Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4413 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 225 of 479
31 December 2012 at 1:44am | IP Logged 
Really good summary! It seems you've made quite the progress here. I've been following
your log for some time and the more time goes by, the more I want to regain that
motivation in Korean you have.

Did you find that learning Hanja helped you a lot in your improvment? I've gotten around
it a few times but never succeeded in sticking with it...

1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5316 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 226 of 479
31 December 2012 at 2:27am | IP Logged 
I have found that Hanja is useful, but it can be difficult to stay motivated to learn it at times since it isn't used all that heavily in modern Korean life / media.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5316 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 227 of 479
06 January 2013 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 
한국어 (2012년 12월 30일- 2013년 1월 5일):

New Hanja Cards: 6

New Korean Cards: 9

"Survival Korean Vocabulary" Sections Completed: None

Scorched Earth Reading: None

Extensive Reading:
- 헝거 게임 / The Hunger Games (3 pages)

Listening: TTMIK 이야기 episodes 33 and 34 (3 passes of each)

Active Practice: Some chatting with CZ in Korean.

Song Memorization: nothing of note

---

I've dropped the Japanese and Spanish sections for now as they contained nothing but the same short summary line every week. If/when I start working on one again, I'll add that language's section back.

I intended to do more with reading this week, but that didn't really happen. I did finally get some active practice in this week, but I need to do more of that.

---

My goals for 2013:

I don't really have an official list of goals like I did for the TAC last year, but I do have some general goals:

1) Use Korean more.
There are more complex ways I could word this, but they would all still boil down to simply using the language more. Whether through reading, writing, listening or speaking, I simply need more exposure to the language in general. Writing and speaking (the active skills) are the ones that need the most work.

2) Use English less.
This mostly refers to dropping the use of subtitles. Some shows I will continue to watch subtitled due to others that watch those shows with me. However, I need to start watching more video on my own in unsubbed form. This can also apply to phasing in more monolingual reading. I don't necessarily want to drop the bilingual reading I do, but I need to do more monolingual reading as well.

3) Focus more on grammar.
2012 was heavily focused on vocabulary, so I need to put some attention toward grammar again. While reading Evita's log throughout the year, it made me realize that I need to go through the various TTMIK lessons (not just the IYAGI podcasts, like I've been doing) as they do cover some content which still would be beneficial to me at this point in my studies. I had been going through the TTMIK lessons in the past, but that was mostly for the benefit of the other person that was listening to the lessons (who is at a lower level in Korean than I am) and we ended up stopping at Level 2 Lesson 1, which was before it really started to get to the lessons that would be more useful to me.

Edited by Warp3 on 06 January 2013 at 4:16pm

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6401 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 228 of 479
06 January 2013 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
I see you have a tag for TAC. Are you doing TAC2013? Team or individual? Can you let me know on the main sign-up thread if you are? I'm trying to update the list.

Edited by Brun Ugle on 06 January 2013 at 4:55pm

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5316 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 229 of 479
06 January 2013 at 6:45pm | IP Logged 
No, I've opted out of doing TAC for 2013. That tag is there from the 2012 Team TAC I participated in.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5316 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 230 of 479
14 January 2013 at 12:49am | IP Logged 
한국어 (2013년 1월 6일- 2013년 1월 12일):

New Hanja Cards: 5

New Korean Cards: 0

"Survival Korean Vocabulary" Sections Completed: None

Scorched Earth Reading: None

Extensive Reading: A few visits to Twitter, but not much beyond that.

Listening: TTMIK 이야기 episodes 35 and 36 (5 passes of each)

Active Practice: None

Song Memorization: nothing of note

---

日本語 (2013年 1月 6日 - 2013年 1月 12日):

I enabled the last four cards in the Kana deck I've been using. All 4 of those Kana are listed as obsolete, but I figured I may as well learn them anyway. Otherwise, not much else of note with Japanese this past week.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5316 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 231 of 479
20 January 2013 at 5:21pm | IP Logged 
한국어 (2013년 1월 13일 - 2013년 1월 19일):

New Hanja Cards: 4

Listening: TTMIK 이야기 episodes 37 and 38 (5 passes of each)

---

español (13/1/2013 - 19/1/2013):

I finally got to the point in my Korean music show backlog to watch Music Bank in Chile. There was quite a bit of Spanish in that episode. Several performers sang covers of Spanish music, they had a Spanish MC in addition to the 3 Korean MCs, and several groups used Spanish while speaking to the crowd. The part I found interesting, though, is that rather than try to grasp the Spanish audio (or even the Spanish captions where present), my mind seemed to prefer looking down and reading the on-screen Korean translations instead. I knew my Korean had surpassed my Spanish quite a while ago, but it was interesting to see this in practice. In some ways it made me disappointed as I've been working with Spanish for a much longer time period (on-and-off since high school), yet my focus on Korean for the last 3.5 years has blown by any progress I ever made with Spanish.

---

I switched to Anki 2 late this past week. There are some things I do like better about it, but there are also several annoyances compared to Anki 1.2. Making the jump also caused a notable increase in my reviews for a day or two afterward since Anki 2 won't let you disable the per-day scheduling like 1.2 would let you do. I still think per-day scheduling is pointless and it is annoying because it only works for two specific study styles (i.e. those that review once per day and review everything or those that review a set amount at a time but not always everything that is waiting for them). If you preferred to study multiple times per day *and* catch up all waiting cards at those times, this mode is useless to you and is now mandatory. In my opinion this is short-sighted and there is no valid reason for removing functions like this that had made Anki more flexible to use for various study styles. It is interesting how most of the complaints about Anki 2 on their forums are about features that were removed not because of technical reasons or because of user feedback, but because "the creators don't use Anki that way so apparently they don't think anyone else should either". On a positive note, I was leery about the new "learning cycles" in Anki 2 but after using them, I've found that I rather like that feature.

I've been debating between continuing my weekly update posts like this and dropping them entirely and just updating my log when I feel like it. The main reason I considered dropping them was due to the fact that many of the sections keep coming up with "No progress" as a result, however those sections may or may not even apply to this year's goals. While it can be motivating to try to avoid having to put "None" in a section, it can also be discouraging when it keeps happening week after week. So instead as a compromise, I've decided to continue doing my weekly log updates, but only include sections where I've made progress that week. If I don't do much of note in a language, then that language simply isn't listed that week. If I don't do any extensive reading of note in a given week, then there will be no "extensive reading" section that week.

Edited by Warp3 on 20 January 2013 at 5:28pm

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5316 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 232 of 479
27 January 2013 at 4:23pm | IP Logged 
한국어 (2013년 1월 20일 - 2013년 1월 26일):

Extensive Reading: 와라! 편의점 (4 pages)

Listening: TTMIK 이야기 episodes 39 and 40 (5 passes of each)

---

I've decided I'm going to separate my "Bilingual Reading" out into its own category rather than leaving it under "Extensive Reading" (which isn't technically accurate since the English side is essentially an instant lookup reference). Extensive Reading will now only apply to actual L2-only reading material. I didn't actually do any bilingual reading this week, but if I did, it would have appeared in its own category.

I've had several Korean webcomics bookmarked for a while now and decided to actually start in on one this week. The one I am reading is called 와라! 편의점 and is found on Naver's 만화 page: http://comic.naver.com/webtoon/detail.nhn?titleId=26316&seq= 1&weekday= While there have already been a few words I haven't known, they haven't been enough to prevent me from getting the gist of the comic, so I'm going to keep reading without lookups (i.e. true extensive reading) for now on this comic.

This discussion contains 479 messages over 60 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version