Switzerland
Joined 6219 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 81 of 185
09 July 2008 at 12:57am | IP Logged 
waremchan wrote:
I once went for a walk with Carla, an Italian friend of mine, and we saw a bumblebee. I didn't know the Italian word for it, so I asked her. She looked at the bumblebee, puzzled, and said, 'vespa' - a wasp. I couldn't keep laughing, she got angry. And that was the happy end.

I'd probably call it an "ape" - which, despite the amusing spelling, is approximately "ah-pay".

1 person has voted this message useful

brozman
Bilingual Tetraglot
Groupie
Spain
Joined 5836 days ago

87 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*, English, Japanese
Studies: Russian, Indonesian

Message 82 of 185
09 July 2008 at 12:20pm | IP Logged 
I was with my host family in Japan when they asked me "how old is your cousin?". I wanted to answer "she is 9", which would be "kyuusai desu", but I said "kusai desu" instead, which means "she is stinking". You can imagine it, we laughed for hours!

Stupid Japanese and its double names for numbers!
3 persons have voted this message useful

Pavilion
Groupie
United States
Joined 5835 days ago

58 posts - 56 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 83 of 185
10 July 2008 at 8:05am | IP Logged 
brozman wrote:
I was with my host family in Japan when they asked me "how old is your cousin?". I wanted to answer "she is 9", which would be "kyuusai desu", but I said "kusai desu" instead, which means "she is stinking". You can imagine it, we laughed for hours!

Stupid Japanese and its double names for numbers!

That's very funny!

qklilx
United States
Joined 5966 days ago

459 posts - 477 votes 
Studies: Korean
Personal Language Map

Message 84 of 185
10 July 2008 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
This is more of a blunder regarding my target language rather than being in my target language.

I was walking with a couple of friends across the street from my Korean university campus last year, speaking English. At some point in one of my sentences I said the word "shit" as an interjection. Since I was quoting someone there was nothing after this, especially after what happened next.

I noticed a high school girl in the corner of my eye. Her face completely elongated with shock and surprise at what I had just said. See, in Korean there is a word "ssibal," which is the equivalent of most of the vulgar English interjections, even the bad ones. You can shorten it to just "ssi" if you want. I saw the girl talking to her friends and pointing at me and I realized what had happened after I had passed and I made a very big "NO" hand gesture at her.

sajro
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5776 days ago

129 posts - 131 votes 
1 sounds
Studies: Spanish

Message 85 of 185
10 July 2008 at 11:08pm | IP Logged 
qklilx wrote:
This is more of a blunder regarding my target language rather than being in my target language.

I was walking with a couple of friends across the street from my Korean university campus last year, speaking English. At some point in one of my sentences I said the word "shit" as an interjection. Since I was quoting someone there was nothing after this, especially after what happened next.

I noticed a high school girl in the corner of my eye. Her face completely elongated with shock and surprise at what I had just said. See, in Korean there is a word "ssibal," which is the equivalent of most of the vulgar English interjections, even the bad ones. You can shorten it to just "ssi" if you want. I saw the girl talking to her friends and pointing at me and I realized what had happened after I had passed and I made a very big "NO" hand gesture at her.

qklilx, I can usually decipher what your meaning is on IRC, but this post has me stumped! How did 'ssi' and 'shit' get mixed up (or did they?) and why was this so severe a blunder?

Olympia
Triglot
United States
Joined 5761 days ago

195 posts - 244 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Old English, French

Message 86 of 185
13 July 2008 at 5:26pm | IP Logged 
A few years ago in a Spanish class, we were learning about archaeology and ruins and vocabulary like that, and I
wanted to say, "El archaeologo buscó entre las piedras y encontró el tesoro." ("The archaeologist looked in between
the rocks and found the treasure.") Instead, I said, "El archaeologo buscó entre las piernas y encontró el
tesoro." (The archaeologist looked between the LEGS and found the treasure.) I will never forget the look on my
teacher's face. Luckily, I realized my mistake immediately and corrected myself without her having to explain my
mistake to the whole class.

Edited by Olympia on 13 July 2008 at 5:27pm

qklilx
United States
Joined 5966 days ago

459 posts - 477 votes 
Studies: Korean
Personal Language Map

Message 87 of 185
14 July 2008 at 3:29pm | IP Logged 
sajro wrote:
qklilx, I can usually decipher what your meaning is on IRC, but this post has me stumped! How did 'ssi' and 'shit' get mixed up (or did they?) and why was this so severe a blunder?

Like I mentioned, I was outside the campus. I should have mentioned it was pretty crowded, so there were many, many people conversing. I should also mention that "ssi" is pronounced "she." That's how they got mixed up. And as I said, "ssi" is a shortened form of "ssibal," which is a very bad word in Korean.

I guess the confusion doesn't make this humorous anymore. =(

mytamk
Diglot
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6058 days ago

64 posts - 68 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 88 of 185
16 July 2008 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
My Japanese instructor told us she had a relative visiting the U.S. from Japan to practice his English. Since Japanese do not have "Si" in their language, only "Shi", he was telling the dog to "Shit". "Shit". When he actually meant "sit, sit".

This discussion contains 185 messages over 24 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version