Joined 6476 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 9 of 24
26 July 2011 at 10:55pm | IP Logged 
Faraday wrote:
If you want to speak like a native, you need two critical things INPUT and OUTPUT. Don't worry about
the number. The INPUT and OUTPUT will take care of the rest.

Thank you, but I am not talking about speaking a language like a native speaker, I am talking about using just ONE audio-sentence like a native speaker.

1 person has voted this message useful

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5029 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 10 of 24
26 July 2011 at 11:07pm | IP Logged 
Just kidding around. I do it with people I like.

1. Is your process that you´re sitting down, one time, and repeating one sentence over and over again until it sticks? I imagine that'll take quite a while to stick if you don't reinforce it later.

2. If that's your procedure, I have no experience. I write useful phrases on Anki and use the spaced repetition to remember it.

3. I have, however, memorized poetry in the past. After a while, the line becomes so ingrained that it will come out naturally. (Let us go then, you and I, when the evening is spread out against the sky, like a patient etherized upon a table... been a while since I've recited that one, might be some mistakes). I take it that's the kind of thing you're looking for. Probably one hundred times, counting all the failed attempts when I'm first trying to remember it. But of course that has to be reinforced from time to time to keep it around.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5567 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 11 of 24
26 July 2011 at 11:15pm | IP Logged 
ScottScheule wrote:
Just kidding around. I do it with people I like.

You must love me then. Sorry, but you're not my type.

slucido, they are right in saying that there is no absolute number of repetitions you would need to learn any phrase, even when the circumstances are clearer than what you've specified so far. You just repeat it until you've got it down.

Edited by Bao on 26 July 2011 at 11:15pm

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5029 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 12 of 24
26 July 2011 at 11:16pm | IP Logged 
There's probably an average number, but it's going to vary from person to person. I, for example, have a very bad ear for such things, so it takes me a while.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6710 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 24
26 July 2011 at 11:58pm | IP Logged 
I thought you already knew the answer (didn't you have a Youtube clip about chorusing and native-like pronunciation?), but in case I mix you up with someone else, I'd say that it depends on a lot of factors. Your familiarity with phonemes involved, your aptitude for imitating sounds and so on.

Edited by jeff_lindqvist on 26 July 2011 at 11:58pm

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6476 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds

Message 14 of 24
27 July 2011 at 12:04am | IP Logged 
ScottScheule wrote:
There's probably an average number, but it's going to vary from person to person. I, for example, have a very bad ear for such things, so it takes me a while.

Sure the number of repetitions depends on the person and the language, but I think the question is very interesting.

People want to learn a foreign language very well or they want to improve quickly or they even want to speak like native speakers.

I think these goals are very unspecific and the answers as well: input, output, comprehensible input and endless variations. I think this is very vague and nebulous.

How can we become much more specific and scientific? How can we use much more measurable goals?

If we start with ONE sentence, one to four seconds long, we might have something much more specific.

1-What do we need to speak just ONE sentence like a native speaker?

2-How can we keep this performance?

The aswer to the second question is something like distributed practice: SRS or something more primitive.

What's the answer to the first question?

I guess is easy to measure the output. If a native speaker listens to you saying aloud the sentence, he will be able to tell you if your sentence sounds like a native speaker or not. How do you get this native-like performance with ONE sentence?

I guess it is feasible to achieve this goal with one sentence. I think is a matter of repetition and chorusing with the audio. Maybe you will need a lot of repetitions at the very beginning and much more if it is a far-related language. For example an English speaker learning Mandarin sentences.

I guess you will need much less repetitions as you work with more and more sentences and the number of chorused repetitions needed will decrease exponentially and you will speed up the number of sentences.

Do you see what's my point?

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6476 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds

Message 15 of 24
27 July 2011 at 12:10am | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
I thought you already knew the answer (didn't you have a Youtube clip about chorusing and native-like pronunciation?), but in case I mix you up with someone else, I'd say that it depends on a lot of factors. Your familiarity with phonemes involved, your aptitude for imitating sounds and so on.

Yes, I have a Youtube video, but this video is more a question than an answer.
I am thinking aloud about answers. What do you think apart from the mortal boring factor?

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5567 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 16 of 24
27 July 2011 at 1:08am | IP Logged 
slucido wrote:
I think these goals are very unspecific and the answers as well: input, output, comprehensible input and endless variations. I think this is very vague and nebulous.

How can we become much more specific and scientific? How can we use much more measurable goals?

If we start with ONE sentence, one to four seconds long, we might have something much more specific.

Not exactly specific, either. What languages does the person in question speak? Which language is the sentence in? How well does the participant speak that language?
All of those are vitally important even if you ignore talent/motivation of your participant.
Most people won't be able to learn to say exactly one sentence just like a native speaker when they don't speak the language. That's because they don't have a good model of the target language sounds, and will use approximations when they recreate the sentence from memory. So you cannot look at one sentence in isolation if you want to reach a good performance, but without that one isolated sentences you have synergetic effects to account for ...

By the way, it usually takes me one or two nights of sleep to reach an acceptable performance. (That is, practice until I feel I stopped improving, sleep, practice again.)

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version