Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4982 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Polish, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian

Message 1 of 25
22 July 2011 at 12:08am | IP Logged 
I am going to be out of town for about 20 days or so, and I won't have access to my Anki decks. I don't fancy coming home to see over 2,000 reviews waiting for me, so how can I postpone all of the reviews until I return? Thanks in advance!
1 person has voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5953 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 2 of 25
22 July 2011 at 1:59am | IP Logged 
Rescheduling is a convenient way to make sure that you don't get too far behind on your Anki reviews, but just be sure not to make it a habit because it might be tempting to reschedule all your decks whenever you don't feel like working on them. I know that I for one have badly abused the reschedule button in the past several months...

Without further ado, here's how you go about it:
- Open the deck you want to reschedule.
- Go into the "browse" window (click on the magnifying glass).
- Make sure the list is organized by due date. (Use the drop-down menu on the top right.)
- Select the reviews that will be due for the days you'll be gone.
- Then go to Actions --> Reschedule --> Reschedule with initial interval in range.
- For the minimum and maximum days just put the amount of time you want the reviews to be spread out over. So if you'll be gone for 20 days, maybe put the minimum as 21 and the maximum as 41? That way they'll start expiring again the day after you get back and then continue for the following 20 days like they would have done otherwise.
- Then click OK and you're done.

Edited by ellasevia on 22 July 2011 at 2:03am

5 persons have voted this message useful

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5039 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 3 of 25
22 July 2011 at 5:00pm | IP Logged 
There's no reason I can think of to reschedule your decks. You can't pause your brain so it stops forgetting things after all, so why stop the program that is set up to track that forgetting? If you had planned to enter cryonic suspension for a few years, and assuming no loss of memory during your time on ice, then yeah, it'd be useful to reschedule Anki. Failing that, just suck it up and plow through your 2,000 when you get back from vacation--you don't have to do them all the first day.

Edited by ScottScheule on 22 July 2011 at 5:01pm

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4982 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 4 of 25
22 July 2011 at 6:58pm | IP Logged 
@Ellasevia - thank you for your help! I have already rescheduled everything, so that's a load off my mind.

@ScottScheule - I know I wouldn't have to do all the reviews the first day, but I probably would anyway (I can never stand looking at the huge number waiting for me, so I usually just decide to get it over with). Besides that, when you don't review a card for a while, Anki seems to think this means you know the card well. In any case, on the bottom of the screen it will start asking you if you want to review the card again in 20 days instead of 5, for instance, which annoys me and messes up my study schedule. So for me, rescheduling was a better idea.

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5953 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 5 of 25
22 July 2011 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
ScottScheule, the basic idea of rescheduling the decks is so that you don't see a huge number of reviews upon returning from wherever, which is often very demotivating and will in fact prevent me from getting started on reviewing them at all. It's especially bad if you have multiple decks (I have 14, for example) that you have to keep on top of, each with over a thousand reviews.

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5039 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 6 of 25
22 July 2011 at 7:47pm | IP Logged 
Amerykanka wrote:
I can never stand looking at the huge number waiting for me, so I usually just decide to get it over with.

Seems like a silly reason to me, but to each their own.

Amerykanka wrote:
Besides that, when you don't review a card for a while, Anki seems to think this means you know the card well.

I don't think that's true. It's when you get a card right that you haven't reviewed in a while that Anki thinks you know the card well. Which is an accurate thing for Anki to think, because if you get a card right you haven't reviewed in a while, you probably do know it well. If you get the card wrong, Anki will begin to review it just as if it were a new card.

Amerykanka wrote:
In any case, on the bottom of the screen it will start asking you if you want to review the card again in 20 days instead of 5, for instance, which annoys me and messes up my study schedule.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Do you mean the options of Hard, Good, and Easy? Because those show up regardless of rescheduling. Or do you mean that, after waiting a week, the time intervals increase when you finally do get to the card? But if you've gone a week without reviewing the card, then it should increase the time intervals, because you apparently know the fact better than you would have if you had answered it without the week interval. Think about it--say you had a card yesterday, and then you have it the next day. You get it right--whoopty doo, doesn't mean a whole lot, so the intervals should be small. But say you had the card a year ago, and then you get it. Getting that card right is significant--it means you really know it, and thus, the intervals should be much larger.

Again, I don't think there's any reason to reschedule.

Edited by ScottScheule on 22 July 2011 at 7:51pm

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5119 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 7 of 25
22 July 2011 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
Anki website advices against rescheduling in its FAQ:

I'm going on holiday. Can I pause/freeze the scheduler?
Answer

I haven’t studied for a while, and now the next due times are too big!
Answer

If Anki has worked for you so far then I think it makes sense to follow their advice.

Edited by smallwhite on 23 July 2011 at 10:05am

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4982 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 8 of 25
23 July 2011 at 1:26am | IP Logged 
ScottScheule wrote:
Or do you mean that, after waiting a week, the time intervals increase when you finally do get to the card? But if you've gone a week without reviewing the card, then it should increase the time intervals, because you apparently know the fact better than you would have if you had answered it without the week interval. Think about it--say you had a card yesterday, and then you have it the next day. You get it right--whoopty doo, doesn't mean a whole lot, so the intervals should be small. But say you had the card a year ago, and then you get it. Getting that card right is significant--it means you really know it, and thus, the intervals should be much larger.

Again, I don't think there's any reason to reschedule.

Yes, I meant the time intervals increase. What you say about the reasoning behind this makes sense, but I like to review my vocabulary very frequently, even if I know it well. It helps to keep it fresh in my mind. So I prefer to reschedule to avoid the longer time intervals.

@Smallwhite - I clicked on the links but I couldn't find the questions concerning rescheduling in the FAQs. It is probably my fault, because navigating the web is not my strong point!

If I don't respond to further comments in this thread, it is because I am leaving early tomorrow morning.

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version