Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 313 of 479
12 January 2014 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
BAnna wrote:
You are very organized and making lots of progress.   I was wondering what
you meant by "scorched earth" reading?
Keep up the good work.

I got the term from the author of http://www.koreaninkuwait.com/ who used to
post here as GoldFibre (and had a rather lengthy language log about his Korean studies). It
is pretty much the same as what most people here call "intensive reading" (where you look
up any unknown words) but his chosen term of "scorched earth" (i.e. annihilating something
as completely as possible) seemed more appropriate since I would also add all those words
to my SRS as well thus ensuring that no words from that source could possibly be left
unlearned.
1 person has voted this message useful

Bjorn
Diglot
Norway
Joined 4648 days ago

244 posts - 286 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 314 of 479
13 January 2014 at 2:10pm | IP Logged 
I like your idea about a "hook" for a language.
Now I just have to find a "hook" for Spanish.

This is a interesting log to follow.

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4412 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 315 of 479
13 January 2014 at 10:45pm | IP Logged 
Wow, it had been a long time I hadn't heard of KoreaninKuwait! I just checked his website
and saw his year-review from last July or so. Impressive stuff. His devotion to Korean
was the most impressive I've ever seen I think.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5315 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 316 of 479
14 January 2014 at 12:42am | IP Logged 
Bjorn wrote:
I like your idea about a "hook" for a language.
Now I just have to find a "hook" for Spanish.

This is a interesting log to follow.

Thanks.

I honestly credit getting hooked on Korean as the sole reason I'm still at it nearly 4.5
years later. It makes it hard to ignore a language when the bulk of the media you
consume is created *in* that language. That is why I feel so certain that I could do the
same thing with Spanish (i.e. continue learning it long term rather than dropping it yet
again) if I could just find something in Spanish that just embeds itself so deeply that it
makes ignoring the language near impossible.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5315 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 317 of 479
14 January 2014 at 12:44am | IP Logged 
yuhakko wrote:
Wow, it had been a long time I hadn't heard of KoreaninKuwait! I just
checked his website
and saw his year-review from last July or so. Impressive stuff. His devotion to Korean
was the most impressive I've ever seen I think.

His language log was definitely one of the most motivating to follow and I used to visit his
site daily until a couple years ago when I was so busy that I stopped visiting any language
blogs at all.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5315 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 318 of 479
18 January 2014 at 3:32pm | IP Logged 
Ya es el sábado y no he escribido nada en español esta semana todavía. {suspiro} El
jueves comencé a sentirme enfermo asi que me no he motivado para hacer nada.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5315 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 319 of 479
19 January 2014 at 12:24am | IP Logged 
Acabo de terminar de ver el primer capítulo de "Buffy: The Vampire Slayer" en español.
Por alguna razón, el primer parte no tiene subtítulos. Por eso, vi el primer parte sin
subtítulos y el segundo parte con subtítulos en inglés. Fue muy interesante y entendí
más de lo que había esperado.

Translation:
I just finished watching the first episode of "Buffy: The Vampire Slayer" in Spanish. For
some reason, the first part did not have any subtitles. So I watched the first part
without subtitles and the second part with English subtitles. It was very interesting and
I understood more than I had expected.

(FYI: Corrections to my foreign language postings are always welcome, so if I did
something wrong, please feel free to point it out.)

Watching this show again made me recall just how much I enjoyed this show when it was
airing. I definitely plan to keep watching these "en español" then adding in Angel when
the timing is right (otherwise the crossover episodes won't match up).

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5315 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 320 of 479
19 January 2014 at 5:49am | IP Logged 
I found myself continuing to watch Buffy this evening (maybe I finally found one of those
hooks I needed for Spanish) and suddenly realized that the Buffy Season 1 Spanish
torrent I found previously is actually Season 1 Disc 1, so it only has 4 episodes
(technically only 3 since the 2-hour pilot episode I mentioned watching in my last post is
split into two episodes on the DVD). So after having watched 2 more episodes tonight,
I've now exhausted the contents of that download.

I've found some other downloads but most that I've found don't have the audio and
subtitle track selections included (they've been ripped to AVI with only the Spanish audio
attached). While I'll watch it that way if I must, I'd rather have the option to toggle
English subtitles, if possible.

In fact, I'd be happy to buy the first couple seasons on DVD in a Spanish version, but I've
not had a ton of luck finding a decent option to do so. I found an okay deal on eBay for a
full set from Spain (all 7 seasons for just under $70 US, though that is for a *used*
copy not a new set) but the only listed shipping option was quite expensive (nearly $50)
given the estimated delivery time (2 weeks or so, which isn't bad but isn't really worth
$50 in shipping costs either). I may have to keep finding what I can for seasons 1 and 2
until I get to season 3 when I can go back to buying the standard North American
releases and get Spanish audio that way.

This discussion contains 479 messages over 60 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version