Alec
United Kingdom
Joined 6186 days ago

36 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Japanese

Message 73 of 185
01 May 2008 at 10:42pm | IP Logged 
The other day at my restaurant a woman ordered umeshu, which is a sweet alcoholic drink. I asked if she wanted me to put a Japanese apricot into the drink this time as I had been doing up to that point. Being tired and distracted, instead of offering to put into her drink an "umeboshi" (Japanese apricot), I offered to put in an "oshibori" (hand towel). (>_<) The woman looked confused and then I realised my mistake.

Agh, so embarrassing to make such a stupid mistake with two words which don't even sound that similar.
1 person has voted this message useful

Soxpast22
Diglot
United States
Joined 5815 days ago

8 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin
Studies: Irish

Message 74 of 185
12 June 2008 at 11:01pm | IP Logged 
One time in Spanish I meant to say "I drink drinks" (Bebo bebidas) But it instead came out "I drink babies" (Bebo bebés)

Edited by Soxpast22 on 12 June 2008 at 11:02pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Ssizz
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5875 days ago

66 posts - 72 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin, Korean

Message 75 of 185
13 June 2008 at 1:03am | IP Logged 
Soxpast22 wrote:
One time in Spanish I meant to say "I drink drinks" (Bebo bebidas) But it instead came out "I
drink babies" (Bebo bebés)

L M A O!

Bradley326
Groupie
Joined 5963 days ago

78 posts - 104 votes 
Studies: Russian, Kazakh, Spanish

Message 76 of 185
18 June 2008 at 3:53pm | IP Logged 
A few years ago when I had just started learning Russian, a Russian exchange student named Olga began working at the same restaurant as me. I loved practicing my Russian with her.

Anyway, one day as she was exiting the kitchen with a huge tray full of food, drinks, and plates, I tried to say to her, "Olga, oo tyebya yest' tyazhyeliy podnos" (Olga, you have a heavy tray!).

What I said, however, is "Olga, oo tyebya yest' tyazhyeliy ponos" (Olga, you have heavy diarrhea!)

I've never mistaken "ponos" and "podnos" since :)

Edited by Bradley326 on 18 June 2008 at 3:54pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Cisa
Super Polyglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6206 days ago

312 posts - 309 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Hungarian*, Slovak, FrenchC1, EnglishC2, Mandarin, SpanishB2, RussianB2, GermanB2, Korean, Czech, Latin
Studies: Italian, Cantonese, Japanese, Portuguese, Polish, Hindi, Mongolian, Tibetan, Kazakh, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew

Message 77 of 185
19 June 2008 at 4:29am | IP Logged 
This is funny! ;)

Pavilion
Groupie
United States
Joined 5842 days ago

58 posts - 56 votes 

Message 80 of 185
08 July 2008 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
The meaning of "constipated" in English is rather different to "constipado" in Spanish and can lead to humorous blunders I expect!

They both mean to be blocked up, but in English it refers to the intestines while in Spanish it simply means you've got a cold (blocked up nose).

This discussion contains 185 messages over 24 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version