1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 217 of 479
25 December 2012 at 3:09am | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
Source 1
Source 2

Thanks for the links, I'm sure they will come in very handy. :)

Unfortunately, both of those seem to be in the same situation as YesAsia currently, though. They have AOA's second single album, but the first one is either not listed (Gmarket) or is there but listed as out of stock (Kpopmart). Am I just missing some reason here why nobody has their first single album available for sale?
1 person has voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5434 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 218 of 479
25 December 2012 at 3:37pm | IP Logged 
I think all of these sites are just f**king with you now.

Leurre
Bilingual Pentaglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5210 days ago

219 posts - 372 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Korean, Haitian Creole, SpanishC2
Studies: Japanese

Message 219 of 479
25 December 2012 at 4:28pm | IP Logged 
Legal
Accessible

Choose one

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5320 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 220 of 479
25 December 2012 at 4:44pm | IP Logged 
Actually the day I posted this I even tried to fail over to using some of the old download sites I'd used before starting to buy through iTunes and both sites I frequented are dead now. I'm sure I could find both of these single albums in torrent form in minutes with a simple Google search, but I'm trying to avoid doing that, especially for artists I actually like and thus want to support by buying their releases. I may just have to grab them however I can for now, though, and buy the real deal later once that is actually viable. {shrug} Regardless I'm still glad I posted this as it brought a couple other sources to my attention.

While I'm on the topic, another thing I've found baffling at iTunes is that twice I've come across Korean songs that were available for purchase as music videos, but not as audio downloads!? That's even more confusing than not having it available at all.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5320 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 221 of 479
30 December 2012 at 5:50pm | IP Logged 
한국어 (2012년 12월 23일- 2012년 12월 29일):

New Hanja Cards: 5

New Korean Cards: 18

"Survival Korean Vocabulary" Sections Completed: None

Scorched Earth Reading: None

Extensive Reading: None

Listening: TTMIK 이야기 episodes 33 and 34 (2 passes of each)

Active Practice: nothing of note

Song Memorization: nothing of note

---

日本語 (2012年 12月 23日 - 2012年 12月 29日):

I've not really done anything with Japanese this week, other than SRS reviews and a small amount of media immersion.

---

español (23/12/2012 - 29/12/2012):

I've not really done anything with Spanish this week, other than SRS reviews and a small amount of media immersion.

---

This week turned out a bit differently than I expected. I had hoped to make a final surge to the finish line for the TAC2012, but it didn't quite happen that way. I was at home 3 of the 5 weekdays this week, however 1 was Christmas (a good portion of which I spent at my sister's house) and the other 2 (Thursday and Friday) I was out of work sick (and still ended up doing quite a few work tasks from home anyway).

Edited by Warp3 on 30 December 2012 at 5:51pm

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5320 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 222 of 479
30 December 2012 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
Since there are only two days left in December (i.e. a fraction of a week), I'm calling my TAC2012 run complete. As such, it's now time to compare my goals to my results.

TAC 2012 Summary
(NOTE: The end result "per week" values are calculated based on 53 weeks since there are roughly 52 weeks in a year and I included the last full week of December for both 2011 and 2012 in the time period for this challenge.)

Goal: Complete the 6000 Essential Vocabulary list
Revised Goal: Add 2000 new SRS facts (38.5/week) regardless of whether they are in the KEV6000 list or not (since the original goal was too hard to quantify)
End result: 1571 new SRS facts (29.6/week) for a total of 4327

I didn't hit my stated goal, but did add a lot of new words, phrases, and grammar forms this year, so overall I'm fine with the result. Without stated targets, I doubt I would have hit even close to this many new cards.

Goal: Reach at least 600 total Hanja (currently at 224, so this goal should be easily reachable)(later calculated that 7.23/week would reach this goal)
End Result: 429 new Hanja (8.09/week) for a total of 653

If I hadn't bumped my target to 14/week mid-year, I might not have quite reached my original 7.23/week goal (due to weeks where I didn't meet my goals), but regardless I hit the original target and then some.

Goal: Greatly increase my speaking practice (there are some native speakers in the area, too, so I need to make use of that)
End Result: Fail

I'll give myself partial credit for doing song memorization (since that requires reciting the songs aloud) and some self-talk. However, none of that was with a native speaker, which was part of the point of this goal. Overall I feel I failed at this goal.

Goal: Greatly increase my reading (whether via bilingual text or Korean-only, as long as I read a lot more)
End Result: Pass

I increased my reading quite a bit throughout this year, so I'm happy with my results on this one. I still need to read more, but that will likely always be true.

Goal: Continue to increase my writing (which I'm already working on via Twitter and via some chatting with The Real CZ)
End Result: Fail

I worked on this one some, but far less than I should have. Overall, I'm claiming a fail for this goal.

Goal: Greatly increase my listening skills (via the above speaking practice and by watching a greater percentage of *unsubbed* Korean media)
End Result: Pass

The methods I used to improve my listening skills were different than stated (it was mostly through song memorization and 이야기 podcasts) but I did notice quite an improvement in my listening skills over the year. I still need to start speaking with natives and watching far more unsubbed video, but overall, I'm content with the results for this goal.

---

So what are my plans for language learning in 2013? I'm not really sure yet. I do know I want to refocus my Korean studies on grammar rather than vocabulary for a bit. I also want to wean myself off of watching quite so many shows in subtitled form (which I shouldn't have let happen to start with). I also desperately need to start actively using Korean more.

As for my other two languages, I'd like to reignite both of them, but I'll just have to see how that goes. Artificial motivation for either language won't likely get me very far, so I need to find a source of real motivation to spend more time with Spanish and Japanese.

Edited by Warp3 on 30 December 2012 at 6:06pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4653 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 223 of 479
30 December 2012 at 6:46pm | IP Logged 
Congrats on your achievements! 2000 new SRS cards, 1/4 of them Hanja nonetheless, are something to proud of :)

I promise you that you will rarely miss subtitles once you get used to watching without them. They are actually quite distracting and of course can never translate so many subtleties of the original.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5320 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 224 of 479
30 December 2012 at 9:58pm | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:
Congrats on your achievements! 2000 new SRS cards, 1/4 of them Hanja nonetheless, are something to proud of :)

Thanks. I didn't realize it until you posted that, but I did add exactly 2000 cards between those two decks. Odd how it landed on that exact number.

Quote:
I promise you that you will rarely miss subtitles once you get used to watching without them. They are actually quite distracting and of course can never translate so many subtleties of the original.

I've already found that out even with shows I still watch subbed. I've noticed myself automatically paying more attention to the audio track (or on-screen Korean captions) over time and I'll find myself chiming in with "that's not what he/she said" when I notice that the English translation doesn't quite match up (or in some cases is way off with some fan subs) what was actually said in the show.

Another thing I've noticed is that some repeating patterns that you would normally be apt to notice aren't as obvious with subtitles on as different translators often choose different phrasings so they don't match in English making the link less obvious. If you are watching one series subbed by the same set of translators it usually works out ok (since they tend to keep similar phrasing), but otherwise you may not even catch the link between two people using the exact same word or phrase in varying contexts. One prime example of this is 능력자 (the term they often use to describe 김종국 on Running Man). I've seen this translated a host of ways depending on which translation team worked on it and none really *quite* match the real meaning of the word since there isn't really a word in English that directly maps to that word. In fact, iSubs (which is who has translated the bulk of the series) always translates it as "Commander" which is quite a ways off from the literal meaning. (The literal meaning is "someone who is competent, someone who is capable".)

This discussion contains 479 messages over 60 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version