Diglot
United States
Joined 5226 days ago

116 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Hindi, Bengali

Message 137 of 185
03 January 2010 at 8:14pm | IP Logged 
Once, visiting Calcutta, I decided to amuse my teacher's wife and daughter by imitatiing Bengali. They listened
straight-faced as I went on with nonsense bengali " ami sube shone jake dishe shono shabe etc. etc." Suddenly
they both fell over laughing. I had said "Beshi khabo beshi hagbo" ( I will eat a lot, I will sh**t a lot). The funny
thing was, it had actually made sense!

I also read about a man in Japan who was asked to give a speech to his child's Boy Scout troops' parents (eg moms)
about the United States. In the midst of his speech, he tried to say that the sky was a different color in the US.
Unfortunately the word for sky is very close to the word for excrement. (I no longer remember what the word was)
Which was the word he used. He wrote that the funniest thing was that the moms didn't bat an eyelash. (Foreigners,
you know, talk about the weirdest things).
2 persons have voted this message useful

psy88
United States
Joined 5377 days ago

469 posts - 882 votes 
Studies: Spanish*, Japanese, Latin, French

Message 138 of 185
20 May 2010 at 4:46am | IP Logged 
I am not sure if this fits the category of humorous blunders but:I have been studying Spanish and recently added French as my second target language. I met a woman whose first and last name appeared to be French or at least of French heritage. She spoke English with a slight accent which I assumed to be French. And, yes, when you "assume" you really do make am "ass" of "u" and "me". So I approached her with a short greeting in French, and she responded politely and smilingly in French. After a very brief conversation ( I am only starting my French study) we switched to English. It turned out she is not French, despite having a French name. She is from Chile. Her native language is Spanish, but she is also fluent in Italian and English and "can get by" in French.

1 person has voted this message useful

quendidil
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6098 days ago

126 posts - 142 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin, English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 139 of 185
20 May 2010 at 1:29pm | IP Logged 
Deji wrote:

I also read about a man in Japan who was asked to give a speech to his child's Boy Scout troops' parents (eg moms)
about the United States. In the midst of his speech, he tried to say that the sky was a different color in the US.
Unfortunately the word for sky is very close to the word for excrement. (I no longer remember what the word was)
Which was the word he used. He wrote that the funniest thing was that the moms didn't bat an eyelash. (Foreigners,
you know, talk about the weirdest things).

I think I read that article before. He wasn't talking about the sky - rather he was trying to say "grass" (草、くさ) which he mispronounced as 糞 (くそ)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Guido
Super Polyglot
ArgentinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6314 days ago

286 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, German, Italian, Portuguese, Norwegian, Catalan, Dutch, Swedish, Danish
Studies: Russian, Indonesian, Romanian, Polish, Icelandic

Message 140 of 185
28 May 2010 at 7:37am | IP Logged 
I was giving some geography lessons to a friend of mine from Ecuador. When I finished, she asked me: "¿Ya acabaste?" (in
standard Spanish this means "Did you already finish?"). In Rioplantese it means "Did you already cum?" and I said: "Yes. Do you
want more?". After that, I explained her what she had said.

2 persons have voted this message useful

ladanoise
Groupie
United States
Joined 5079 days ago

45 posts - 46 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Danish

Message 141 of 185
01 June 2010 at 8:18pm | IP Logged 
When I was a child visiting family in Denmark, I went on a field trip with my cousins class. I told a boy in the class that "Jeg spise engelsk". I meant to tell him that I speak English, but instead told him that I eat English - he thought that was hilarious.

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6058 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 142 of 185
05 July 2010 at 4:11pm | IP Logged 
While speaking Turkish recently, I confused tava ("frying pan") with tavan ("ceiling").

Quabazaa
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5395 days ago

414 posts - 543 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German, French
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Maori, Scottish Gaelic, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Written)

Message 143 of 185
05 July 2010 at 5:40pm | IP Logged 
Oh god I just remembered one I said in German a few weeks ago. I was talking to my German friend, explaining how the New Zealand team hadn't been to the World Cup for 28 years.. But you know, Fußballweltmeisterschaft is such a long word that I thought I would shorten it. But instead of saying "WM" which is what I should have said, my brain shortened it in English and so "WC" came out of my mouth...

So I actually said something like "Wow, I can't wait! It's the first time in 28 years that the New Zealand football team has been to the toilet! Can you believe it?"

g.polskov
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5038 days ago

37 posts - 50 votes
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese

Message 144 of 185
09 July 2010 at 3:13pm | IP Logged 
Until I remember one of mine, I'll post one a guy I know did. (hey, let's put the others to shame before). He is american from a hispanic family, so sometimes tend to blend (false) cognate words in the two languages without really thinking too much about it.

So we're going fishing with a peruvian guy who tells us he is taking us to a good spot he's been to earlier this week. My friend wants to say "Did you catch a few fishes" and says "Cachaste unos pescados?" The guy did not answer and kept paddling.

Needless to say he was embarassed when I told him he just asked him if he had sexual intercourse with a few fishes. Ha! ha!

Edited by g.polskov on 13 July 2010 at 5:37pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 185 messages over 24 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version