Diglot
United States
Joined 5512 days ago

18 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Mandarin, Arabic (Egyptian), Russian

Message 185 of 185
09 May 2016 at 8:25am | IP Logged 
Years ago, I was on my college campus in a hangout area with an Algerian friend of mine
talking in French as we usually do when some girl who I reaaally do not like, primarily
because she is often disrespectful, walks up to us and asks us if we can teach her
something in French. Well, of course I took this golden opportunity to tell her that "Je
suis une s*lope" and "Je suis une c**nasse* equally means that "I am a pretty/beautiful
girl". She was only somewhat suspicious, but that did not stop her from repeating it over
and over again when all of a sudden a Haitian guy who was hanging out on a couch on the
other side of the room starts busting out laughing!!! That was a glorious moment.

On another occasion, my Chinese research post-doc was giving his final presentation on his
work regarding certain optical properties of some special inks and engineered devices we
created. Well at some point he was referring to the level of "blue shift" that occurs in
some of the materials during certain processes etc etc except he said "blue sh*t" and NOT
"blue shift". One of the other undergrad research assistants and I looked at each other
and nearly blew a blood vessel trying not to laugh. AND he continued to repeat it since he
didn't know any better. The entire room remained silent although I think I was probably
only 1 out of 4 native English speakers there so I'm not sure how many others caught it.
In any case, afterwards I went up to him and congratulated him on an otherwise great
presentation and also informed him on what he just said, but in Chinese. He blushed and
apologized; I just laughed and told him not to worry about it; he was leaving anyway.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 185 messages over 24 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version