Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 169 of 479
08 July 2012 at 6:39pm | IP Logged 
한국어 (2012년 7월 1일- 2012년 7월 7일):

Hanja: 14

Korean cards: 39

"Survival Korean Vocabulary" Sections Completed: None

Scorched Earth Reading: None

Extensive Reading: 8 pages of 노인과 바다 (no Twitter or ko.wikipedia.org visits this past week)

Active Practice: none

Song Memorization: As noted below in the 日本語 section, I'm dropping back to my normal pace with Pimsleur Japanese. As such, I'm going to attempt to start song memorization again beginning with "Longer" by 치치. I've already memorized the chorus to this song, so I only need to work on the verses and the rap sections. The rap is a bit fast-paced but no more so than the rap from "외 이러니" by 티아라 was, so it should be challenging but doable.

---

español (1/7/2012 - 7/7/2012): No updates.

---

日本語 (2012年 7月 1日 - 2012年 7月 7日):

Pimsleur Japanese:
- Lessons 21-23 (27 cards)

The card count above only includes lessons 21 and 22, not lesson 23 (I have the data for lesson 23, but I haven't added it to Anki yet). Also I didn't have much luck confirming the spelling on a few items from lesson 22, so that count should be a few higher even for only those two lessons.

You may also notice that 3 lessons is a bit below the 5 lesson target I had for this past week. The fact that I was off work on Wednesday (4th of July), dropped it by one lesson, since my follow up passes are done during the commute (and I've found that I get distracted too easily if I try to do Pimsleur lessons at home, so I only do the initial pass at home so I can note any new words or constructions to SRS later). Another lesson was knocked off by lack of motivation on Thursday afternoon due to being mentally sapped after work that day.

As such, I'm going to drop the accelerated Pimsleur schedule and continue at my pace of about 3 lessons per week. This also frees my afternoon commute back up for other languages.

---

There are some changes coming soon at work that may cut into my language learning time a bit but hopefully nowhere near the extent that occurred last year around this time. There is also a remote chance that I may be able to implement some foreign language usage into work in the future though that depends on several other factors. Even just the possibility of that has me looking at my current study methods and progress with a critical eye, though. I've learned a lot of Korean in the nearly 3 years I've been studying it, but despite that I'm not sure I see it being far enough along that it would be useful for anything work-related. If I don't even consider my Korean up to that level yet, then Japanese and Spanish aren't even in the ballpark. That said, I think I could get Spanish to that level fairly quickly if I could find the motivation to focus on it more, since I've already got a rather decent base with that language (since I've been studying it on and off since high school).
1 person has voted this message useful

Ymer
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 4626 days ago

20 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Korean

Message 170 of 479
13 July 2012 at 3:49pm | IP Logged 
Please tell us more about using foreign language in your work.

Edited by Ymer on 13 July 2012 at 5:10pm

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5321 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 171 of 479
13 July 2012 at 6:36pm | IP Logged 
That was referencing a comment that the company president (of the small IT company for which I work) made during a recent company meeting. He is fluent in German and has dabbled in other languages and he knows that I have been studying Korean for a few years now and just recently started on Japanese. He made the comment that if I could think of a way that we could utilize our foreign languages in our business to acquire new clients, to let him know. I don't really expect all that much to come of it, though I wouldn't be averse to that necessarily, but even just thinking about the possibility got me pondering whether that would even be viable with my current level in various languages.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5321 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 172 of 479
15 July 2012 at 6:48pm | IP Logged 
한국어 (2012년 7월 8일- 2012년 7월 14일):

Hanja: 14

I completed the "6 stroke" section of A Guide To Korean Characters this past week. 만세! On to 7 stroke characters... Also two of the Hanja I learned this week were *not* in AGTKC (which means they aren't part of the 1800 school-taught Hanja). They were both characters I picked up from Korean TV. The first was 珠 (pearl, precious stone), from an old Star Golden Bell episode where Kara's Nicole was discussing the meaning of her Korean name 용주(龍珠), and the second was 癡 (idiotic, foolish) as used in the words 백치(白癡) and 백치미(白癡美).

Korean cards: 36

"Survival Korean Vocabulary" Sections Completed: None

Scorched Earth Reading: None

Extensive Reading: 5 pages of 노인과 바다 (no Twitter or ko.wikipedia.org visits this past week)

Active Practice: none

Song Memorization: Some progress on "Longer" by 치치. On that topic, if anyone is looking for an *uncut* stage performance of this song (i.e. a version that plays the entire song), the only one I've found in my file library that matches this is the Sept 4, 2011 stage from Inkigayo. Most of the other stage performances I've seen cut a sizable chunk from the first two passes of the chorus.

---

español (8/7/2012 - 14/7/2012): No updates. Though I did use an MP3 credit I had at Amazon for a Spanish song (since last I checked they have nothing useful in "Asian" music).

---

日本語 (2012年 7月 8日 - 2012年 7月 14日):

Pimsleur Japanese:
- Lessons 24-26 (0 cards)

I'm still recording any new words and phrasings I learn in a text file, however I haven't been adding those to Anki recently, thus the "0 cards" listed above.

I have only 4 lessons of Pimsleur Japanese 1 left now and can finish them this week if I make a serious effort at it. If not, it will stretch out to two more weeks.

Edited by Warp3 on 22 July 2012 at 6:38pm

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5435 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 173 of 479
19 July 2012 at 1:05am | IP Logged 
Karasia

Your favorite group is Kara, too, right? The Karasia concert finally came out. I'm still DLing it, but others have told me how awesome it is.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5321 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 174 of 479
19 July 2012 at 3:32pm | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
Karasia

Your favorite group is Kara, too, right? The Karasia concert finally came out. I'm still DLing it, but others have told me how awesome it is.

Kara is indeed my favorite Korean group overall (and they are fortunately acting as a bridge to Japanese music now as well).

Cool. I'd never come across that site before either, I'll have to bookmark that one.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4633 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 175 of 479
20 July 2012 at 7:53am | IP Logged 
Ah, wish I had the big bucks for Pimsleur Japanese, although it is probably past my level somewhat.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5321 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 176 of 479
20 July 2012 at 8:23pm | IP Logged 
kujichagulia wrote:
Ah, wish I had the big bucks for Pimsleur Japanese, although it is probably past my level somewhat.

The cost isn't quite as bad if you buy the downloadable versions like I've been doing with Japanese. Regardless, it is still a bit pricey compared to many other materials, though.

This discussion contains 479 messages over 60 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version