dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4833 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 9 of 12
25 August 2011 at 12:33am | IP Logged 
I have had to do large parts of the Spanish course several times over. If I hadnt done so, I would have got hardly any benefit out of the course at all.
I really think this whole "dont bother with memorising" busisness is mostly marketing, designed to apeal to peoples desire to be able to learn a language in only a few hours.

Dont get sucked in by it. The course is really good though, but I dont think many people will be "speaking the language" after a single listening.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5822 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 10 of 12
25 August 2011 at 1:16pm | IP Logged 
Emerald wrote:
I am currently doing Spanish Foundation course, and so far I've been listening to each
lesson twice. Usually in groups of three - so track 2,3,4 and then repeat 2,3,4 before
moving on. So far I didn't need this repetition, but I figured listening to it twice
might help me internalise more just in case I missed anything the first time. I'll
probably carry on with this throughout the whole course.

In my experience, you're better "overlapping" sessions -- ie start with the last track or two of the previous session, then listen to some new tracks. This way, all the "old" material is fresh in your memory when you're asked to combine it with something new.
Something like this:
1,2,3; 3,4,5; 5,6,7; 7,8,9

3 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4720 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 11 of 12
25 August 2011 at 6:54pm | IP Logged 
Elexi wrote:

As to the German - the 'nisht' of the woman upsets me more than the 'nikt' of the guy.

The woman had worse pronunciation than the man in my judgement. She was the one who always said "nickt" not the man. He was slower to learn, but I think Michel was more likely to correct his mistakes, and let the woman's mistakes slide.

My general method, when I used MT German, was to listen to it by half CD. I'd listen to a half CD twice, then the whole CD again before moving on. Wenever I began to feel it was getting difficult, I would go back to an earlier CD. Around CD 5 I began to get very stuck (on the use of weil... the students got stuck as well), so I went back to the beginning for another run-through, and then the rest of the course went smoothly using my triple method. After finishing I started the whole set again, but didn't repeat as much on the first 3 CD's. I'm sure I've been through the whole beginner set a dozen times or more.

I also went through the whole beginner set again before starting the advanced set.

Emerald
Triglot
United Kingdom
languagedabbler.blog
Joined 6056 days ago

316 posts - 340 votes 
Speaks: Hindi, Gujarati*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 12 of 12
27 August 2011 at 6:44pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
Emerald wrote:
I am currently doing Spanish Foundation course, and
so far I've been listening to each
lesson twice. Usually in groups of three - so track 2,3,4 and then repeat 2,3,4 before
moving on. So far I didn't need this repetition, but I figured listening to it twice
might help me internalise more just in case I missed anything the first time. I'll
probably carry on with this throughout the whole course.

In my experience, you're better "overlapping" sessions -- ie start with the last track
or two of the previous session, then listen to some new tracks. This way, all the
"old" material is fresh in your memory when you're asked to combine it with something
new.
Something like this:
1,2,3; 3,4,5; 5,6,7; 7,8,9

I have just finished first 2 discs, so I'll try this overlapping method from Disc 3. It
makes sense to do it that way - though so far, because my sessions have been done quite
fast, I haven't really had change to forget the material.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version