Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 289 of 479
10 November 2013 at 2:42pm | IP Logged 
한국어 (2013년 11월 3일 - 2013년 11월 9일):

New Hanja Cards: 10
(Total = 775)

New Korean Cards: 8
Korean Cards Deleted: 1 (as 2 of the above cards replaced an earlier card that was
inaccurate)

Scorched Earth Reading:
- 5dolls - 사랑한다 안한다 (2 cards)
(NOTE: I didn't actually download and read the lyrics like I've done for most songs
previously. Instead, I read the lyrics while watching the stage performances and then
took screenshots of the lines containing the two words I didn't know from that song,
which were 소박하다 (to be simple, unsophisticated) and 아련하다 (to be dim, faint,
obscure, hazy), and added them to Anki.)

Extensive Reading:
- 와라!편의점 (read daily)
- Twitter (a few visits each week)

Active Practice: One single word Twitter post, but it's a bit of a stretch to count that.

I think I'm going to need to slow down a bit on Hanja as reviews are getting slightly more
annoying now that I've been adding them at a decent pace. I'll likely keep climbing until I
hit 800 total (since I'm so close to that number already) then stop adding them for a bit.

---

español (3/11/2013 - 9/11/2013):

Pimsleur:
- Lecciónes 18-22

Bilingual reading:
- XKCD en español (visited daily, but only read when it updates)
- Foxtrot en español (read daily)
- Dilbert en español (read daily)
- Calvin and Hobbes en español (read daily)

I've ripped the Michel Thomas CDs to MP3. Now I just have to decide when to start them.
Since the course is fairly short overall (about 8 hrs, IIRC; not including the extra vocab
CDs) I'd like to go through it fairly quickly rather than stretching it out. One thought I had
was to run through Michel Thomas after finishing my Pimsleur Spanish I (1-30) review
before heading into the review pass of Pimsleur Spanish II (31-60).

I'm finally getting a couple Spanish songs stuck in my head lately. Hopefully that paired
with daily reading in Spanish will help me stick with the language this time. I'm almost
positive that lack of media immersion was my primary reason for losing interest on
previous attempts, but I was also afraid to delve to deeply into Spanish media and risk
my Korean immersion. Now I feel that is less of a problem, so it's time to start feeding
Spanish media into the input stream.
1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5295 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 290 of 479
17 November 2013 at 5:30pm | IP Logged 
한국어 (2013년 11월 10일 - 2013년 11월 16일):

New Hanja Cards: 10
(Total = 785)

New Korean Cards: 2

Extensive Reading:
- 와라!편의점 (read daily)

---

español (10/11/2013 - 16/11/2013):

Pimsleur:
- Lecciónes 23-26

Bilingual reading:

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5295 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 291 of 479
24 November 2013 at 5:21pm | IP Logged 
한국어 (2013년 11월 17일 - 2013년 11월 23일):

New Hanja Cards: 5
(Total = 790)

New Korean Cards: 6

Extensive Reading:
- 와라!편의점 (read daily) (read the 300th episode this week)

---

español (17/11/2013 - 23/11/2013):

Pimsleur:
- Lecciónes 27-30

Bilingual reading:

Now that I'm done with my review pass of Pimsleur Spanish I (which re-taught me more
than I expected for a review pass), I need to figure out the logistics of how to do the 8 hrs
of the Michel Thomas Spanish Foundation course next. As another thread recently
reminded me, it has no built-in pauses which would make it trickier for commute use than
Pimsleur, so I may have to do it a different time of day instead.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5295 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 292 of 479
01 December 2013 at 1:26pm | IP Logged 
한국어 (2013년 11월 24일 - 2013년 11월 30일):

New Hanja Cards: 5
(Total = 795)

Extensive Reading:
- 와라!편의점 (read daily)

Active Practice:
- Half a post on Twitter, but that's about it.

I've been thinking a lot about my Korean Anki decks lately. While it is the most
challenging deck to review (and thus takes the most time), I can't really see dropping the
Hanja deck, since I can't really think of a better way to learn them outside of an SRS.
Perhaps if I were to learn them via another language instead then I could, but I'm not
studying Japanese or Chinese at the moment and Korean doesn't use them heavily
enough to learn them without some induced exposure.

The Korean deck however, I've been seriously reconsidering. In one of the posts I saw
here recently someone mentioned that they delete any Anki cards with a due date
beyond a certain time period (it was something like 2 months I believe). I've actually
started pondering something similar lately and wonder how it would affect review counts.
If I've reliably gotten a card up to a certain time period like that (I may opt for something
a bit longer than 2 months), but still haven't learned it well enough, then perhaps I don't
really need that word at the moment. The other option I've been considering is dropping
the Korean deck altogether (which I know CZ would wholeheartedly recommend) leaving
my Hanja deck and Song Lyrics deck as the only remaining "Korean" decks (and the Song
Lyrics deck is fairly small, so it usually only has about 1-2 cards due on days that any
are due at all). Another option would be to extract the grammar forms from the deck and
review those, but drop any vocab-only review. Grammar somehow seems more conducive
to this format anyway.

---

español (24/11/2013 - 30/11/2013):

Michel Thomas Foundation:
- Tracks 1-42 (out of 83 tracks total)

Bilingual reading:

I'm rather surprised at how much progress I made on Michel Thomas Foundation (over
half of the course complete) in one week, especially since I did not do any on Thursday
(Thanksgiving Day). I'm somewhat mixed on how I feel about it compared to Pimsleur. It
does teach you lots of cognate conversion (which ramps up your usable vocabulary
quickly), basic grammar, stringing together long sentences, etc. On the other hand, if you
aren't messing up the aspects for which he is taking the time to correct the students
constantly (like syllable stress), it feels like there is a lot of time being wasted. That
said, if I were a true beginner, I'm sure I would be far more challenged as this would be
much harder material for someone new to the language.

Edited by Warp3 on 01 December 2013 at 1:39pm

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4628 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 293 of 479
01 December 2013 at 1:55pm | IP Logged 
Like CZ, I stopped reviewing my Korean Anki decks. Unlike the time when I was studying for TOPIK, nowadays I don't need to learn any specific set of words and it makes more sense to learn new vocabulary through exposure and thus understand their usage much better. If you replaced Anki reviews with reading, I wonder if that wouldn't be more beneficial at your level. If you decide to keep Anki, the strategy of deleting (or at least suspending) words you know well enough sounds like it might make the whole thing more efficient.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5295 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 294 of 479
02 December 2013 at 1:09am | IP Logged 
I often think about the "what if I replaced Anki with x" scenario, but then I realize how
little time I actually spend doing Anki reviews now and I'm not sure how much I could fit
into that time window. For example, my total review time today (for all decks) was only
11 minutes. The Korean deck was 6 minutes of that (63 cards), with Hanja not far
behind at 4 minutes (47 cards). The other minute was spread between two smaller
decks that totaled 3 cards due today (1 song lyric card and 2 Cyrillic cards).

I'm honestly not sure what I could do in those 6 minutes that would be more useful than
SRS review. I guess I could read through my Twitter feed during that time instead (which
would give me more consistent Twitter reading time than I get now).

One thing I've been meaning to do is clock myself for a few days in a row reading 와라!편
의점 to gauge my reading speed better. That way I have some comparison point (x SRS
card reviews = y pages of 와라!편의점) to better evaluate my options.

Then again, reviewing cards in the SRS always seems to feel like it takes longer than it
actually does. Maybe that points to the real problem here (i.e. that it isn't interesting to
review them). If that is the case, then removing old cards might just help after all
(especially those cards I can get to fairly long intervals then always seem to fail again
later). Of course, the more I type on this post, the more I'm realizing that maybe this is
all pointing to the fact that I desperately need to prune the deck like AJATT so often
recommends. I've not really been following that "if a card bugs you, toss it" advice (like
those cards noted above that never seem to go beyond certain length intervals). In
retrospect, there are cards in my deck that kinda do bug me, but I can't seem to convince
myself to kill them off.

In fact, I have a new idea. Rather than basing the "reaping" on due intervals, maybe they
should be based on the date I entered them. If I created a card say 3 years ago, then
there are only really two options. Either I know the card well enough now (and thus it has
a huge interval now) or I can't quite seem to get the card and it keeps coming back.
Either way, I'm not sure I really need it now. (The "3 years" was just an example, not a
proposed cut-off date. I would likely set the cut-off date much shorter than 3 years.)

All that said, I doubt I will actually delete these cards, but rather suspend them. I've
found myself using my SRS as a "dictionary look-up" at times and don't want to lose that
functionality among my older cards.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5295 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 295 of 479
02 December 2013 at 4:26am | IP Logged 
Out of curiosity I decided to see how many of the cards from my Korean deck are "old"
cards and the results were somewhat surprising. If I restricted my reviews to cards
added this year, it would drop the deck total from 4,506 cards to only 183 cards!

The full year-by-year breakdown is:
2009: 35
2010: 1,227
2011: 1,529
2012: 1,532
2013: 183
TOTAL: 4,506

The 2009 cards start in December which explains why that year's total was so small.
2012 probably wouldn't have been even close to that size had I not been doing the TAC
that year and made adding new vocabulary one of the challenges (which in turn made it
the highest year on the list).

I'm really surprised at how few cards I added this year, though. If I add no more cards for
the month of December, then that would come in at about 0.5 card per day average for
this year!

Doing the same annual breakdown for the Hanja deck shows just how much my TAC 2012
goals affected my Hanja learning process:
2009: 0
2010: 130
2011: 104
2012: 419
2013: 147
TOTAL: 800

Over half of my current Hanja cards were added during TAC 2012!

EDIT: If you are wondering why my Hanja total is 800 (not 795 like the post above notes),
I added 5 Hanja cards this evening (which will appear on next week's update post).

Edited by Warp3 on 02 December 2013 at 4:32am

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6312 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 296 of 479
02 December 2013 at 12:33pm | IP Logged 
Wow, 4200 cards in three years is really impressive! I had forgotten how many cards you used to add. But as for the reviews, 6 minutes a day is really nothing. Then again, judging by how few words you've added this year, maybe there's no need to hang onto Anki after all. Your idea about using the deck as a dictionary has entered my mind as well and it's one of the reasons I never delete cards. (The other one obviously being because I keep sharing my deck on the website and another reason being that I like knowing how many Korean words I know.)

I think I will adopt a similar approach to Hanja as you have. This year was sort of an experimental year and I've realized that the Chinese characters won't stick in my head unless I put them into Anki. I haven't figured out how to organize the cards yet though. I'm thinking the character itself on the front side and the reading and the English meaning on the back side. Maybe put some example words as well? I don't know.

This discussion contains 479 messages over 60 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version