United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5320 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 433 of 479
10 January 2015 at 3:58am | IP Logged 
It seemed like the obvious choice since they use it on Japanese variety TV in pretty much
the same way they use 화이팅/파이팅 on Korean variety TV.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4582 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 434 of 479
11 January 2015 at 6:36am | IP Logged 
Hi Warp3! Finally finished reading your log, phew! I just like to know about people's
journeys with a language they care about...
Very inspiring to see your progress with the languages. I'm glad you picked up
Japanese again. I can understand and totally relate to your Spanish plight. In my
case, it was Russian, and to a certain extent Spanish, French, and German. I started
to learn Russian in 2012 and didn't achieve much, largely abandoning the language,
repeatedly going back again and starting over, only to get stuck at the same exact
place I stopped at previously. I realized what I was missing was a "hook" to make me
love the language so much I'd be willing to sacrifice my time for it. But I was so
overprotective of Japanese and anything stealing time away from it that I would always
default back to Japanese. My media, books, almost everything I have is related to
Japanese in some way. It's a language I'm willing and wanting to see through and be
with for the long haul. When I think about the amount of effort I need to expend for
Japanese, I feel excited, not defeated at all. Like it's a challenge. With Russian, I
feel exhausted already and not really sure if I'll ever be at it the same way. That's
why I decided to give it a break, and just focus for now on Japanese. Also Korean has
been on my radar for sometime now and following you and CZ hasn't been really helping
with resisting the urge :) I feel about Korean the same way I feel about Japanese,
that this is something I'm willing to spend time and energy on, and really immerse
happily in the culture without feeling like I'm sacrificing anything. I found music,
dramas, and shows that I'm excited to actively spend time on when I start Korean at
some point in the near future. Japanese will always have that special place in my
heart, though, and I still want to get to a respectable level in the language before
tackling Korean. I find the best gains happen when I focus on one language at a time,
2 at the most if I'm well under way in one of them, and I'm always in awe of people
who can juggle multiple languages at once. I noticed that when you started Spanish and
Japanese together with Korean was also around the time your studies took a serious
dip. It may be related to your work, I'm not sure.

That took longer than I intended. Great log and keep up the good work.

Edited by Woodsei on 11 January 2015 at 6:51am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5320 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 435 of 479
11 January 2015 at 2:57pm | IP Logged 
I couldn't agree more, Woodsei. In fact, the fact that I'm finding myself feeling the same way
about Japanese as I do about Korean (which did not happen two years ago when I was
studying Japanese the first time) is what makes me realize that Japanese is probably here
to stay this time around. In fact, lately I often have to induce myself to spend more time
with Korean since Japanese is happily taking any time it can.

As you noted, studying all three languages just didn't work well. Even when it is not
particularly busy at work, I just don't have the free time to devote to three languages at
once. Once I get Korean and Japanese up to fairly high levels, it shouldn't be a problem to
feed in a third language, but Korean and Japanese both still need too much of my time for
that right now.
1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5320 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 436 of 479
11 January 2015 at 3:06pm | IP Logged 
한국어 (2015년 1월 4일 - 2015년 1월 10일):

Suspended Korean Cards: 0
I went to suspend the vocabulary cards from Dec 2013, but everything from that month
was either a grammar card or a sentence starter, so there was nothing to suspend.

Extensive Reading:
- Twitter (a few visits each week)

Comments:
Most of the unsubbed videos I've been watching have been either music shows or early
episodes of Running Man. It seemed that rewatching the older episodes of Running Man
in unsubbed form should allow me to reacquaint myself with the frequent dialog from the
show (this time in Korean-only form) in order to have a good "running start" (no pun
intended) into the newer episodes that I haven't seen at all yet.

TAC Progress:
Unsubbed Videos: 8 -> 15 (91)
Team Challenges: 0 -> 0 (1)
(The values before the arrow are last week's values. The values in parentheses are the
final goals for Q1, except for the Team Challenge where it denotes the total number of
issued challenges.)

---

日本語 (2015年 1月 4日 - 2015年 1月 10日):

Current RTK Lite Status:
Lessons Done = 46 -> 48 (56)
Kanji Covered = 1775 -> 1827 (2042)
Active SRS Cards = 1010 -> 1044 (1116)
(The values before the arrow are last week's values. The values in parentheses are the
totals for completing RTK1 / RTK Lite.)

Extensive Reading:

TAC Progress:
Rembering The Kanji: 2 -> 4 (26)
Textbook Lessons: 3 -> 5 (39)
Videos: 22 -> 43 (273)
Team Challenges: 0 -> 0 (1)
final goals for Q1, except for the Team Challenge where it denotes the total number of
issued challenges.)

Edited by Warp3 on 11 January 2015 at 3:09pm

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5320 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 437 of 479
18 January 2015 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
한국어 (2015년 1월 11일 - 2015년 1월 17일):

Extensive Reading:

Active Practice: Post on HTLAL (in the team thread)

Comments:
Posting my self-intro in the team thread reminded me once again just how little I use my
Korean actively and thus how much work it needs. I'll need to keep that in mind for Q2
when I switch to Korean for my focus language.

TAC Progress:
Unsubbed Videos: 15 -> 22 (91)
Team Challenges: 0 -> 1 (1)
issued challenges.)

---

日本語 (2015年 1月 11日 - 2015年 1月 17日):

Current RTK Lite Status:
Lessons Done = 48 -> 50 (56)
Kanji Covered = 1827 -> 1879 (2042)
Active SRS Cards = 1044 -> 1065 (1116)

Extensive Reading:

Comments:
I was starting to get frustrated that the "Japanese for Busy People" lessons were taking
way too long, so I've made a change. The change is that I no longer write out most of the
exercises, since that was the vast majority of the time. While I appreciate the Kana
writing practice, it makes the lessons far too slow and boring (and if I don't curb that
now, I'll eventually just stop doing them). There are two exceptions, however. I do write
the answers to the listening exercises (since transcription is kind of the point) and for
the quizzes that appear after each few lessons. Because of this change I just did a
lesson and a quiz in much less time than just the lesson alone would have taken me had
I written down everything. Fortunately, I still get writing practice for both Kanji and Kana
(JTBP1 only works on Kana anyway) from my Anki reviews since I do active reviews for
both and write my answers on graph paper.

TAC Progress:
Rembering The Kanji: 4 -> 6 (26)
Textbook Lessons: 5 -> 7 (39)
Videos: 43 -> 65 (273)
Team Challenges: 0 -> 1 (1)
issued challenges.)

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5320 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 438 of 479
25 January 2015 at 4:27pm | IP Logged 
한국어 (2015년 1월 18일 - 2015년 1월 24일):

Extensive Reading:

Comments:
Not much of note with Korean except that my "Unsubbed Videos" goal seems to have
stopped me from watching subbed media at all. I'm still not sure if this is a good thing
yet since it means I've not been watching some shows that I previously enjoyed, but at
least I'm getting a lot more unsubbed media exposure now. If it becomes too much of a
problem, I'm considering allowing subbed shows as partial credit toward the goal
(something like 2 subbed shows = 1 unsubbed show) so that way subbed shows still
count for something but aren't as efficiently counted so it's still more worth my time to
watch unsubbed media.

TAC Progress (week 4):
Unsubbed Videos: 22 -> 28 (91)
Team Challenges: 1 -> 1 (1)
issued challenges.)

---

日本語 (2015年 1月 18日 - 2015年 1月 24日):

Current RTK Lite Status:
Lessons Done = 50 -> 56 (56)
Kanji Covered = 1879 -> 2042 (2042)
Active SRS Cards = 1065 -> 1116 (1116)

Extensive Reading:

Comments:
I've been pondering taking a break from RTK after finishing my RTK Lite pass and the
closer I got to the end of the book, the better that idea seemed. As such, this past week I
didn't do any textbook lessons but rather made a final push to complete my RTK Lite
pass. The main reason I feel the need to pause for now is that I need to revisit the
characters I've already activated and tweak them to improve recall. There are two
culprits that seem to be triggering this issue with certain characters. First is that many
RTK keywords are simply too similar. For many characters, I've been able to resolve this
by adding Korean and Japanese readings to the keyword which helps differentiate which
character Anki is presenting to me, but not all cards have this yet. The second is that
some of my stories that seemed decent at first are simply not working as well as
expected, so I need to tweak some of those stories to make them more memorable. As
such, I'm going to stop adding new characters for a while and focus on getting my review
counts under control while going through all the RTK Lite characters and adding Korean
and Japanese readings where I haven't already done so.

I've been seriously considering trying out the premade beginner Anki decks from
Japanese Level-Up. I've been reading the blog there somewhat regularly (which reminds
me of what the AJATT blog used to be back in the day) and I'm starting to think that those
might be a decent deal after all, especially since they include full sentences, native
audio, minimal English, Kanji where applicable, and each card is designed to build upon
the knowledge introduced by the previous cards. Essentially it is like a textbook in Anki
form. It does seem a bit pricy at first glance, but then again the entire 1000 card
beginner pack (which also includes a few other items bundled in like a deck with all the
Kanji used in those 1000 cards) is still much less than each 30-lesson phase of
Pimsleur, should cover far more material, and is in a better format for actually reviewing
the material afterward (which is one of my complaints about Pimsleur as I feel they need
to at least include a review CD or something). I have several textbooks, so I could easily
follow his process of gleaning sentences from those and creating such a deck myself but
sometimes time is simply more valuable than money (to a point) and I think the premade
decks may be the better investment for me right now.

TAC Progress (week 4):
Rembering The Kanji: 6 -> 12 (26)
Textbook Lessons: 7 -> 7 (39)
Videos: 65 -> 94 (273)
Team Challenges: 1 -> 1 (1)
issued challenges.)

2 persons have voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5434 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 439 of 479
25 January 2015 at 4:51pm | IP Logged 
The main drawback of Heisig is learning characters in isolation. It is good to focus on
characters individually, but then you need to see those characters in vocabulary words,
and then you need to see those vocabulary words in context. I mentioned it about a month
or two ago I could still read some Mandarin despite not actively studying the language
for months, and that was due to the amount of vocabulary study and reading I had done.
For characters, I spend very little time learning them on their own, in which case I
usually just practice writing out the characters.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4582 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 440 of 479
25 January 2015 at 6:49pm | IP Logged 
I agree with CZ. Heisig is very helpful in helping you recognize the kanji and write
it out/know its component parts without all the hassle, but what makes them stick is
seeing them in vocabulary words. The kanji I know better are ones I came across
reading. Early on when I started, there was even kanji I learned to recognize without
having seen it in Heisig, simply because it showed up frequently. This is what I'm
doing currently, too, as I review, I try to link my kanji cards to words I've
previously encountered and know well. The koohii site seems to have introduced
multiple vocabulary words, and common ones too, with the kanji as you learn it, so
that the readings will come easily to you. Or you can try to read more sentences,
subs, books, whatever, and make note of it as you go.

Kanji needs context to stick, at least in terms of readings.

I understand the dilemma you have with needing structured materials that introduce
native content early. Work sucks so much energy and time, it can be really
overwhelming trying to make your own decks. I read the JALUP site regularly too, and
while I don't have any experience with the decks, they might be useful to you. Seeing
a word/kanji in multiple different contexts will make it stick better than seeing it
multiple times in the same sentence, imho, as well as SRSing things that you've
actively picked out since they resonate with you better, but since you are already
spending so much time doing other things like reading and watching TV, I don't see
purchasing the decks being a problem.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 479 messages over 60 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version