Brazil
mypolyglot.com
Joined 6834 days ago

48 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: English

Message 25 of 377
02 August 2005 at 1:27pm | IP Logged 
Hi, friends, I'm so glad to be here, I'm from Brazil, and I live in a city near Ziad Fazah, Here we can buy his book called "ensinado a aprender idiomas" ( or "Teaching how to learn languages") with them (there are 3 or 5, ut I've got only 2) he teaches Italy, French, english.

I hope'll learn a lot with you.
1 person has voted this message useful

Nephilim
Diglot
Poland
Joined 6925 days ago

363 posts - 368 votes 
Speaks: English*, Polish

Message 26 of 377
02 August 2005 at 1:47pm | IP Logged 
Hi Mello,

and welcome to the forum. Do you happen to know if this book is also available in English? Does Fazah teach in a university or does he work privately? It is very hard to find any information on this very interesting man.

mello
Groupie
Brazil
mypolyglot.com
Joined 6834 days ago

48 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: English

Message 27 of 377
02 August 2005 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
hi Nephilim
I know thtat he lives in Rio de Janeiro, and is a private english teacher, he rarely apears on the country Tvs.
His ook is only avaliable in portuguese. But really isn't so good, these are the main ideia:

However, to study foreign languages, the specific books suggest to use every possible ressources of the choosed language.

If you want to study french, for instance, its a better idea to buy a grammar (preferably with a cassete), a dictionary, a phrasebook (travelbook with the basic words and phrases), french musics, french magazines with your favorite subject, and everything that you can find about it. Even in the internet, you can find a lot of things. The more you find, better. This is the best way to do. In addition to that, to have foreign friends can also be very good.

With this in his hands, Ziad Fazah, the biggest poliglote of the world, suggests to study in seven steps:

Reading with a loud voice      Read and repeat the sentences several times during the day
Visualization      Read visualizing each sentence during 2 minutes.
Memorizing      Revise each dialog or gramatical rule in silence until you memorize them as a whole.
Question yourself      Cover the words with your hands, on the book. Remember the meanings (and synonims!) then checke the translation.
Declamation      Simulate a dialog, making your own speech.
Answer and Checking      Answer the exercises proposed by books
Aprimorate      Revise the lessons.

and for more information
you can find in one of my odest personal pages in the internet:
http://geocities.yahoo.com.br/jotta_mello/ziadeling.htm
some articles are only in portuguese
In My new we site I will Put some more informations aout him, also in english. www.cursosbrasil.com
there you can find almost everthing about Ziad

chaserella
Groupie
United States
Joined 6911 days ago

40 posts - 40 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 28 of 377
04 August 2005 at 3:15pm | IP Logged 
I have seen a television program about savants! Not only the severely autistic one but people who exibit very small signs of autism such as social anxiety but also have an extreamly good memory. One such man recited pi out to 34,000 digits! He claims to see numbers as objects in his head allowing him to calculate extreamly difficult mathmatical equations like a calculator. He also claimed to be able to learn a language in a week. The program gave him the task of learning Icelandic. He read through a couple text books, a dictionary, and spent the seven days in Iceland with a tutor. He went on live television where he was interviewed by two Icelandic
journalist. He had not achieved native fluency but was definatly at a high intermediate level. Just a possible explanation for his learning so many languages before the age of twenty.

pentatonic
United States
Joined 7027 days ago

221 posts - 245 votes 

Message 29 of 377
04 August 2005 at 7:26pm | IP Logged 
Chaserella, do you happen to recall the name of the show you watched?

Mondi
Heptaglot
Australia
Joined 6810 days ago

4 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Mandarin, Japanese, Arabic (Written)

Message 30 of 377
28 August 2005 at 4:45am | IP Logged 
The Portuguese list includes both "Bhutanese" and "Dzongkha" - surely these are the same language? Maybe the journalist (or Ziad himself) made a mistake here. And what exactly is meant by "Singaporese"?
It was interesting to read Ardaschir's increasing doubts about whether the poor man exists or not, as I've become interested in him lately and was beginning to have doubts about how and how well he could have learnt so many languages in Lebanon at that time. Remembering how bad English texts were then, and how few languages were available, you wonder what the situation was like in Arabic (&/or French?) in Beirut. Even now I can't find anything good to learn things like Uzbek and Malagasy in any Western language (if anyone knows, please tell me!)
I can understand that he might really be modest and not want to be hassled all the time if he gets too much publicity. It seems to me that there’s a mutual exclusion between being a good multiple language student and having the business acumen (or even desire) to make lots of money!
I get a bit depressed sometimes too thinking how little polyglots are valued in this world - most other people have no idea of what it involves. I wouldn't claim to be one, since I can't speak any foreign languages fluently (which to me means like a native), but I've STUDIED an average of 1 language a year for last 30 years so have some vague inkling of the amount of work involved to learn them and, more importantly, to keep each of them alive. For example I've only read books in 10 languages, and although I try to listen to radio broadcasts I can only do this for a few languages each week. So most of these languages are probably in their death throes (or, more optimistically, in some pupal stage waiting to take wing some day?) It's interesting that both Fazah and Mezzofanti hardly travelled, for me that defeats the purpose of learning languages (unless you're interested in their literature). Living in another far-flung monolingual (though also multicultural) land like Brazil, I know just how hard it is to get practice.
Sure, you can learn spoken language from sailors, but not how to read (and most of your conversation might need to be censored!) And how many sailors were there visiting '70s Lebanon from Kyrgyzstan and Tibet? How much written material even now is available in Brazil in languages like Dzongkha and Lao? Even now in Laos it seems to me most people actually read Thai books (or just don’t read).
One thing that I can understand is that he learnt almost all his languages in that short time when everyone else was chasing girls. That’s the time (or a little later) when I started most of my languages that I can speak reasonably now; the last reasonable one I learnt at 23. After that it’s much harder to learn them well. Especially, since by then you’ve probably learnt most of the easy ones. Also, after you’ve learnt a certain number of languages from linguistic interest (which I’m sure is what stimulated Fazah), you discover fewer and fewer interesting new features in each language. After you’ve learnt Ukrainian I suspect you won’t find many interesting new linguistic features in Belarusan.
If as claimed his total vocabulary is ‘only’ 100 000 words (inc. Arabic and Portuguese?) that seems to me impossibly tiny to speak all these languages fluently.
There does seem to be quite a lot of exaggeration (whether on the part of the journalists &/or Fazah himself) as far as I can judge, but I would love to find out that this feeling is wrong!

victor
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 7098 days ago

1098 posts - 1056 votes 
6 sounds
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, FrenchC1, Mandarin
Studies: Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 31 of 377
28 August 2005 at 1:13pm | IP Logged 
Could "Singaporese" be Singlish (i.e. Singaporean English)?

andee
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 6857 days ago

681 posts - 724 votes 
3 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Korean, French

Message 32 of 377
28 August 2005 at 9:24pm | IP Logged 
Well, Singaporese could be Singlish. But Singlish is only the basilectal form of English used in Singapore. So basically a dialect of a dialect.

This discussion contains 377 messages over 48 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version