United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5314 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 401 of 479
27 September 2014 at 10:12pm | IP Logged 
I just picked up a new Japanese word today that is the perfect example of a word that is
so much simpler to learn via Korean. The word めし(飯; meshi) came up on AKBINGO!
(listed as "rice" in the on-screen subs), so I searched Denshi Jisho to clarify the true
meaning of the word: "1: cooked rice; 2: meal; food; 3: one's livelihood". So based on
that I added the word to Anki as a new card and as a definition entered simply "밥" (as
that Korean word has the *exact* same three usages).

For some words I've looked up today, I've also just gone straight to Naver's Japanese
dictionary if I just want the Korean word for it and only used Denshi Jisho for confirming
whether it is usually written in Kanji or Kana by default.

On that note, I added several words today to Anki while watching a couple episodes of
AKBINGO! and every word I added was learned either from the show itself or from a song
featured on the show. I added a total of 41 words and skipped quite a few words that I
didn't consider important enough to grab yet (and also skipped a ton of English loan
words and words that are pronounced 99% identically to their Korean counterparts).
With a very small number of exceptions I've given a Korean-only definition and often the
Korean definitions fit better than the English ones anyway (especially if they both match
up to the same Chinese characters in their respective languages).

Edited by Warp3 on 27 September 2014 at 10:13pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5314 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 402 of 479
28 September 2014 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
한국어 (2014년 9월 21일 - 2014년 9월 27일):

Suspended Korean Cards: 25 (all the Sep 2013 cards except for one sentence starter)

Extensive Reading:
- Twitter (a few visits each week)

Comments:
I need to hurry and find another Korean webcomic since I've just gone to not reading one
at all lately. Then again, I just need something to read each day, so I could just change
my Twitter visits instead and read more Twitter posts.

GOAL STATUS: Week 40
Grammar 1 (Extract grammar from SRS): DONE (65 cards)
Grammar 2 (Complete Let's Speak Korean 2부): 28/130
Grammar 3 (Complete Talk To Me In Korean): DONE
Grammar 4 (Complete Survival Korean): Not Started
Grammar 5 (Complete SK: Basic Grammar): Not Started
Grammar 6 (Review Lonely Planet Phrasebook): Not Started
Grammar 7 (Review Using Korean): Not Started
Vocab 1 (SE read 24 songs): 15/24
Vocab 2 (INT read 1 TTMIK 이야기/month): 6/12
Production 1 (Memorize 1 song/month): 8/12
Production 2 (Write 2 posts/week): 27/52
Team Gumiho Challenges: 2/3

---

日本語 (2014年 9月 21日 - 2014年 9月 27日):

Current RTK Lite Status:
Lessons Done = 14 -> 18 (56)
Kanji Covered = 323 -> 475 (2042)
Active SRS Cards = 230 -> 322 (1116)
(The values before the arrow are last week's values. The values in parenthesis are the
totals for completing RTK1 / RTK Lite.)

Pimsleur: 11-15

Extensive Reading:

Comments:
That last chapter of RTK1 (18) was a very long one at 80 characters (51 of which are in
RTK Lite as well) but that's also only the 3rd longest in the book (chapter 23 = 130;
chapter 25 = 96), so there are a few more of those to come. One more chapter and that
completes "part 2" of the book (and passes the 500th character and 1/4 of the way
checkpoints in the process). "Part 3" covers the remaining 3/4 of the 2042 characters,
though, so the parts aren't exactly even.

I'm picking up quite a list of words from AKBINGO! and AKB48 songs lately. After that
last post, I added a few more later that evening and ended up with 48 new cards all from
that one show (including songs featured on that show since the songs are captioned like
they are on Korean music shows).

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5314 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 403 of 479
05 October 2014 at 5:30pm | IP Logged 
한국어 (2014년 9월 28일 - 2014년 10월 4일):

Unsuspended Korean Cards: 20
- AOA - Get Out (1 card; 1 remaining)
- Jewelry - 니가 참 좋아 (4 cards; 6 remaining)
- AOA - Without You (3 cards; 0 remaining)
- 홍진영 - 사랑의 배터리 (4 cards; 4 remaining)
- No Brain - 넌 내게 반했어 (4 cards; 4 remaining)
- Girls' Day - 기대해 (4 cards; 13 remaining)

Extensive Reading:

Active Practice: Posts on Twitter

Song Memorization:
I didn't add any new songs to the Lyrics deck in September, but did just recently
unsuspend more lines for all of the songs already in that deck (see above). "Apink -
NoNoNo" and "Rainbow - Tell Me Tell Me" aren't in that list as they were fully active
shortly after adding them (since I already knew much of those two songs before officially
memorizing them).

Comments:
CZ has convinced me to give interview translation a try for his website
(http://hallyuinterview.wordpress.com/), so hopefully that will ramp up my
exposure time to Korean again and steal some of that time back from Japanese. I spent
a couple hours yesterday working on translating an interview, so hopefully I'll find time to
finish that translation today (or if not at least make more progress on it).

I kind of dropped the ball on some of my monthly tasks for September as I didn't SE read
any songs, didn't add a new song to the Lyrics deck, and didn't read an 이야기 lesson. A
lot of that was due spending so much more time with Japanese lately, which has greatly
cut into my Korean time. That is a big part of why I finally accepted CZ's offer above as it
gives me an excuse to try something new with Korean.

GOAL STATUS: Week 41
Production 2 (Write 2 posts/week): 28/52

---

日本語 (2014年 9月 28日 - 2014年 10月 4日):

Current RTK Lite Status:
Lessons Done = 18 -> 21 (56)
Kanji Covered = 475 -> 577 (2042)
Active SRS Cards = 322 -> 378 (1116)
(The values before the arrow are last week's values. The values in parentheses are the

Pimsleur: 16-20

Extensive Reading:

Comments:
It recently occurred to me that I don't really know how to write the Kana at all but can
only recognize them. If reviewing the Kanji actively works so well, then I need to do the
same with Kana. Thus yesterday I generated reverse cards for the 96 base Kana (which
are the only ones in the deck I'm using that show stroke order anyway) and feeding them
in at 10/day (so 10 days and I should have all 96 active).

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5314 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 404 of 479
12 October 2014 at 3:49pm | IP Logged 
한국어 (2014년 10월 5일 - 2014년 10월 11일):

Extensive Reading:

Comments:
Recently I noted some similarities between my initial hooks in Japanese and Korean,
one of which was a show for each language that I had watched an insane number of
times. That prompted me to go back and watch the SNSD + Kara episode of 놀러와 that I
had watched countless times early on in my Korean studies. It's been nearly five years
now since that period when I was watching that episode religiously and the difference in
what I understand now and what I grasped then is simply mind-boggling. Sure I expected
to understand the show much better now, as otherwise I've pretty much just wasted the
past 5 years. However, I just didn't realize how little I was understanding back then (even
the parts I was looking up and translating) until I actually went back to watch it. Because
the show was unsubbed (as I didn't find out until much later that subs were available for
it) I had expended a lot of effort trying to decipher that show bit by bit. When I rewatched
it this past week though (still unsubbed) those sections that were so difficult to decipher
back then (some to the point that I just gave up on understanding them), simply make
sense when I watch them now.

However, for some of those I can see why I couldn't decipher it: One phrase for example
had the name of a TV show in it (무한 도전, "Infinity Challenge"). Since I'd never heard of
that show at the time and there were no quotes around it, I had no way to realize that it
wasn't just part of the sentence and thus had been trying to understand the sentence
with those words in it (which made it completely unintelligible). Others involved phrases
where I knew the components of something but didn't realize yet that the meanings of
those bits change when used together. For example, I didn't really understand "알아서"
at the time, so I had mentally broken it into 알다 (to know) and ~어서 (~ is true, so ...),
but didn't realize that translating that phrase literally doesn't work. (For reference, the
context was that the host was asking how they got their nicknames and the response
was "본인이 알아서...", implying that each person picked their own nickname.) Other
sections I thought I understood back then. However when I watched the show this last
time, I caught extra context that I hadn't noticed before for some of those sections. In
fact, in a few cases that extra bit of context changed the meaning of the scene or phrase
entirely. The final difference was catching items that were said, but not captioned on-
screen. Many of those I simply didn't even realize existed back then (as I was too busy
focusing on the dialog that they *did* caption) but I caught plenty of that uncaptioned
dialog this time around, often without even trying to do so.

GOAL STATUS: Week 42

---

日本語 (2014年 10月 5日 - 2014年 10月 11日):

Current RTK Lite Status:
Lessons Done = 21 -> 22.5* (56)
Kanji Covered = 577 -> 705 (2042)
Active SRS Cards = 378 -> 453 (1116)
* I'm partway through lesson 23 (which at 130 Kanji is the longest chapter in the book)
and am about to start the "missile" primitive section.
(The values before the arrow are last week's values. The values in parentheses are the

Pimsleur: 21-25

Extensive Reading:

Comments:
The RTK walkthroughs weren't lying when they said that lesson 22 has some Kanji that
are very tough to remember well. Fortunately many of the trickiest characters were not
part of RTK Lite, so I can worry more about remembering them on the second pass
through RTK.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Ymer
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 4619 days ago

20 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Korean

Message 405 of 479
18 October 2014 at 1:54pm | IP Logged 
Warp, when you translate some lyrics do you use translations you find online as the
answer key so you can check how well you did? what is your procedure?

For me, even though I know the words and grammar, some lyrics just doesn't make any
sense. So I have to use the translations online but I don't know how accurate those are
either.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5314 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 406 of 479
19 October 2014 at 12:37am | IP Logged 
Sometimes if I'm really confused about a line, I'll see what other translated versions have
written there for comparison, but I usually only do that when I'm thoroughly stuck. I
probably should do it more often when I'm SE reading a song to confirm I'm not somehow
completely misreading that part in such a way that it still makes sense but is not correct.
Of course fan subs do vary greatly in quality (whether that be TV subs, lyrics subs, etc.), so
it can be hard to know which ones to trust. Also lyrics are sometimes just difficult to
translate in general due to the fact that they are more poetry than prose in nature and thus
tend to take more liberties with things like word order than prose typically does.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5314 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 407 of 479
19 October 2014 at 3:41pm | IP Logged 
한국어 (2014년 10월 12일 - 2014년 10월 18일):

Extensive Reading:

Comments:
I haven't done much of note with Korean this past week, just my normal usage (some TV,
music, some usage with various UIs, etc.). I'm still biasing Japanese TV very heavily right
now, but have been feeding Korean TV back in more and more.

GOAL STATUS: Week 43

---

日本語 (2014年 10月 12日 - 2014年 10月 18日):

Current RTK Lite Status:
Lessons Done = 22.5 -> 23 (56)
Kanji Covered = 705 -> 766 (2042)
Active SRS Cards = 453 -> 490 (1116)

Pimsleur: 26-30

Extensive Reading:

Comments:
I was gone a good chunk of the day yesterday, so I only entered Kanji on Sunday last
week. Thus that number is a bit smaller than it would be. In addition, I've not been doing
a great job keeping up with Anki this week, so my reviews in some decks is rather high
right now. Thus not adding Kanji yesterday may not have been as bad as it would have
since it would have exacerbated the review issue even more. I do plan to catch up Anki
today, though, and also add another batch of Kanji.

I finished Pimsleur Japanese Comprehensive 1 this week, so I'm not sure whether I'll
dive straight into level 2 tomorrow (which means buying the download version of it today)
or take a brief break from it and dive into other materials for a bit then start level 2 in a
couple weeks. I have been unsuspending my old Japanese deck (which was 98%
Pimsleur) as I do each lesson, so I am reviewing level 1's material in Anki.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5314 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 408 of 479
26 October 2014 at 1:11pm | IP Logged 
한국어 (2014년 10월 19일 - 2014년 10월 25일):

Unsuspended Korean Cards: 6
- Jewelry - 니가 참 좋아 (6 cards; 0 remaining)

Extensive Reading:

GOAL STATUS: Week 44

---

日本語 (2014年 10月 19日 - 2014年 10月 25日):

Current RTK Lite Status:
Lessons Done = 23 -> 25 (56)
Kanji Covered = 766 -> 891 (2042)
Active SRS Cards = 490 -> 550 (1116)

Pimsleur: 29-30

Michel Thomas Method: 1

Extensive Reading:

Comments:
I listened to the Michel Thomas Method Lesson 1 audio this week, since it is available
as a free sample. While I did learn some things from it (mostly some vocabulary), I
wasn't overly impressed with the lesson as a whole. In particular, the pronunciation
wasn't what I expected. Granted, I expected lackluster pronunciation from the students,
but the teacher's pronunciation wasn't that great either (especially with the vowels). I
didn't expect a native accent from her, but did expect accurate pronunciation. The native
speaker (which MTM Spanish did not have, but MTM Japanese does) obviously had the
pronunciation and accent down, but she also spoke in complete monotone with no
prosody at all, which sounded very unnatural and completely unlike the Japanese I'm
used to hearing from both Pimsleur and from Japanese TV.

I also listened to the last two lessons of Pimsleur Comprehensive 1 again near the end
of the week. That should give me a better start into Pimsleur Comprehensive 2 which I
plan to buy this weekend in download form.

I attempted to locate my Japanese-Korean textbook yesterday without much luck, so I'll
have to keep digging to find it. I did, however, locate my Lonely Planet Japanese phrase
book. So, I read through a good bit of that, especially the grammar section. I was glad I
did as I finally have a reference point for the ~nai(無い) negative grammar form now. So
far, Pimsleur has solely used the "~ja arimasen/~ku arimasen" negative endings for
adjectives but I noted that in AKBINGO! endings using "nai" got vastly more usage. Lonely
Planet Japanese covers the "~ja naidesu/~ku naidesu" endings as well which made what
I've seen and heard in AKBINGO! finally click into place.

Reading through Lonely Planet Japanese also *increased* my confusion about "kimi(君)"
though. Based on pure context from songs and TV show dialog, I had deduced that it was
likely similar to 너 or 그대 in Korean (i.e. a less formal version of "anata" for saying
"you"). (Originally I had also considered that it might be similar to the Korean term "오
빠(oppa)" since I primarily heard it from young females at first in contexts where that
term would work. But I later noticed that "oni(chan)" seems to be the rough match for
that term and I've heard males use "kimi" since then.) However Denshi Jisho and Lonely
Planet have both indicated that "kimi" is a term used primarily by males. So if "kimi" is a
term primarily used by males, why have I heard it used constantly by girls (probably more
so than from guys) in spoken dialog and the word is a virtual staple in girl group J-pop
songs?

As ridiculous as it sounds, I'm apparently watching Sailor Moon now. I watched the first
one to see what it was like (I very vaguely recall watching at least some the English
version of this series, but that was a couple decades ago) and I was fully expecting it to
turn out like my attempts to watch Taekwon V in Korean (which did not hold my interest
at all). As I expected, the show is ridiculously cheesy (as were most shows of this genre
back then), but it's the kind of cheesy that somehow makes it humorous (almost more
like watching a parody). It was also very obviously aimed at a young audience: the main
character is 14, the dialog seems to be very simple, and any Kanji in the intro and
ending sequences has furigana included. This makes it a surprisingly good starter show
for someone early in their studies and I'm actually picking up far more of the spoken
dialog than I could have dreamed of at this stage in my studies. I fully expected this to
be the type of show I tried, rolled my eyes at, and gave up on very quickly since shows of
this type don't age well regardless of how well known they are. However I'm finding it
genuinely fun to watch, so I'll keep watching it until that is no longer the case (or until the
series ends, whichever comes first).

I've also found myself watching some episodes of the well-known comedy series "Gaki no
Tsukai" lately (and in the process realizing where AKBINGO! got the ideas for a few of
their games).

EDIT: After posting this, I just skimmed through it and noticed that the number of Kanji
I've covered in RTK (891) has now surpassed the number of cards that were in my Hanja
deck (831). I'm only reviewing 550 of those Kanji so far, though, but I'm not too far from
passing that checkpoint as well. Also, I have only two more chapters until I reach the
halfway point of RTK1 (1021/2042 characters).

---

I completed reading "How To Improve Your Foreign Language Immediately" last night. It's
a bit early in my studies to apply those concepts to Japanese quite yet, but I could
definitely utilize them with Korean.

Edited by Warp3 on 26 October 2014 at 1:20pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 479 messages over 60 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version