Groupie
Colombia
Joined 4713 days ago

48 posts - 62 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 17 of 25
03 December 2011 at 1:40pm | IP Logged 
I took the Noken 4`s sample questions in the official exam page to measure of my progress. I scored 11/15. That made me feel happy, but I know I still have a long way to go. I found I have to work a lot more in my kanji reading because, in the samples, trying to read gave me a headache and thus I skipped 2 questions XD!

I am almost done with Nihongo Notes 2. I think I will be starting Nihongo Notes 3 by next week.

I`m really liking the study focus weeks. I feel I am progressing more than when I tried to study grammar and kanji in the same week.

I found this site which is based on Genki I: http://mykikitori.com/ This site provides listening skills` practice and I am really enjoying this. ^_^!

I also tried JapanesePod101 and I liked it. Now I am trying to integrate it to my study.

Edited by AndyMeg on 03 December 2011 at 1:43pm

1 person has voted this message useful

fortheo
United States
Joined 4823 days ago

187 posts - 222 votes 
Studies: French

Message 18 of 25
09 December 2011 at 10:39am | IP Logged 
Glad you are still improving, keep it up!!
2 persons have voted this message useful

AndyMeg
Diglot
Groupie
Colombia
Joined 4713 days ago

48 posts - 62 votes 

Message 19 of 25
19 June 2012 at 5:09pm | IP Logged 
おひさしぶり です ね!!

It has been a long time since I last updated my log, but all this time I have been studying japanese, and slowly I am starting to feel that finally all my efforts are paying off.

Two days ago I watched a dorama episode and I could understand at least 40% of what they said. And that made me feel really happy ^_^!

I have changed my study materials and method.

I am using Iknow (also known as smart.fm) which is a website that helps you learn 6000 of the most common words in japanese. I really like Iknow and I have seen a great increase in my vocabulary since I started studying with the apps that Iknow provides.

I am also studying with a book called "An Introduction To Modern Japanese. Book 1: Grammar lessons" by Cambridge Press. I like this book a lot because I can divide each lesson in small parts that I study whenever I have time.

I am also doing some other stuff, and planning to do more things, but I`ll write about it later.

AndyMeg
Diglot
Groupie
Colombia
Joined 4713 days ago

48 posts - 62 votes 

Message 20 of 25
19 June 2012 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
fortheo wrote:
Glad you are still improving, keep it up!!

Thanks!!! ^_^!

AndyMeg
Diglot
Groupie
Colombia
Joined 4713 days ago

48 posts - 62 votes 

Message 21 of 25
26 January 2017 at 6:43pm | IP Logged 
After almost 5 years... I'm back!!!!!

Life got in the way many times, but I kept studying japanese on and off and I think I have achieved a lower-intermediate level (grammar wise), but I still need to improve my vocabulary a lot.

Over the years I've been less and less in contact with japanese native material (anime, manga, doramas), and more and more in contact with korean native material (specially K-Dramas, K-Variety Shows and K-pop), so this year I decided to start learning korean as my main focus.

I'll keep studying japanese but at a more relaxed pace. Here is my plan for japanese:

- Practice once a week with a friend using japanese scripts of doramas. The way we practice is as follows:

1) We watch the part of the dorama will be studying that day, but we don't pay attention to the subs, only to the sounds and the general context.
2) We read the japanese script for that part and look for anything we don't understand (new vocab, grammar, etc.)
3) After we get a good grasp of the script meaning, we contrast it with the official subs.
4) Then we divide roles and read our part of the script trying to imitate the actors' pronunciation and intonation.
5) We listen to the part again and then role-play some more.

So far this has been a really fun and gratifiying way of studying :)

- As I still have a very basic Kanji knowledge, I'll be practicing everyday (for at least 10 minutes) using this amazing android app: Kanji Study

In the app I've made custom groups to study kanjis in frequency order. For this I've used 2001.Kanji.Odyssey as a guide.

Later I plan to create another log for my Korean studies.

Edited by AndyMeg on 26 January 2017 at 6:47pm

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4971 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 22 of 25
06 February 2017 at 8:49am | IP Logged 
I was reading your log from the beginning and just noticed the dates.   It looks like we've been studying about
he same amount of time.   I -just- passed the N2 a couple months ago. I had hoped to do it sooner like you
but this language is hard! Unfortunately, no matter how I switched my studies up, Japanese just always
improved slowly. Anyway, good luck with your studies. Maybe the lack of kanji will help you get literate faster
in Korean and learning faster.

AndyMeg
Diglot
Groupie
Colombia
Joined 4713 days ago

48 posts - 62 votes 

Message 23 of 25
14 February 2017 at 9:00pm | IP Logged 
kraemder wrote:
I was reading your log from the beginning and just noticed the dates.   It looks like we've been studying about
he same amount of time.   I -just- passed the N2 a couple months ago. I had hoped to do it sooner like you
but this language is hard! Unfortunately, no matter how I switched my studies up, Japanese just always
improved slowly. Anyway, good luck with your studies. Maybe the lack of kanji will help you get literate faster
in Korean and learning faster.

Thanks!
That's great!
I would like to take the JLPT some time in the future (not this year, but maybe in 2 or 3).
The good thing is that it improves, even if slowly.
Yes, I think so too! (and I'm a lot more immersed in korean than I ever was with japanese, so I suppose that helps too)
What happened with kanji is that a got a trauma with them early in my studies: I was studying with a native speaker. After the first level I was the only one that passed to level 2, but there was not level 2 group at the moment and sensei told me that I could skip ahead to level 3 if I wanted. I took her offer and then, suddenly, I was in kanji hell. I had to take some extra classes from her to catch up with the others in level 3. With grammar it was rather easy, but kanji was another story. When I started level 3, the group was mid-way through that level, so, in total, they were 1 level and a half above my level. I did catch up on grammar, but they knew a lot more kanjis that what I saw on level 1 (because for level 1 we were primarly learning and practicing the kanas). On level 3 sensei made kanji quizzes every week, and in every quiz I got bad results. A few months in I was so scared of another bad score that I didn't want to go to class on the days I knew sensei would be making another kanji quiz.

Edited by AndyMeg on 14 February 2017 at 9:13pm

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4971 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 24 of 25
15 February 2017 at 12:22am | IP Logged 
I can relate to your being in a class over your head. I decided to learn Japanese one spring. As you can
imagine my self studying was erratic and unstructured. Basically I downloaded vocabulary flashcards and
studied them and watched anime. I had a textbook too. That fall I couldn't take classes because of my work
schedule. But my work schedule changed and I was able to enroll for the spring semester. I had the choice of
taking 2nd semester Japanese or first. I had basically done half the first semester on my own using the book
and decided to go for second semester Japanese. The teacher was about a foot shorter than me but I kid you
not when I say I was terrified of getting called on in class because I rarely knew the answer. I was scared to
go to EVERY class haha. But I went. I really was a lot more motivated than the other students though and by
the end of the semester I was among the best students in the class. Being put ahead of your level can be
stressful (really really stressful!) but also make you learn more.

Kanji do get better but it takes years of consistently seeing and reading them. Yuck right? It takes Japanese
kids many years to properly learn kanji and unfortunately the same applies to us.

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version