United States
yoadam.com
Joined 5675 days ago

8 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: English*, Marshallese
Studies: German, Korean

Message 97 of 185
25 September 2008 at 2:15am | IP Logged 
So I was in the Marshall Islands, in a store parking lot... My friends and I were all sitting in the backseat of our van, waiting for the driver who was in the store shopping. There was a creepy looking teenaged boy, who was giving all of us the evil eye. And as we were all conversing in Marshallese, I saw the boy walk up next to our car, and whip his thing out-- he started to piss all over the cement right in front of us! (I was the only person who saw him!!) I could not remember how to say "pee" in Marshallese, so I began yelling at my friends in the car, "e pejak! e pejak!" which means, "He shit! He shit!" They all thought it was really funny :-)
...needless to say, that boy was BweBwe AKA CRAZY.!.

Edited by YoAdam on 25 September 2008 at 2:17am

1 person has voted this message useful

maya_star17
Bilingual Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5674 days ago

269 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian*, French, Spanish
Studies: Japanese

Message 98 of 185
30 September 2008 at 12:32am | IP Logged 
This didn't happen to me personally, but an aquaintance of mine from a few years ago told me about an experience she had when she went to school in Russia.

They had a teacher that was Turkish and had a rather thick accent in Russian. He told the students:

Ya hochu shto be vi PIsali v tetratkah. (I want you [guys] to pee in your notebooks.)

What he had meant to say was: Ya hochu shto be vi piSAli v tetratkah. (I want you [guys] to WRITE in your notebooks.)

Just goes to show how important placing the stress on the correct syllable is in Russian :)

(By the way, I realize that I probably mispelt the Russian above. It's because I speak, but do not read/write Russian.)

Americano
Korea, South
Joined 6605 days ago

101 posts - 120 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean

Message 99 of 185
25 October 2008 at 12:55pm | IP Logged 
When I was in Mexico a friend of mine use to say quite often, "tengo caliente", which I believe translated as she was telling guys she was horny, instead of saying "tengo calor". And she use to wonder why she was so popular in the clubs! HaHa.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5793 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 100 of 185
25 October 2008 at 6:45pm | IP Logged 
Lol. I was not aware girls can be "horny" too. It is an amazing feat considering their lack of horn-like attributes.

Americano
Korea, South
Joined 6605 days ago

101 posts - 120 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean

Message 101 of 185
26 October 2008 at 2:30am | IP Logged 
Sennin wrote:
Lol. I was not aware girls can be "horny" too. It is an amazing feat considering their lack of horn-like attributes.

LOL touche..nevertheless, it's still a common expression used by men and women alike.

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5844 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 102 of 185
26 October 2008 at 4:39am | IP Logged 
Without offending our admin :)

I'll say that when I first came here I was waiting in the car with some people I'd just met. My friend was still in the house and we were getting impatient for him to come out. I wanted to say "honk the car horn at him" but I didn't know the word "hupen" yet. I used the verb for "horn-blowing" but I used it with the Dativ (at him). There was a painful moment of silence and of "OOPs" and then we all chuckled.    

Alvinho
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 5993 days ago

828 posts - 832 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish

Message 103 of 185
27 October 2008 at 10:35am | IP Logged 
don't ever say "coger un micro (ómnibus)" in Argentina, because "coger" is "to have sex".....just say "tomar un micro".....a friend of mine went there a couple of years ago and asked a local commuter which bus he should catch to get to Monumental de Nuñez stadium....obviously he mentioned "coger un bus".....inevitably the other commuters laughed at him and he got angry....later he realized why that had happened.

Edited by Alvinho on 27 October 2008 at 10:40am

Tigresuisse
Triglot
SwitzerlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5764 days ago

182 posts - 180 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian

Message 104 of 185
27 October 2008 at 10:56am | IP Logged 
I'm sorry but I have no time to read the entire thread ... but I'll add my 2 stories.

The first one is about me.
At that time I was living in Munich and one day we were celebrating a birthday so my intention was to go to the person that was having birthday and say that I wished to toast with HER (a girl) and instead of this I came out with the German equivalent of "I want to have sex with you" so ... you can imagine the rest of the story ...

and the second story is about a classmate of mine.
She lived 5 years in London (she is also Italian native) and when she arrived she started working in a restaurant.
One day she wanted to ask a customer if HE needed a fork, and instead she said "do you want a f**k?" ...

These are the best 2 I have but if I think further I would probably find some more ...
Marta

This discussion contains 185 messages over 24 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version