Groupie
Zimbabwe
Joined 4814 days ago

80 posts - 98 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, EnglishC2, GermanB2
Studies: Romanian, Serbo-Croatian, Latin, Lithuanian, Albanian, Ancient Greek

Message 1 of 8
30 July 2011 at 6:57pm | IP Logged 
For job reasons, I moved to Czech Republic some weeks ago. Apart from enjoying the outstanding beauty of Prague and the great local beers, I can't but deal with the local language - obviously Czech (German and Yiddish are unfortunately gone, and we all should know why...). I'd like to share with you fellow forum members some first-hand impressions on Czech language from the point of view of an Italian expat.

a) Czech is not that impossible language locals claim to speak - and they do it quite often. It is hard, it is extremely hard, but not impossible.

b) Having studied Serbo-Croatian for a while and having some bases of Russian, I was curious to see how these languages would have helped me in understanding Czech, which belongs to a different branch of the Slavonic family, i.e. the Western one. Well, I have to say that I am glad to have studied some other Slavic languages before: the basic words are more or less exaclty the same, numbers included. And trust me, it does dramatically help you in a city where English is far from being a widespread mean of communication. I definitively managed to survive my first time in a local supermarket. Thank you, Slavosperanto.

c) Pronounciation. I was astonished when realised that Czech shares some distinctive sounds with...Sicilian dialect. In particular, the Czech letter "ř" sounds exactly like the Sicilian rounded "r". Funny indeed.

Hope to have some other ideas to share with you soon. In the meanwhile, I'll be glad to read your comments, suggestions and critics too. Now I have to leave you - off for some pivo.

Nashledanou!

Edited by Dragomanno on 31 July 2011 at 11:56pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 2 of 8
31 July 2011 at 3:45pm | IP Logged 
Welcome to Prague, I hope you'll be happy here.

Your notes are quite precise.

1.Quite a lot of people think that Czech is impossible to learn but it is mostly due to them not knowing many people learning it. And those who claim that nonsense are often those who have troubles with learning foreign languages themselves. It is hard to learn to a high level, but show me a language which is not.

2.English is quite widespread among younger people (at least at the survival level). Most older people are not good at languages, since their school language classes were wasted on Russian, which they understandably didn't want to learn. And the stupid television channels, who do not present many films in original, are to blame as well.

Depends as well on what kind of people do you meet. Truth is that many salespeople are unable of speaking English and that is really wrong. But take it from the better side. I've read, not sure whether on this forum, about people having trouble finding someone who would speak Czech to them, not English. Your immersion is not being damaged in that way :-)

3.I actually realized, that Czech is a great base for learning many languages because of the pronunciation. We are used to a large variety of sounds, we have a strong difference between long and short vowels etc. I found most similarities with Spanish (and with Swedish, even though the same sounds are often represented by different letters) so far, the least with English. But I would have never imagined our "ř" can be found somewhere else.

4.Which beer do you like the most so far? And "hospoda" (czech word for pub) is a great place to practice your czech.

5.For how long approximately are you planning to stay? Rather few months or few years? (I hope I'm not being too curious.) Are you going to seriously learn Czech or just the survival phrases?

Wompi
Triglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 4767 days ago

56 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: German*, Spanish, English
Studies: Czech

Message 3 of 8
01 August 2011 at 9:46am | IP Logged 
Hi,

I also started learning czech one year ago, and looking forward to reading your informations about your language learning and the culture.

Dragomanno
Triglot
Groupie
Zimbabwe
Joined 4814 days ago

80 posts - 98 votes 

Message 4 of 8
02 August 2011 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa: Thank you for your welcome and your observations. I am quite happy here :-) To answer your questions:

a) I really enjoyed the dark Staropramen. But to quench one's thirst, all the Czech beers are really fine.

b) Just few months. And not, I am not seriously studying Czech. You know, being here for not that long, I have to choose whether to lock myself studying or to live and really know Prague. And this latter has been my choice. I hope you agree...

Wompi: Thank you for appreciating these lines. And good luck with Czech!

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 5 of 8
03 August 2011 at 3:12pm | IP Logged 
1. Yes, Staropramen is quite good. One friendly advice:if you ever encounter "Braník", don't even try it. It's one of the horrible exceptions among czech beers, it's even worse than most English ones (no offense meant). :-)

2. Sure I agree, it wouldn't be worth spending time at, the more if your job makes you travel more. There are people who come for several years (or forever) and still don't learn the language as long as English (or other language) is enough at work. And it might not be important during your free time as well, for exemple some smaller cinemas present films in original or czech films with English subtitles.And even a few theatres use this option.

Btw have you already found more people understanding English or are you still in desperate need of "Slavosperanto" and the "hands and legs" language?

Dragomanno
Triglot
Groupie
Zimbabwe
Joined 4814 days ago

80 posts - 98 votes 

Message 6 of 8
04 August 2011 at 11:46am | IP Logged 
Ok, no Branik, thanks!
More people understanding English? Well, as far as everyday business are concerned (shopping and eating, basically), I'v already picked the Czech I need. Which is a real advantage, people really appreciate a foreigner trying to speak their own language here. Whenever I want to have a deeper conversation, English and German are ok with most of people.
And tonight, Moravian wine...

Edited by Dragomanno on 04 August 2011 at 3:07pm

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5480 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 7 of 8
04 August 2011 at 2:31pm | IP Logged 
Dragomanno wrote:

Wonderful. I own a small farm in Moravia, and we grow grapes there. Alas, I am not
talented enough to turn them into wine. However, there are plenty of local vineyards that
do the job for me.

In just a few weeks, you will be able to sample a real Czech specialty: Burčák, which is
semi-fermented grape juice. It is absolutely delicious, but dangerously alcoholic.

Dragomanno
Triglot
Groupie
Zimbabwe
Joined 4814 days ago

80 posts - 98 votes 

Message 8 of 8
04 August 2011 at 4:27pm | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:
Dragomanno wrote:

Wonderful. I own a small farm in Moravia, and we grow grapes there. Alas, I am not
talented enough to turn them into wine. However, there are plenty of local vineyards that
do the job for me.

In just a few weeks, you will be able to sample a real Czech specialty: Burčák, which is
semi-fermented grape juice. It is absolutely delicious, but dangerously alcoholic.

Good luck with your Moravian wineyard! As for Burčák, why should I wait some weeks? Just let me finish my bottle of wine :-)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version