yourvietnamese.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4730 days ago

98 posts - 132 votes 
Speaks: Vietnamese*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 177 of 185
11 September 2011 at 2:06pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
Gi and d (and r in the North) in Vietnamese is 'z' in English, but g by itself can also be 'g'. I was confused, and thought the word for girl was giái, not gái. The word giái is actually spelt dái, and means testicle.

Jarm, I wonder how you felt when you spotted the blunder. +1.
1 person has voted this message useful

pfn123
Australia
Joined 4864 days ago

171 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 178 of 185
16 September 2011 at 4:40am | IP Logged 
Not long before my first trip to China, I was speaking with a Chinese friend. He asked me how I was feeling about the trip. I hadn’t been learning Mandarin for very long, and I felt that language would be a problem, especially my pronunciation. So, I answered him by saying ‘我着急’. At least, that’s what I thought I said. He stared at me in shock and stuttered: ‘你说什么呢?’ In fact, instead of saying ‘我着急’ (wŏ zháo jí), I actually said ‘我找鸡’ (wŏ zhăo jī), which, as my friend explained, has a very unsavoury meaning indeed. So, I learnt that tones matter, and practised them a lot more after that! Ironic too, considering I was 着急 about my pronunciation…

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5509 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 179 of 185
27 June 2013 at 8:32am | IP Logged 
The Guardian published an article on the subject of language blunders. In the comments you'll find plenty of examples from the readers.

The Guardian Language Mistakes

nikolic993
Diglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 3561 days ago

106 posts - 205 votes 
Speaks: Serbian*, English
Studies: Italian, Mandarin, Romanian, Persian

Message 180 of 185
01 April 2015 at 12:49am | IP Logged 
Well, I was hopping that I wouldn't end up writing anything in this thread, but it finally happened yesterday.

We were learning some hand gestures in Italian class, and we were supposed to connect the pictures with their definitions or common expressions that are used with them. It was my turn to read the expression out loud and I was supposed to say "Che fifa!(How scary!), but instead I actually said "Che figa!(Something like "What a c**t!"). I only realized after like 2 seconds that I made a mistake, and I corrected myself right away while the professor was giving me a blank stare. None of the other students understood what I said, but unfortunately the female professor did.

Edited by nikolic993 on 01 April 2015 at 1:12am

4 persons have voted this message useful

basica
Australia
Joined 3317 days ago

157 posts - 269 votes 
Studies: Serbian

Message 181 of 185
01 April 2015 at 1:59am | IP Logged 
When I was in high school I had this guy come up to me and say "hey, tell me how to
insult people in Serbian". I didn't like him very much so I said tell somebody "Ja sam
budala" - it means you are an idiot. He smiled and then a while later he went up to a
Croatian guy in our grade and said "HEY X, JA SAM BUDALA!!" the guy looked confused and
then started laughing, the guy I didn't like think he mustn't have heard him properly or
something so he says it even louder "JA SAM BUDALA!!!!!!"

It was quite amusing :) (Ja sam means I am).
5 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4670 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 182 of 185
01 April 2015 at 2:36am | IP Logged 
Something I learned in San Juan: In Puerto Rico tripe is los callos while
tripa is slang for something more private. It's poor form to ask the bartender,
"su plata de tripa ¿es grande o pequeña?"

3 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4670 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 183 of 185
01 April 2015 at 2:44am | IP Logged 
One more:

In Chuukese (Micronesian) purha chicken, and perhaw is shark.

The first time I saw a shark while spear fishing I jumped onto the nearest rock and
started screaming that I just saw a giant chicken. I couldn't understand why everyone
else stayed so damn calm.

Edited by kanewai on 01 April 2015 at 2:45am

3 persons have voted this message useful

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5509 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 184 of 185
01 April 2015 at 8:03am | IP Logged 
basica wrote:
When I was in high school I had this guy come up to me and say "hey, tell me how to
insult people in Serbian". I didn't like him very much so I said tell somebody "Ja sam
budala" - it means you are an idiot. He smiled and then a while later he went up to a
Croatian guy in our grade and said "HEY X, JA SAM BUDALA!!" the guy looked confused and
then started laughing, the guy I didn't like think he mustn't have heard him properly or
something so he says it even louder "JA SAM BUDALA!!!!!!"

It was quite amusing :) (Ja sam means I am).

I think that's a great thing to do and who knows, it might save him being in a fight. Imagine he wants to use it in a serious situation. "You're an idiot" would make things worse. But someone admitting "I'm an idiot" will probably end in laughter.

This discussion contains 185 messages over 24 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version