Tags: Error | Joke | Multilingual
 Language Learning Forum : Cultural Experiences in Foreign Languages Post Reply
185 messages over 24 pages: 1 2 3 4 57 ... 6 ... 23 24 Next >>
Alfonso
Octoglot
Mexico
Joined 6647 days ago

511 posts - 536 votes 
Speaks: Biblical Hebrew, Spanish*, French, English, Tzotzil, Italian, Portuguese, Ancient Greek
Studies: Nahuatl, Tzeltal, German

Message 41 of 185
03 February 2008 at 4:07pm | IP Logged 
When I was learning Tseltal, I had trouble learning how to use transitive and intransitive verbs and how to differetiate when a substantive is a direct object or a noun.

So, when somebody asked me: "What did you eat?", Intead of answering: "I ate chili" (laj we' ich'), I got confused, made a mistake and said: "The chili ate me"!!! (laj swe'on ich') :)

In another occasion, a friend of mine wanted to say: "I ride on a horse" (kahalon ta cawo'), but she said wrongly instead: "I'm naked on a horse" (kachalon ta cawo'). As you can notice, she missed one single letter: "c", and that makes a big difference in the meaning.

Edited by Alfonso on 04 February 2008 at 9:52pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6225 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 42 of 185
03 February 2008 at 4:41pm | IP Logged 
Alfonso wrote:

In another occasion, a friend of mine wanted to say: "I raid on a horse" (kahalon ta cawo'), but she said wrongly instead: I'm naked on a horse (kachalon ta cawo'). As you can notice, she missed one single letter: "c", and that makes a big difference in the meaning.

Do you mean 'raid' or 'ride'? If it's the former, you should phrase it a little differently, and if it's the latter, it's a fairly humorous blunder (no offense intended!)

1 person has voted this message useful

cothromóid
Triglot
Groupie
Ireland
Joined 5932 days ago

77 posts - 78 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Irish
Studies: Spanish, Italian

Message 43 of 185
04 February 2008 at 3:32pm | IP Logged 
I got work experience in a French hardware shop last year. Beforehand, I spent a while learning hardware-
related vocabulary in preparation for it.

Initially I kept forgetting the word for 'hammer' ('marteau'), so I spent ages after that making sure that it stuck.

Because I had learnt it so well, I went around for a week confusing it with the word for coat ('manteau').

One day, as the shop was closing up, I realised that I had left my coat in the office upstairs. I ran back into the
shop, and shouted up the stairs to my employer:
"Monsieur, pouvez-vous me donner mon marteau s'il vous plait, je l'ai oublié".

He came down the stairs with this puzzled look, as if he thought I was swiping the merchandise or something.

I went past up the stairs, got my coat, and the penny dropped.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Alfonso
Octoglot
Mexico
Joined 6647 days ago

511 posts - 536 votes 
Speaks: Biblical Hebrew, Spanish*, French, English, Tzotzil, Italian, Portuguese, Ancient Greek
Studies: Nahuatl, Tzeltal, German

Message 44 of 185
04 February 2008 at 9:53pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
Do you mean 'raid' or 'ride'? If it's the former, you should phrase it a little differently, and if it's the latter, it's a fairly humorous blunder (no offense intended!)

Thank you, I made a mistake. I corrected it already.

rggg
Heptaglot
Mexico
Joined 6111 days ago

373 posts - 426 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English, French, Italian, Portuguese, Indonesian, Malay
Studies: Romanian, Catalan, Greek, German, Swedish

Message 45 of 185
05 February 2008 at 9:56am | IP Logged 
Ha!!!

A regular lady Godiva :)

Off-topic (Humorous Blunders):

I'd never paid attention to the Tseltal language, so when I read your post I check it (trabajo en el INEGI) and I was really surprised with the results:

261,084 persons above 4 years old spoke Tseltal in 1990.

Even though it's a small figure I expected it to be lower.

Take care!!!

diamondbacker
United States
Joined 5967 days ago

7 posts - 7 votes

Message 46 of 185
18 February 2008 at 9:34am | IP Logged 
-

Edited by diamondbacker on 27 October 2009 at 6:12am

allesgeht08
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6530 days ago

42 posts - 44 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian

Message 47 of 185
18 February 2008 at 8:00pm | IP Logged 
In my German I class, a boy was trying to say "I want to meet your sister" ("ich moechte deine Schwester treffen"). But he forgot the word for "meet" and decided to Germanize the English one, so it came out 'ich will deine Schwester mieten'. After giving him a strange look, the teacher informed him that he had just said "I want to rent your sister".
3 persons have voted this message useful

Biene
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 6008 days ago

71 posts - 73 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Dutch, Japanese

Message 48 of 185
19 February 2008 at 10:39am | IP Logged 
Another German-English blunter.

One time when I was in England I stayed at a friends place. His mom cooked wonderful meals and I intended to compliment her on her cooking skills. So I said "You are a very good cooker" and not "You are a very good cook".
We had a good laugh after she explained to me what I had just said. Apparently you can't always trust your own logic: to swim = a swimmer, to run = a runner, to cook = a cooker... ;)

This discussion contains 185 messages over 24 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version