Language Learning Forum : Philological Room Post Reply
Kiyoko
United States
Joined 4839 days ago

8 posts - 8 votes
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto

Message 1 of 7
25 July 2011 at 5:11am | IP Logged 
Learning to pronounce new sounds has had me thinking about phonology, and which types of
sounds are inherently easier to pronounce than others. I've never really been good at
pronouncing things properly (even in my native language I had to attend speech classes),
and some sounds, such as the Japanese tsu and r, are really killing me. But other sounds,
like most of Japanese's morae, are super easy, leading me to believe that consonant
clusters are hard, whereas morae are easy. But what about consonant-vowel-consonant
syllables? Are they difficult for non-natives to learn to pronounce?
1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5830 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 2 of 7
25 July 2011 at 12:10pm | IP Logged 
Kiyoko wrote:
Are they difficult for non-natives to learn to pronounce?

"Non-natives" is an over-broad term.

Any sound or combination of sounds that doesn't exist in your native language is hard to produce, so difficulty depends on the language being learned, the learner's native language(s) and what other languages the learner has previously studied.

jarm
Australia
Joined 4731 days ago

33 posts - 55 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 3 of 7
25 July 2011 at 1:01pm | IP Logged 
I think it depends on the person, really. Personally, I've always been fairly good at pronouncing foreign words, but I never started learning another language until I was 22. I've also done courses on phonetics and was taught how to produce, as well as identify, any speech sound.

In my opinion, vowels are the hardest to produce. Unlike consonants, where you usually put two things together and blow, vowels depend on where and what position your tongue is in, and so it has a lot of variability.

So, from this point of view, I don't really think CVC is any harder than CV or VC. That said, unreleased word-final vowels can take some getting used to.

From my perspective, consonants feel a lot more fixed and concrete in this sense. They are pretty definite, and once you learn the methods and places of articulation, they seem a lot less difficult and mysterious.

Of course, that doesn't mean that everything comes easily to me. I still have trouble with my [ɮχ]'s in Mongolian... -_-

Edited by jarm on 25 July 2011 at 1:03pm

Kiyoko
United States
Joined 4839 days ago

8 posts - 8 votes
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto

Message 4 of 7
25 July 2011 at 2:34pm | IP Logged 
Sorry, by non-natives I meant people who didn't have the sound in their native language,
eg a Japanese learning to pronounce "dad".

Marc Frisch
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 6484 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 5 of 7
06 August 2011 at 11:00pm | IP Logged 
I don't think there is anything difficult about CVC syllables, as long as you are able to pronounce the individual sounds.

In my opinion (which is very contrary to jarm's) consonants are more difficult. I've never heard anybody complaining much about pronouncing a vowel, whereas I know a lot of people struggle with certain consonants (thrilled r in Spanish, retroflex consonsants in Indian languages, emphatic consonants in Arabic, etc.)

The Arabic "Ayn" probably takes the gold medal for being the sound most people struggle with.

Lugubert
Heptaglot
Sweden
Joined 6686 days ago

186 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Danish, Norwegian, EnglishC2, German, Dutch, French
Studies: Mandarin, Hindi

Message 6 of 7
19 September 2011 at 10:03pm | IP Logged 
Marc Frisch wrote:
I don't think there is anything difficult about CVC syllables, as long as you are able to pronounce the individual sounds.

For people used to only CV syllables, it "should" be easy to suppress a final vowel. Syllables with consonant clusters may be very hard for many learners who aren't used to them. I haven't dared to look at Caucasian clusters, and yet I'm used to words like "västkustskt" (belonging to, or pertaining to, the West coast), "lärftskramhandel" (old word for haberdashery) or "punschskvätt" (a dash of a punch (the beverage)).

Quote:
In my opinion (which is very contrary to jarm's) consonants are more difficult. I've never heard anybody complaining much about pronouncing a vowel, whereas I know a lot of people struggle with certain consonants (thrilled r in Spanish, retroflex consonsants in Indian languages, emphatic consonants in Arabic, etc.)

Perhaps the learners don't complain about vowel difficulties they aren't aware of, but it's a frustrating challenge to teach immigrants our [ ɵ, ʉ̟ː, yː].

Indians, Swedes and Norwegians use retroflexes; otherwise I think they're rare. There are hilarious efforts to describe how to pronounce them:
Learn Tamil in 30 days wrote:
For easy and correct pronunciation of the letters {retroflex n} and {retroflex zh} fold your tongue not touching the upper molar teeth.

Swedish has a probably unique consonant sound, the [ɧ]: a voiceless postalveolar and velar fricative.
Quote:
The Arabic "Ayn" probably takes the gold medal for being the sound most people struggle with.

Mostly agreed. An 1852 explanation of the corresponding Bible Hebrew consonant:
My translation of a grammar in Swedish wrote:
]A peculiar throat sound, perhaps a guttural g. We cannot pronounce it.

A description that helped me a lot: Imagine a hoarse theatre whisper "h", and you'll be close to the Arabic letter ح (Ha). Now produce the corresponding voiced consonant.

I've been less lucky in distinguishing Hindi aspirateds vs. non-aspirateds to the satisfaction of native speakers.

Makrasiroutioun
Quadrilingual Heptaglot
Canada
infowars.com
Joined 5925 days ago

210 posts - 236 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Armenian*, Romanian*, Latin, German, Italian
Studies: Dutch, Swedish, Turkish, Japanese, Russian, Arabic (Written)

Message 7 of 7
21 September 2011 at 12:24am | IP Logged 
In short, yes.

CV is the most natural and easiest syllable structure, requiring less effort and less manipulation of the glottis and regulation of supraglottal/subglottal pressure. CVC, CVCC, CVCCC, etc., all require both more anatomical effort and psycholinguistic effort to reproduce satisfactorily, and mind you, they are also more often slurred or shortened in rapid, natural speech.

Heavier syllables have a tendency for reduction and phonological erosion over time or to have paragogical vowels be inserted, though CV-CV-CV structures often suffer from syncope and apocope, which erodes vowels and gives rise to heavier syllables, so it is indeed an endless circular evolution!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version