Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5819 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 145 of 185
09 July 2010 at 7:27pm | IP Logged 
William Camden wrote:
While speaking Turkish recently, I confused tava ("frying pan") with tavan ("ceiling").

Funny thing, the same words are used in Bulgarian for both objects - тава and таван.

This is not related to the main topic. My language blunders are so many I have stopped counting, and I'm trying to forget...

Edited by Sennin on 09 July 2010 at 7:28pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

RealGodiva
Diglot
Canada
Joined 5016 days ago

8 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2

Message 146 of 185
30 July 2010 at 4:22pm | IP Logged 
Many years ago, when my knowledge of English was far from what it is now, I once had nothing else to do and decided to listen to the famous "Stairway to Heaven" and write down the words of the song. It took me around 3 hours and the "poem" even made some sense. I so regret that I haven't saved that masterpiece! When I found the real words of the song and compared to my creation, it was a really embarrassing surprise to me!
3 persons have voted this message useful

psy88
United States
Joined 5376 days ago

469 posts - 882 votes 
Studies: Spanish*, Japanese, Latin, French

Message 147 of 185
01 August 2010 at 12:24am | IP Logged 
RealGodiva wrote:
Many years ago, when my knowledge of English was far from what it is now, I once had nothing else to do and decided to listen to the famous "Stairway to Heaven" and write down the words of the song. It took me around 3 hours and the "poem" even made some sense. I so regret that I haven't saved that masterpiece! When I found the real words of the song and compared to my creation, it was a really embarrassing surprise to me!

Don't feel too badly.There are many popular songs in English that are misunderstood by native English speakers. They, too are surprise, if not shocked, to find out that what they thought they heard, and were often singing, was far from the actual lyrics.
PS you have an interesting nickname: is it based on the chocolate or the Lady or some thing else?

anamsc
Triglot
Andorra
Joined 5988 days ago

296 posts - 382 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Written), French

Message 148 of 185
01 August 2010 at 5:13am | IP Logged 
I had a friend who thought the lyrics to "Rock and Roll All Night" were
"I wanna rock and roll all night...and part of every day"!

psy88
United States
Joined 5376 days ago

469 posts - 882 votes 
Studies: Spanish*, Japanese, Latin, French

Message 149 of 185
29 August 2010 at 1:21am | IP Logged 
While on vacation, I was able to buy a lot of French(my second target language) textbooks at a library annex sale. The woman who worked there was a "woman of a certain age", i.e a senior citizen. She commented about my purchases, asking if I were a teacher of French. I explained that I was a student of the language. She offered to give me lessons, but as I was leaving the next day, had to decline. I then asked her, in French, if she was French. She was. We had a brief conversation in French. When I was ready to leave I thanked her. I wanted to say that she was very kind. I had a momentary lapse and could not think of the word I wanted. In a split second I remembered that there were words that were not cognates but "false friends". I knew that "gentil", did not mean "gentle"; I also knew that "jolie" did not mean "jolly". I also knew one of them mean "kind". So I used the word that I thought was the correct one. The woman blushed, smiled at me, but gave me what I thought was a quizzical look. I walked out feeling good about our exchange but kept wondering about the final interaction. As soon as I got back to my hotel, I checked my Assimil course (of course I had to bring it with me!).
What I actually had told the woman at the end was that she was "tres jolie", "very pretty", not "very kind". I was left wondering how she felt:flattered? insulted? hit on?, wondering if I used the wrong word? complimented? It is not the type of thing where you can go back and say "I didn't mean you were pretty". So, I struggled with whether I made a fool of myself or if I brightened the woman's day.
5 persons have voted this message useful

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4992 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 150 of 185
30 August 2010 at 7:47pm | IP Logged 
In France when I was 12 I shouted "aujourd-hui!" instead of "au revoir!" to a woman at a toll booth on the autoroute (I was with my family, in our right-hand-drive British car, in the passenger seat hence being on the left-hand side of the car to give her the money). Which is "today!" instead of "goodbye!"; I got confused as they both start with au-. It was over 10 years ago, and I only knew very basic French then, but I still get a bit embarrassed when I think about it.

I've also said "mi dica" instead of "mi dia" in Italian, which is "tell me" instead of "give me", but it was just when talking to friends rather than in a "proper" interaction with a stranger.

The best one though was, in French, "il s'est fait niquer par une guêpe" instead of "il s'est fait piquer par une guêpe"... Instead of "he was stung by a wasp" I said "he was f**ked by a wasp".
1 person has voted this message useful

maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5004 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 151 of 185
02 September 2010 at 2:41pm | IP Logged 
After injuring myself slightly creating a nose bleed I asked the sister of my exchange partner
"Avez-vous un badinage ?"

Do you have a chat/banter? I also found out it meant dalliance too.....

She did see the funny side.   
1 person has voted this message useful

maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5004 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 152 of 185
02 September 2010 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 
And two coming the other way ....

Injured by a colleague in the middle of the night and having woken up a very efficient German doctor at the Krankenhaus to sow my busted lip back together again...

"Could you remove your bicycles, please?" In a perfect English accent.
He meant spectacles: it took him seconds to correct himself and about 40 minutes to stop chuckling to himself and actually sow my lip up.

The second one:
Working for large Japanese company I picked up a rather attractive Japanese lady from the airport to drive her to our newly built factory in England and having exhausted my, at the time, limited conversational Japanese we reverted to English.

I was anticipating great things after she asked me "Do you have a condom?"

What she meant was "Do you live in a condo?" meaning apartment/flat. It took quite some time for the correct message to sink in. She laughed about it later and on my first long trip to the main factory in Japan I was known to all the 'office ladies' as 'Rubba man'   

Edited by maydayayday on 02 September 2010 at 4:19pm

7 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 185 messages over 24 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version