United States
Joined 6701 days ago

848 posts - 1862 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 337 of 377
04 October 2007 at 1:46am | IP Logged 
This clip and this site have made it onto Wikipedia:
Wikipedia Article

Here is a picture of Mr. Fazah on the TV show (blurb for July 7, 1997 states that he was unable to understand Egyptian?, Finnish, Chinese, Russian, Greek and Indian??):
Viva el lunes

Here is a wikipedia article in Spanish that says he was given the opportunity to appear on the show again, but that the results "were not any more prosperous", but with no further details: Spanish wikipedia article

2 persons have voted this message useful

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7003 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 338 of 377
04 October 2007 at 2:56am | IP Logged 
edwin wrote:

Please continue to wait on behalf of us.

Sure, patience is a virtue. I will keep busy while I am waiting. Others will probably have read the response before me, whenever it might be posted.

Walshy wrote:

At this moment in time, we can't deny the possibility that Dave was a conman, planning on charging money for the language lessons with Ziad and then probably taking off.

This is unbelievable about DaveM and Ziad could have been planning to cheat forum members

of their money and run. That is too sensationalistic. Personally I ask not to let your imagination go crazy.
Please, give DaveM a chance to reply.

None of us really know the true circumstances and the whole story. If it was based on the video alone it looks bad, but it is not the end all. Especially, when there is other information that probably will eventually surface.

1 person has voted this message useful

senor_smile
Diglot
United States
Joined 6168 days ago

110 posts - 115 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Russian

Message 339 of 377
04 October 2007 at 4:49pm | IP Logged 
I can't believe that I never saw this section of the forum. It seems to be a book in the making with the title "The legend of Ziad FazaH". I just read all of it today, starting at page one, and I have one additional question to pose. He is a lebanese, whose mother language is arabic. Someone with knowledge of the different dialects of Arabic please respond with information. Why, if Arabic is his mother language, did he "falló en varios de sus intentos, al tratar de traducir idiomas como el árabe egipcio..." failed in various attempts to TRY to translate languages such as Egyptian Arabic... as stated in the Spanish wikipedia. I must say, I didn't get a good chance to watch the video (choppy internet connection on an old laptop. I want to watch it when I get home tonight from class.) But, if that's the case, could the video really contain a man of lebanese descent that couldn't understand egyptian arabic? That's a seemingly incomprehensible contradiction that I can't get over, having read the entirety of the 40+ pages(that among the other seeming contradictions of information posted).

Edited by senor_smile on 04 October 2007 at 4:50pm

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6650 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 340 of 377
04 October 2007 at 6:21pm | IP Logged 
I'm afraid I don't have a very extensive knowledge of Arabic dialects, but Egyptian Arabic is said to be a rather widely understood dialect due to the fact that Egypt produces a lot of films in this dialect. I don't know how close it is to Lebanese, however.

Now, Ziad's understanding of Persian (Farsi) or Egyptian Arabic, notwithstanding, I wonder if the writers of the Spanish article did their homework, and are mistakingly saying that the Persian is the Egyptian dialect. If you look, the article mentions nothing about Farsi, and to the untrained eye or ear, one could possibly mistake the languages. In truth, however, Persian is an Indo-European language, whereas Arabic is Semitic. The scripts don't necessarily have any bearing on the actual language relation.

Edited by Journeyer on 04 October 2007 at 6:23pm

Walshy
Triglot
Australia
Joined 6724 days ago

335 posts - 365 votes 

Message 341 of 377
04 October 2007 at 9:38pm | IP Logged 
I feel bad now about the conman bit, it probably isn't true and it was wrong for me to say it, but I stand by everything else that I said.

senor_smile wrote:
I can't believe that I never saw this section of the forum. It seems to be a book in the making with the title "The legend of Ziad FazaH". I just read all of it today, starting at page one, and I have one additional question to pose. He is a lebanese, whose mother language is arabic. Someone with knowledge of the different dialects of Arabic please respond with information. Why, if Arabic is his mother language, did he "falló en varios de sus intentos, al tratar de traducir idiomas como el árabe egipcio..." failed in various attempts to TRY to translate languages such as Egyptian Arabic... as stated in the Spanish wikipedia. I must say, I didn't get a good chance to watch the video (choppy internet connection on an old laptop. I want to watch it when I get home tonight from class.) But, if that's the case, could the video really contain a man of lebanese descent that couldn't understand egyptian arabic? That's a seemingly incomprehensible contradiction that I can't get over, having read the entirety of the 40+ pages(that among the other seeming contradictions of information posted).

The video is much more concrete than the Spanish wiki anyway. There's no reason to take the wiki seriously, anyone can edit it and write whatever they want, after all.

morphy
Bilingual Triglot
Groupie
France
modernerasmus.com
Joined 6172 days ago

68 posts - 71 votes 
Speaks: French*, Arabic (Written)*, English
Studies: Spanish, German

Message 342 of 377
05 October 2007 at 2:47am | IP Logged 
senor_smile wrote:
   Why, if Arabic is his mother language, did he "falló en varios de sus intentos, al tratar de traducir idiomas como el árabe egipcio..." failed in various attempts to TRY to translate languages such as Egyptian Arabic... as stated in the Spanish wikipedia.   

That is simply not possible. Even for Lebanese people who don't necessarily like Egyptian cinema, there's no way of escaping their TV shows and becoming familiar with their dialect.

lloydkirk
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6195 days ago

429 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Russian

Message 343 of 377
05 October 2007 at 7:06am | IP Logged 
Even without exposure, I'm pretty sure that the levantine and egyptian dialects are mutually intelligible.

Walshy
Triglot
Australia
Joined 6724 days ago

335 posts - 365 votes 

Message 344 of 377
05 October 2007 at 8:40am | IP Logged 
Why does it even matter? What are you guys taking a freaking wikipedia article so seriously for?

This discussion contains 377 messages over 48 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version