky Mongolian has a few clips, but it doesn't have the words in Cyrillic, and there aren't that many words.

Beware of the Latin orthography. Sometimes it's a straight transliteration from the Cyrillic spelling. I usually have a look at даалгавар, because that actually pronounced like 'дэлгүүр' in Khalkha!

Some paper dictionaries *might* have the words phonemically spelt, but I'm not sure. Mine doesn't, but I can't remember if the Oxford Monsudar ones do or not.

Of course, here I am, rudely assuming you're studying Khalkha Mongolian, when you might be studying Chakhar Mongolian, in which case I have no clue. I see you're studying Mandarin, though. If you are prepared to use Mandarin resources, maybe you'll have better luck there, although there's all sorts of problems viewing the traditional script, and it's even worse, pronunciation-wise.

In summary: You probably won't find anything...
2 persons have voted this message useful

OneEye
Diglot
Japan
Joined 6637 days ago

518 posts - 784 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, Taiwanese, German, French

Message 3 of 3
30 July 2011 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
Are you learning Classical Mongolian? If so, Lingua Mongolia has a dictionary, though I can't comment on its usefulness since I haven't studied the language. They also seem to have a lot of other information and resources.

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version