Diglot
Poland
Joined 6927 days ago

363 posts - 368 votes 
Speaks: English*, Polish

Message 129 of 377
11 February 2006 at 6:40am | IP Logged 
Hello Room,

Just to add my voice to the discussion - I actually did phone Mr Fazah last week. My birthday was on Monday and I thought what the hell, why not just phone the guy and see what he has to say for himself.

Unlike some of you, I'm not a polyglot so I wasn't able to test him in lots of languages. I was more interested in his methodology - which basically boils down to intelligent, systematic, hard work - with a dash of natural talent too I would say.

If he is as fluent and as interesting in his many other languages as he is in English, then he really must be something special. I found him to be very, very down to earth with a great sense of humour. If he is your teacher Dave, then you are very fortunate.

As to is methods, basically he spends about 15 minutes a day on drilling the sounds, then he really attacks the grammar, then, after that he goes for the vocabulary. He claims he can learn 3,000 words in three months. He would often work on 3 languages in an hour, spending 20 minutes on each of them. I use the past tense because he no longer studies languages. Why? For the very simple reason that there is no money in it. He actually said that a man with 30 languages earns about the same as a man with 2 languages. He does, I believe, do appearances on tv shows to talk about his linguistic abilities.

Going back to his methodology for a moment, his strategy does sound very similar to that employed by Ardaschir on this forum, and also by Sir Richard Burton, the famous British explorer. The thing these polyglots do, it seems to me, is accept the fact that language learning is something which needs to be done everyday and in small bites.

1 person has voted this message useful

vinz
Tetraglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6665 days ago

55 posts - 56 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Vietnamese, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written)

Message 130 of 377
11 February 2006 at 12:07pm | IP Logged 
Journeyer wrote:
vinz wrote:
I just spoke to Ziad Fazah in English, French and some Vietnamese.

I'm curious, how was his Vietnamese? I ask, because the last time him and I spoke, I asked him about this, and he said he indeed could speak it, but also talked about the difficulties of learning fluently an Oriental language without being in the country...I wasn't sure what he meant by this, though I assumed he was referring to idiomatic expressions, etc.

It was alright. I could tell it was rusty and needed practice. He said it was one of the hardest languages he's had to learn because of the 6 tones and the idiomatic expressions. He said it would take him a few days of hardcore reviewing before he gained his vocab and inflexions back again.

tomasus
Pentaglot
Groupie
Czech Republic
Joined 6814 days ago

54 posts - 56 votes 
Speaks: Slovak, Czech*, EnglishC1, German, Russian

Message 131 of 377
15 March 2006 at 6:12am | IP Logged 
To all the sceptics out there, there are numerous posts on internet boards where people claim they have seen Ziad Fazah in Guinness Book of Records, years 1993, 1997, and maybe even other years. For example, here http://www.funtrivia.com/ask.cfm?action=details&qnid=36343.

As far as I am aware, Guinness Book of Records has a pretty tough rules for someone to get in.

It would be fantastic if he would ever be inclined to write a book (in English, not Portuguese) about his work and learning method.

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6650 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 132 of 377
28 May 2006 at 6:59pm | IP Logged 
To everyone:

I realize this thread has been silent for some time, and I don't mean to resurrect dead threads. However, I needed to share some information.

I have just spoken with Mr. Fazah on Skype, and he said now that he has downloaded this program, he is willing to give lessons via E-Mail and Skype to anyone who is interested. He gave me permission to put his information out there, so here it is again:

Contact Info supplied by Dave some months ago (back on page 12 I believe)

ziadyfazah@yahoo.com.br

(021)2557 9153 Home Phone Number
(021)9602 3067 Cell Phone

and his Skype contact is ziadyfazah

I am not sure what prices are, I suppose that is something that would have to be negotiated between yourselves and him, if you are interested.

Anyway, I realize this is not a marketing website, but he asked me to tell people I knew if I knew anyone interested, and it occured to me that perhaps I should make a mention here.

Dave M
Groupie
United States
bfmfightwear.com
Joined 6708 days ago

56 posts - 63 votes 

Message 133 of 377
28 May 2006 at 8:09pm | IP Logged 
I will hopefully be writing a book at the end of the yearon language learning when I officially speak 10 languages (at 7 right now) and I hope to include Ziad in a lot of this book.

I suggest you all take advantage of these lessons Ziad is a phenomenal teacher and a very lovable and outgoing person.

sigiloso
Heptaglot
Groupie
Portugal
Joined 6561 days ago

87 posts - 103 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2, PortugueseC1, Galician, French, Esperanto, Italian
Studies: Russian, Greek

Message 134 of 377
02 June 2006 at 10:50am | IP Logged 
Dave M

Please I urge you, when you eventually launch your book, let us know here. I admire you as much as I admire Ziad and dont wanna miss it. Believe it or not, I ve printed your contributions in this thread, which has been the thread of my life, as if were, and keep them as a treasure, as they sum up my own feeling on the ..."spirit" of the thing.

Keep going and don't cast your pearls to the swine.

AML
United States
Joined 6607 days ago

323 posts - 426 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Modern Hebrew, German, Spanish

Message 135 of 377
08 June 2006 at 12:38am | IP Logged 
heartburn wrote:
Dear Sir,

My name is Ziad Fazah. Indeed, after having installed Freebsd version
5.1 on my pc, I found out that after having got at startx command, there
was something written as an error: (EE) Unable to locate /open config file
(EE) Error from xf86HandleConfigFile log file: /var/log/XFree86
Fatal server error:
no screens found.

Thus, I am asking you amiably: how can I solve this problem? Besides, Iam
running on Redhat version 9.0. Please, tell me what to do in order to
work out this matter. In anyway, I shall be awaiting your response as
soon as possible, and thanks a lot for everything.
Sincerely,
Ziad Fazah     

Dear Sir,

My name is Ziad Fazah. Indeed, after having configured adequately
Freebsd version 5.1 on my pc, I noticed that there was a mistake on the
non-detection of my Samsung Syncmaster monitor through the
XF86Config.
Thus, I do ask you, whether Freebsd supports Samsung Syncmaster
monitor or not? Because according to my settings, there was a mistake
concerningmy monitor in /etc/X11/XF86Config... It turns out that the
question was seeking an identifier for my monitor through the
XF86Config. Thus, I answered:Samsung, but the answer was wrong ,
therefore, I couldn't proceed. So please, tell me what to do,referring to
the identifier that I do need to write for the monitor, in order to have all
settings correct in XF86Config. In anyway, I shall be awaiting your
response as soon as possible, and thanks a lot for your understanding.

Sincerely,
Ziad Fazah

I have communicated with Ziad (very nice guy by the way) and this is, in
fact, exactly how he writes. Kind of strange.

Edited by AML on 08 June 2006 at 12:39am

Frisco
Triglot
United States
Joined 6638 days ago

380 posts - 398 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Italian, Turkish, Mandarin

Message 136 of 377
08 June 2006 at 1:53am | IP Logged 
AML wrote:
I have communicated with Ziad (very nice guy by the way) and this is, in fact, exactly how he writes. Kind of strange.

I would assume he reads a lot and probably doesn't watch much TV.

This discussion contains 377 messages over 48 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version