The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5408 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 17 of 479
27 October 2011 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
I guess it's easier for me to get motivated to watch something raw. "Oh, Han Ye Seul is in it? I gotta go watch it now, screw waiting for subs!"
1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5294 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 18 of 479
11 November 2011 at 3:09pm | IP Logged 
Warp3 wrote:
I listen to songs that I've heard hundreds of times and my brain will suddenly extract a whole phrase (that I never realized was in the song) and the whole thing just clicks (I'm particularly happy when it is from a song where I've never actually seen the lyrics to that song, like a non-performed song from an album).

There is one annoying little downside to this, though. A few times it has caused me to memorize the wrong lyrics to a song then I struggle later to fix it. For example, in the song Magic by Secret, I still popup with 어머 어머 하루 놀란 걸 rather than 어머 어머 하고 놀란 걸, since I originally memorized it based on what I thought I heard then later realized that was incorrect. (This song played on my MP3 player on the way to work today, which is what prompted me to think of this.)

However, I've also noticed that occasionally when I simply listen to a song to which I normally sing along that I will sometimes note a word here and there that I realize I've been singing incorrectly. So at least I'm learning to correct myself from audio only input as well as via the written form. (Often the corrected version makes more sense than what I originally heard as well...ㅋㅋㅋ)

GoldFibre
Diglot
Kuwait
koreaninkuwait.com
Joined 5738 days ago

467 posts - 472 votes 
Speaks: English*, Korean

Message 19 of 479
13 November 2011 at 1:13pm | IP Logged 
I used to feel like an idiot when I couldn't understand Korean lyrics 100%, and then one day I realized I still can't understand the lyrics to many English songs either!

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5294 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 20 of 479
13 November 2011 at 3:57pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, that is very true. I never quite grasped the lyrics of Song 2 by Blur until I saw FT Island perform a cover it on SBS Chocolate (since that show subtitles any songs that are performed).

When did you start coming to HTLAL again? I need to start reading my list of bookmarked blogs again. I haven't been to yours in probably a couple months now. {sigh}

GoldFibre
Diglot
Kuwait
koreaninkuwait.com
Joined 5738 days ago

467 posts - 472 votes 
Speaks: English*, Korean

Message 21 of 479
14 November 2011 at 7:47am | IP Logged 
I come and look around once in a blue moon. I know a couple of people that comment on my blog have learning logs here, so I mainly just check out what they have been up to.

Glad to see you are still studying!

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5294 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 22 of 479
18 November 2011 at 5:43pm | IP Logged 
I am not learning Japanese (yet), but I have started learning the Kana. I learned Russian Cyrillic a few months ago (and still review it with Anki) with no immediate plan to learn Russian, so I figured why not. Also more and more Korean celebrities have been tweeting in Japanese (heavily using Kana), so at least I can sound out those tweets once I work my way through this.

Today, I learned あえいおう and アエイオウ (the 5 base vowels). I'm using TheJapanesePage.com to learn the characters (since it explains them fairly well and has them in a logical learning order) then I'm using the Extended Kana deck in Anki to review them. I chose that particular deck as it was the only one I could find that included stroke order images for each character. However, I've removed everything but the cards that are using the Hiragana and Katakana models since I only care about the character to pronunciation/romaji direction at the moment. (If I need the others later, I can always regenerate them since they are just the same base facts with different card models applied.) I then suspended the entire deck and only unsuspended the characters I've already learned on TJP. (NOTE: This deck also has sound, which is nice.)

I've seen several recommendations for starting with Hiragana (since it is used more heavily in Japanese) and also some for starting with Katakana (since you can use it for reading English loan words without any existing Japanese word knowledge). So I figured I would just parallel them and start with both.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5294 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 23 of 479
23 December 2011 at 8:11pm | IP Logged 
Hmm...I guess I should post here more often...ㅋㅋㅋ

Anyway, I learned the last of the base Kana today (i.e., the 48 basic Hiragana and 48 basic Katakana), now I just need to get lots of review while learning the extended stuff (most of which looks fairly simple from my brief skim of it).

On that note: For languages where I've learned the script but not any of the language yet (and thus get no practice), I wish I could figure out a better way to review than simply using Anki character decks to review. For Cyrillic and Katakana, I could probably seek out and add several loan words to my SRS decks and review those until they stick, but that won't really help with Hiragana since loan words don't typically use that set. I could learn some basic words in each language, but then that contradicts my desire to avoid starting either of those languages yet (so I can keep a heavier focus on Korean for now).

I've also been posting on Twitter (한국어로) somewhat regularly again, though most of my Tweets have simply been commenting on my progress with learning the Japanese Kana (or nagging CZ about posting in English so much...ㅋㅋㅋ). I have been reading Twitter regularly as well and have been continuing to work through reading/memorizing song lyrics.

I'm happy to see 청충불패 back on the air again, though I've only seen the first episode so far so we'll see how it plays out compared to season one. The start of the first episode was eerily similar to the start of episode 1 of 영웅호걸, though, which I found rather odd.

Speaking of TV shows, I was disappointed to see Secret disappear from the Saturday Freedom lineup as I'd gotten rather interested in that show (and the show that replaced it doesn't sound particularly interesting). {sigh}

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5294 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 24 of 479
23 December 2011 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
A friend of mine recently returned from overseas and since his flight went through Seoul and he knew I've been studying Korean he picked me up a couple things there. The one that interested me the most was an magazine with a Korean Air logo on it. The best part? All the articles inside (some of which look like they will be quite interesting to read) are bilingual (Korean + English) and the customs/immigration info sections in the back are actually in 4 languages (Korean, English, Chinese and Japanese).

This discussion contains 479 messages over 60 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version