Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4720 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 1 of 7
02 August 2011 at 8:47pm | IP Logged 
Does anyone know where I can get a chapter by chapter vocabulary list for French in Action? A google search only brought up lists for an online flashcard programme.

EDIT: I suppose the textbook would have vocabulary lists for each chapter. So a second question would be, is the textbook worth getting? I have the DVD's.

Edited by Jeffers on 02 August 2011 at 9:00pm

1 person has voted this message useful

translator2
United States
Joined 6730 days ago

848 posts - 1862 votes 

Message 2 of 7
03 August 2011 at 2:12am | IP Logged 
French in Action Vocabulary List on Quizlet
French in Action Vocbulary List on Memorize

2 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4720 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 

Message 3 of 7
03 August 2011 at 2:16am | IP Logged 
translator2 wrote:
French in Action Vocabulary List on Quizlet
French in Action Vocbulary List on Memorize

Thank you. But both sites seem to have random selections of chapters, and they are online flashcards. Does anyone know of a site which just lists the vocabulary? If not, I might try to cull the vocab from these sites (although I don't think all chapters are included).

(EDIT: those two sites are the sites I mentioned in my original post, by the way).

Edited by Jeffers on 03 August 2011 at 2:17am

srh9592
United States
Joined 5515 days ago

14 posts - 15 votes
Studies: French, Spanish

Message 4 of 7
12 August 2011 at 1:13pm | IP Logged 
I'm using French in Action now. The text book and work book are important, but you will also need the audio files to use with the workbook. These items are available at amazon.com or at (http://www.learner.org/catalog/series83.html); these items are pricey but how valuable is your time? These products will make your time investment in FIA much more effective. The study guide is okay but not necessary.

Wrt VOCAB lists: FIA does not want you to use vocab lists, and does not want you to translate from English to French. You are supposed to watch the videos/ use the text book & work book in French... learn through immersion. The text book and work book have photos and cartoons showing actions that correspond to audio you hear in the audio file drills; this method is effective for learning vocabulary. This is one of the reasons it's important to have the text book, work book, and audio files in addition to the videos.

Like you, I would still like English/French flash cards to augment the FIA method and have also been looking for a FIA vocab list (by chapter) via google with no luck.

The text book does have a complete vocab list at the back of the book but it's an alphabetical list for all chapters combined; each entry has (German word/English word/ grammar/ chapter number(s) for the word/phrase). This list is for emergency use if the immersion method is not working for a specific word/phrase.

If money was not object, I'd pay someone to re-type all the words in a Word document with the chapter number used at the start of each entry; then I could sort by chapter... instant vocab list by chapter. Unfortunately, doing this work myself would take a ton of time that I could better use studying French. If we could get 10 or more FIA students to work together on the project, I'd be willing to participate since the smaller time investment would be worth the complete (sorted by chapter) vocab list.

Edited by srh9592 on 12 August 2011 at 1:18pm

Farley
Triglot
United States
Joined 6903 days ago

681 posts - 739 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, GermanB1, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 5 of 7
13 August 2011 at 5:20am | IP Logged 
srh9592 wrote:
I'm using French in Action now. The text book and work book are important, but you will also need the audio files to use with the workbook. These items are available at amazon.com or at (http://www.learner.org/catalog/series83.html); these items are pricey but how valuable is your time? These products will make your time investment in FIA much more effective. The study guide is okay but not necessary.

I agree 100%. The French in Action Textbook is well worth the investment of money. I'd buy Mastering French Vocabulary as the next best thing to a FIA word list. You'll recognize most of the vocabulary as being "somewhere" in FIA. The workbooks are valuable but not essential. For the money, I think Hugo French gives a better overview.

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5376 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 6 of 7
13 August 2011 at 8:39pm | IP Logged 
I am going through the whole of FIA now - I would disagree that the workbooks/audio are not essential to
the course. Capretz and co have buried a huge amount of phonology, grammar and practice in the two
workbooks that, in my opinion, is not matched by any other single course on the market.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4720 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 

Message 7 of 7
16 August 2011 at 7:04pm | IP Logged 
I did buy the FIA textbook, finally. I think it will be very helpful, although there's not really much in it other than the transcripts of the DVD's. Each section has vocabulary in grey boxes, which I will make into cards.

In keeping with the philosophy of the course, all the vocabulary is illustrated rather than translated. It generally works well with the videos, but in the textbook it doesn't always work well (much like Rosetta Stone). In any case, I'm not learning by immersion, so I will use a dictionary to help make my vocabulary cards for FIA.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version