Joined 6931 days ago

455 posts - 424 votes 
7 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, Catalan*, FrenchA1, Italian, German
Studies: Swedish

Message 113 of 377
03 February 2006 at 3:21am | IP Logged 
cheemaster wrote:
Not to mention the cost of a call to Brazil.

Mr Fazah could download Skype for his computer ;)
1 person has voted this message useful

Raistlin Majere
Trilingual Hexaglot
Spain
uciprotour-cycling.c
Joined 6931 days ago

455 posts - 424 votes 
7 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, Catalan*, FrenchA1, Italian, German
Studies: Swedish

Message 114 of 377
04 February 2006 at 9:45am | IP Logged 
It seems the smiley at the end of my post made it seem a joke... I was serious, it's him who's got an interest in proving he speaks that many languages, it's not anyone of us who has made such a claim.

He could put a little of his own effort to prove this.

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6647 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 115 of 377
04 February 2006 at 8:23pm | IP Logged 
I'm new to this forum, but this website in itself has been one of my favorites, so I thought I'd join.

I have spoken with Mr. Fazah on the phone, twice actually. We first corresponded via email, as I wanted know know about his method, and he finally invited me to call, so I did.

As far as testing his language abilities, I'm afraid that I currently am not the right person for this. English is my mother tongue, and that is what we spoke in. He also listened to me in Spanish and German, and complimented them both (Spanish I can handle more or less fluently, German I'm still not very good in). However, his English is excellent. He has a very confident voice, and a rather musical accent. He is definitely fluent in it. I would say the same for his Spanish and German as well.

Concerning what we talked about...I'm afraid there's not much I can add that hasn't been spoken about already: his method has been discussed, and he very strongly adviced me to follow it. I've been following his advice to help me patch up my Esperanto grammar, since I've been working at this language for a long time now...and I'm going to use it to help me polish my other languages that I've studied. I guess I cannot be sure how well it will work for me until I study a language I've learned next to nothing about before, like Arabic or something. But so far at least it seems to be working.

Mr. Fazah mentioned that he doesn't keep up on all the languages he speaks, and that for many of them, he'd have to review his grammar and vocabulary before he could converse in it, but he maintained that he can still do it...and I guess this makes sense...I'm of the thought process that if you learn something well, you never really forget it, you just have to review it after awhile, and brush the cobwebs off of it, so to speak.

As far as downloading Skype, I believe he said he couldn't do it down there with his computer, or something. I don't remember what exactly, but there was some complication with that. One of my friends in Germany seems to have the same complication, because she said that she would not be able to download it either.

Anyway, ladies and gentleman, I do not wish to create a debate of sorts. I merely wanted to say that I contacted him, and to be best of my limited linguistic knowledge, his story checks out.

I hope to be able to contribute to this extremely fascinating website.

Edited by Journeyer on 05 February 2006 at 3:51am

Mi-chan
Japan
Joined 6646 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes

Message 116 of 377
05 February 2006 at 2:54am | IP Logged 
This is great discussion. I really want to be able to know a lot of languages. But what is the way to do it?

I read on a website a method that might be his method of learning it. But I cannot find that website again but I will continue to search and write it here is I find it.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6688 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 117 of 377
05 February 2006 at 5:54am | IP Logged 
There are a few books by him, one of which is mentioned earlier in this thread, "Ensinando a aprender Espanhol". The article Does Ziad Fazah really exist? has some scanned pages from his books, and from the French tutor we can see a chapter about the methodology, so perhaps it would be wise to have a look there. And maybe get one of the books. :)

Chris
Heptaglot
Japan
Joined 6900 days ago

287 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian, Indonesian, French, Malay, Japanese, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Korean, Mongolian

Message 118 of 377
07 February 2006 at 7:37am | IP Logged 
I tend to think this might have something to do with it - but triggered unconsciously and naturally rather than "manually":

www.worldlanguagelearning.com

Edited by Chris on 07 February 2006 at 7:42am

konrad
Poland
Joined 6643 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes

Message 119 of 377
08 February 2006 at 9:34am | IP Logged 
Hello everyone. This topic is so interesting that I had to register to be able to write my opinion on it. :)

I want to learn as many languages as possible, but I have two serious problems: lack of time and lack of language material. I know that it's possible to learn even 20 languages at the same time but to manage this, you need good books and a lot of free time which is not so easy when you have to work, go to school, etc. Good books even for popular languages are rare, especially in such countries like Poland where I live. :) If I would like to speak Hindi or Chinese, the only solution would be to buy something written in English which is quite expensive for me.

I know that Ziad Fazah is like a legend for all people who have the same dream as I have - to speak as many languages as possible even if I never use them. I think that it's possible that he exists, but I don't think he speaks so many languages well. It's just like my story or the story of the man who spoke Javanese. When I started to learn so many languages, many of my friends thought that I was a real polyglot. When I learned to write in Arabic, they thought I was able to speak it fluently. I always try to explain that it isn't true, but, as always, everybody around me knows better. Surely there are a lot of polyglots of this type. Everybody believes they speak a lot of languages but in fact the truth is that they started to learn them.

And the whole story of the people who tell everybody they know very well Ziad Fazah... Maybe it's true, maybe it's not as a lot of things on the web. Internet gives you a big possibility of making up a big story of your life. There are people who do this for pleasure. But if you really tried to learn foreign languages, reading the posts in this thread, you'll be able do see really who is talking sincerely here, who really tried to learn various languages and who really speak some of them.

There's a nice article of this site: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/e/guide/language-show-o ffs.html
Read it, it's worth of it :)

Konrad

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6794 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 120 of 377
08 February 2006 at 10:57am | IP Logged 
konrad wrote:
I know that it's possible to learn even 20 languages at the same time but to manage this, you need good books and a lot of free time

Despite all the resources and free time in the world, I think it's impossible to learn that many languages at the same time. Perhaps you mean in one lifetime, in which case it's most definitely possible as many have shown, including (possibly) Ziad Fazah.

This discussion contains 377 messages over 48 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version