Joined 5316 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 193 of 479
07 October 2012 at 4:44pm | IP Logged 
한국어 (2012년 9월 30일- 2012년 10월 6일):

Hanja: 0
Wow...that's the first "0" week I've had in a long time. I knew I was a bit busy this week, but didn't realize I hadn't added *any* Hanja cards.

Korean cards: 12

"Survival Korean Vocabulary" Sections Completed: None

Scorched Earth Reading: None

Extensive Reading: 3 1/4 pages of 노인과 바다
I've finished "노인과 바다 / The Old Man and the Sea", but I haven't quite decided on the next book yet. If I continue with the small Sisa bilingual books, the most likely candidate is "톰 소여의 모험 / The Adventures of Tom Sawyer".

Listening: TTMIK 이야기 episodes 1 through 10 (1 pass of each)

Active Practice: none of note

Song Memorization:
Continuing to review 치치's Longer in my Lyrics SRS deck. I've gotten the lyrics down quite firmly now, but some of the lines in the rap are still too fast for me to keep up with at the moment. Due to the difference in recall after SRSing the lyrics, I'm very tempted to make this the new normal method for song memorization and feed in a few songs at a time (since the gaps get quite large in a short time, even if you use nothing higher than "Hard" for ratings).

---

日本語 (2012年 9月 30日 - 2012年 10月 6日):

I've not really done anything with Japanese this week, other than SRS reviews and a small amount of media immersion.

---

español (30/9/2012 - 6/10/2012):

I've not really done anything with Spanish this week, other than SRS reviews and a small amount of media immersion.
1 person has voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5430 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 194 of 479
08 October 2012 at 4:34am | IP Logged 
I've been wondering about your opinion on bilingual books. Do you think they're beneficial? I don't plan on getting any because of the cost of the bilingual books I've seen on HanBooks, but just wanted to know your opinion.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5316 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 195 of 479
08 October 2012 at 5:10am | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
I've been wondering about your opinion on bilingual books. Do you think they're beneficial? I don't plan on getting any because of the cost of the bilingual books I've seen on HanBooks, but just wanted to know your opinion.

While the cost for newer popular novels can be a bit pricey in bilingual form, the Sisa books are less than $8/ea on Hanbooks. That series has 100 total books last I checked. While Hanbooks doesn't list the whole series on their website, I'd be surprised if they couldn't source the rest of them easily.

I think they've been very useful, but mostly for the fact that I can read and understand the book completely with no additional resources. Because I don't need additional resources, I can read a bilingual book virtually anywhere since I only need the book itself. With a Korean-only book my choices would be to either just keep reading (even if I don't understand what is going on, which could lead me to lose interest in continuing) or do lookups using another resource (dictionary, computer, smartphone, etc.) which requires more time and something other than just the book.

Haksaeng
Korea, South
Joined 5979 days ago

166 posts - 250 votes 
Studies: Korean, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 196 of 479
08 October 2012 at 9:54am | IP Logged 
Hi, I hope it's OK if I butt in here...

I just read a translated book for the first time and while I enjoyed it, I don't think I'll do it again for a while. I read Charlotte's Web, and I felt it didn't give me a real Korean-reading experience, because the translation was too literal, and it was very much like reading English, but in Korean. Certain English figures of speech or common phrases were translated directly into Korean, so I think it could sound unnatural and I wasn't learning the way a Korean writer would have conveyed the same information or ideas.

I think for now I'll stick with real Korean books. Waiting in the wings, when I can handle it, I have Please Look After Mom in both English and Korean. In that case, it's originally a Korean book, so I don't mind using the English translation to confirm my understanding. But that book is still too hard for me to read for pleasure.

The problem is finding children's literature of high quality, or easy adult literature of substance. I don't know how to find children's classics. I do have a book of classic short stories for middle-schoolers, written by famous Korean authors, but it's only one book. I would like to find more like that.

http://www.kyobobook.co.kr/product/detailViewKor.laf?ejkGb=K OR&mallGb=KOR&barcode=9788991223394&orderClick=LAH&Kc=

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5316 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 197 of 479
09 October 2012 at 12:38am | IP Logged 
I completely agree. I would much rather read bilingual versions of books that are natively Korean (as I too question the translation choices at times), but the only one I really recall seeing is the one you mentioned (Please Look After Mom), which doesn't sound particularly interesting to me. The closest I've gotten to bilingually reading Korean books is reading the bilingual book Aekyung's Dream (written by a Korean-American) and reading the English and Korean versions of 소나기 separately.

However, your post just reminded me of a site I have bookmarked called Little Seouls which has Korean stuff for children. In fact they even have a category for Children's Books in Korean-Only (http://www.littleseouls.com/category_108/Childrens-Books-in- Korean-only.htm). That said, most of their selection looks a bit *too* simple for my level.

Edited by Warp3 on 09 October 2012 at 12:38am

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5316 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 198 of 479
14 October 2012 at 5:00pm | IP Logged 
한국어 (2012년 10월 7일- 2012년 10월 13일):

New Hanja Cards: 0

New Korean Cards: 0

Extensive Reading: 3.5 pages of 헝거 게임 (The Hunger Games)
I debated for quite a bit about which book to read and finally decided to read through the first page or so of a few books to see if that helped. The Hunger Games started off the most interesting and the Korean side seemed more simply written than with the other books, so that is the book I chose. It is notably longer than the short Sisa books I've been reading, but it seems like the story will be more interesting and the Korean level seems more within my grasp than many of the Sisa books have been. The first page of the book is a half-page due to formatting, thus the odd 3.5 page count this week.

Listening: TTMIK 이야기 episodes 11 through 20 (1 pass of each)

Active Practice: none of note

Song Memorization:
Continuing to review 치치's Longer in my Lyrics SRS deck. As noted last week, I need to add another song or two to my Lyrics deck and start learning them that way rather than how I've done previously.

---

日本語 (2012年 10月 7日 - 2012年 10月 13日):

I've not really done anything with Japanese this week, other than SRS reviews and a small amount of media immersion.

---

español (7/10/2012 - 13/10/2012):

I've not really done anything with Spanish this week, other than SRS reviews and a small amount of media immersion.

---

Overall, I'm rather disappointed at how little I accomplished this week. I did have a few things going on, but not enough that I didn't have time to at least SRS *something* new during the week. On the flip side, my review counts have gradually been dropping due to the lackluster past couple of weeks, which makes reviewing Anki seem like a bit less of a chore than normal.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5316 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 199 of 479
21 October 2012 at 3:42pm | IP Logged 
한국어 (2012년 10월 14일- 2012년 10월 20일):

New Hanja Cards: 6

New Korean Cards: 30
I've noticed that many of the new cards I've been adding lately are either grammar / sentence pattern cards or idiomatic phrases using words I already know (but whose meaning isn't always completely obvious from the words in that phrase). Some examples of the latter (phrases where I already knew all the words inside, but not the overall meaning):
말을 놓다 = to drop the honorifics (with sb), speak casually (with sb)
다름 아닌 ~ = none other than ~, nothing but ~, no more/less than ~

Extensive Reading: 2 pages of 헝거 게임 (The Hunger Games)

Listening: TTMIK 이야기 episodes 11 through 20 (1 pass of each)

Active Practice: Two sentences on a blog, but nothing else of note.

Song Memorization:
Continuing to review my Lyrics deck, which still contains only lyrics from 치치's "Longer". I downloaded the lyrics to all the songs from KARA's "Pandora" album, but I haven't SE read any nor added any to the Lyrics deck. I've been considering which song to add to my Lyrics deck next and "Pandora" is a likely candidate (especially since I can already produce the chorus at speed from just a handful of stage performances and listening to the MP3). However, I may just end up adding 2-3 songs to the Lyrics deck right off the bat since this method seems more conducive to learning multiple songs at once anyway (due to the rapidly increasing intervals once you start getting the lyrics right, even if you hit HARD every time). 4minute's 거울아 거울아 is also a likely candidate, since I've been wanting to learn that one for a while now (and already know large chunks of it), though I'd need to download and SE read the lyrics for it first. Another reason for 거울아 거울아 is that 4minute is one of my favorite Korean groups overall, yet I haven't memorized a single song of theirs yet. This is also true of Rainbow, so I may have to throw in one of their songs as well (since I've already SE read a couple of them).

---

日本語 (2012年 10月 14日 - 2012年 10月 20日):

---

español (14/10/2012 - 20/10/2012):

Haksaeng
Korea, South
Joined 5979 days ago

166 posts - 250 votes 
Studies: Korean, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 200 of 479
22 October 2012 at 12:51am | IP Logged 
Here is a way to order Korean books and there are multiple categories under Books & CDs, so you can specifically target children's or teens or dictionaries, etc. In the teens category there are lots of anthology/textbooks types of books that focus on specific topics. All the descriptions are in Korean and there's no option for browsing within the books.
http://english.gmarket.co.kr/challenge/neo_category/category .asp?readYn=Y&gdlc_cd=100000028

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 479 messages over 60 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version