The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5409 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 25 of 479
24 December 2011 at 8:11pm | IP Logged 
Speaking of magazines, that reminds me of when Girl's Day appeared in the Maxim magazine. A couple of guys I know from Tiara Diadem got the magazine and I was mad jealous haha.
1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5295 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 26 of 479
25 December 2011 at 6:47am | IP Logged 
I'd love to have ready access to the Korean versions of magazines like that (I assume you meant that was in the South Korean version of Maxim, not the US version), but the only place I've seen Korean magazine subscriptions was Hanbooks and they were insanely expensive.

---

We had our family Christmas gathering this evening (at my sister's house) and two of my gifts were language-related. One was Sistar's "So Cool" album (which, like most K-pop albums now, is *way* oversized) and the other was the Disney/Pixar Ultimate Collection (11-disc Korean DVD set). Most of those movies I've already seen in English (and I've actually watched "The Incredibles" in both English and Korean), but 4 of them are new to me altogether.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5409 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 27 of 479
25 December 2011 at 7:06am | IP Logged 
Yeah, it was the Korean version of Maxim. Korea's way too conservative to have photoshoots of idols like the ones you'd see in the US Maxim lol.

Yeah, Kpop albums are getting too big, and I think T-ara's are the worst. Yeah, having a huge album is nice for the pictures, but when trying to store them, it's a pain haha.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5295 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 28 of 479
25 December 2011 at 7:42am | IP Logged 
Based on the albums I have so far, I'd have to agree that T-ara's albums are among the biggest offenders. Their "Temptastic" album was not only huge, it was hard cover as well (which would actually be a good thing given a reasonably sized profile). Now that I think about it: out of all the K-pop albums I own, I have a grand total of *1* that is a standard CD jewel case (Kara's "The First Bloooming" album). (Honorable mention goes to IU's "Growing Up" album, which isn't a jewel case but is at least the right size, and to 소녀시대's "Run Devil Run", which uses a standard DVD case.)

Edited by Warp3 on 25 December 2011 at 7:49am

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5295 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 29 of 479
26 December 2011 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
I learned about the sound shifts made by the dakuten (は>ば) and handakuten (は>ぱ) today and turned on the associated 51 facts in my Anki deck. (I was confused why it was 51, not 50, until I found the ヴ card.) The remaining 100 facts in this downloaded deck are either tagged as "obsolete" (4 facts) or are "Kana + small vowel cards" whose pronunciation is quite obvious once you learn how they work in general, so I may simply leave those 100 facts disabled (which still leaves me with 143 total facts to review in that deck).

As noted previously in this thread, I'm going to have to figure out some way to practice my Cyrillic and Kana characters with actual words to help remember them better. After thinking about it more, I may be able to get enough words for hiragana practice simply by using words that have been accepted into English lexicon (tsunami, ninja, samurai, sushi, etc.) plus brand names (Subaru, Kawasaki, Toyota, etc.) plus any words I've already run across despite not learning Japanese yet (masu, desu (both of which appear to be sentence endings), kawaii, tadoku, Katakana, Hiragana, etc.). If I run out before covering all the hiragana, I can try learning a few simple Japanese words and/or greetings to fill out the rest. Hopefully I can cover Katakana and Cyrillic with loan words, though.

Something else that CZ brought up on Twitter is when do I start learning Japanese readings for 漢字 rather than just the Korean readings. Eventually, I'll have to do so to learn Japanese properly, but I don't see the point in taking on the extra effort at this point. I also wonder if already knowing the 한자 readings of a couple hundred of them will interfere when I start trying to learn their Japanese readings. Had I already been learning Japanese when I started Korean (or at least planned to start it sooner) then I would have gone straight to learning them with Japanese readings instead, but that isn't the case, so I linked them to Korean instead. That said, many of the methods out there involve learning the character's meaning first, then the reading later (e.g., Remembering the Kanji), so maybe this isn't a bad plan after all since I should have the meanings of quite a number of them in my head before starting on Japanese. Plus many already have multiple readings in Japanese anyway, so what's one more reading for each character...ㅋㅋㅋ In addition, if I ever decide to dive into Mandarin, I'll need yet another set of readings for each character, anyway. Regardless, it is pretty much moot now since I'm already a ways into them, so I'm going to keep learning them as 한자 until I see a good reason to do otherwise.

Warp3 wrote:
Based on the albums I have so far, I'd have to agree that T-ara's albums are among the biggest offenders. Their "Temptastic" album was not only huge, it was hard cover as well (which would actually be a good thing given a reasonably sized profile).

Correction. I compared the "Sistar - So Cool" album to "T-ara - Temptastic" yesterday and the Sistar album is slightly *larger* in both dimensions (the thickness is about the same)!

Edited by Warp3 on 26 December 2011 at 6:33pm

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5295 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 30 of 479
28 December 2011 at 9:02pm | IP Logged 
I posted my Korean TAC 2012 goals in the Team TAC East Asian thread, so now I'm going to repeat them here for reference.

Goals:
- Complete the 6000 Essential Vocabulary list (I made it partway through then kind of stalled, though I have learned a ton of words that *aren't* on the 6000 essential list during this time)
- Reach at least 600 total Hanja (currently at 224, so this goal should be easily reachable)
- Greatly increase my speaking practice (there are some native speakers in the area, too, so I need to make use of that)
- Greatly increase my reading (whether via bilingual text or Korean-only, as long as I read a lot more)
- Continue to increase my writing (which I'm already working on via Twitter and via some chatting with The Real CZ)
- Greatly increase my listening skills (via the above speaking practice and by watching a greater percentage of *unsubbed* Korean media)

----

After posting that earlier today, I ran the numbers on the Hanja characters and I will need to learn an average of 7.23/week to accomplish that goal. I obviously need to shoot for a higher target than that, though, so I can compensate for weeks in which that doesn't happen. I'll either try to add 2-3 every day (which is well over the 1.03/day that I need or just shoot for say 10-15/week regardless of when they happen during the week. By overshooting like this, I won't feel the need to have to play catch up if I miss a day/week and thus sap my motivation. However, I need to make sure I don't turn it into an excuse to "miss a day/week" here and there simply because I can. In fact, I originally considered shooting for a total of 900 instead (i.e. half of the school taught Hanja), so I really wouldn't mind if I "accidentally" reached that goal instead of the 600 character goal. I went ahead and added 5 today, so I'm on my way. :-D

Running the numbers for the 6000 vocabulary is virtually impossible though since I've cleared all the "A" words and all of the ㄱ "B" words, but I've also sporadically hit a very large number of the remaining "B" and "C" words by either learning those words from other sources or learning them as derivative forms of previously learned words. If I still had *all* the "B" and "C" words to learn, that would be 95.83 words / week (which is way too high as a maintainable goal). However, I already know a rather large chunk of those words plus many of them are simply derivatives of other entries. For example, the KEV6000 book treats 확인, 확인하다, and 확인되다 as 3 separate entries, even though learning one of them makes the other two obvious. As such, if I learned a word in my "A" pass and it has an obvious derivative form flagged as "B", then that "B" word will simply get bypassed by me even though it is part of the word count. Thus my actual remaining word count is far lower than those numbers would imply, so I don't need anywhere near that many words per week to finish this list. However, since there isn't an easy way to calculate what I do need, I may have to just pick a reasonable words per day or words per week goal (based on past experience) and target that for a while and see how much progress I make.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5295 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 31 of 479
30 December 2011 at 3:03pm | IP Logged 
I've decided to revise my "complete the Korean Essential Vocabulary 6000" goal. While I would still like to reach that goal, it's simply not feasible to set short term targets for it, since I don't know how many words actually remain. So instead I'm going for the conservative target of 2000 new SRS facts (38.5/week) regardless of whether they are in the KEV6000 list or not. If I have words already queued from other sources, I'll add those to the SRS. Otherwise, I'll continue to work my way through the KEV list. Yes, I could easily do more words per week than than that, but I want to set a goal that I reasonably think I can maintain for the entire year. I also plan to make that the minimum weekly goal, not an average weekly goal. If I take out most or all of the remaining KEV6000 in the process, great. If not, I'll at least make a sizable dent.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5295 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 32 of 479
30 December 2011 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
오늘 5자의 漢字를 추가했어요. 그러므로 이번주의 한자 목표가 끝났어요.

I added 5 Hanja characters today. Thus, this week's Hanja goal is complete.

이번주에는 벌써 22개의 단어가 SRS에 추가됐어서 17개만 더 필요해요.

This week, 22 words have already been added to my SRS, so only 17 more are needed.

Edited by Warp3 on 30 December 2011 at 4:58pm

This discussion contains 479 messages over 60 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version